christmas dinner emergency

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: christmas dinner emergency Reply with quote

it looks like i am going to have a bit of trouble this christmas ... my mum is coming again and i was going to cook dinner, no worries - i've done it the last few years and i cook a great roast Smile

the only problem is i managed to blow the oven door to pieces a little while back and the landlord still hasn't replaced it. so unless it gets fixed this week its looking like i'm going to have to do christmas dinner under the grill!

i did cook some chicken pieces and roast potatoes under it and they came out alright with a bit of messing around. initially the chicken was going to get burnt, so i wrapped it in foil for most of the cooking and just unwrapped it at the end to crisp the skin. the potatoes i just had to keep an eye on and keep turning, but they came out pretty good.

i can't say i'm looking forward to doing a whole christmas dinner under the grill though!

i was going to do duck again, we both like that. if i buy a whole duck and cut the breast bits off the bone - could i do that like the chicken? spike the skin, rub the breasts in 5 spice, wrap it in foil, drain the fat every now and then, and unwrap at the end to crisp the skin? that should work shouldn't it?!

anyone got any tips or ideas?

also, what would be the best way to use the rest of the meat the day after? cos you need the skin crispy! maybe i could peel the rest of the skin off and try and crisp it by frying or grilling it? and just pick the rest of the meat off the rest of the body and legs/wings and stir fry it adding the skin?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried cooking duck, but this guy seems to know a few tricks

(video gone)
luke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one, i feel a bit stupid now but i'd never thought of just frying it! i've always done duck in the oven - i didn't think you could really fry a whole duck breast, but that looks easy - might even go with the cranberry sauce as well - sounds nice

thanks Smile

you should try duck sometime faceless, rub it in chinese 5 spice and its lovely. do a roast with the two breasts and have the rest either in those chinese pancakes with spring onion and cucumber or a nice stir fry with hoisin sauce. you can get frozen duck at aldi and lidi usually for about £6, sainburys are doing one at the moment for £9.
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boil your spuds 'till they're almost done, and then fry 'em in olive oil on a medium heat. Have a go later on and see what you get. I love 'em ... chuck in a bit of rosemary or oregano ...
luke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i usually add some herbs with the potatoes and usually a bit of garlic like in the duck video

i might do the potatoes in a bit of the duck fat, goose fat is great for roast potatoes and i don't think duck fat is that much different

this talk of food has got me really hungry ... might have to do a fry up Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always have mashed potatoes. So that is another go to you can use if you want.
luke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot to say, but i did my xmas duck as in the video faceless posted, and it worked out great! i did the cranberry sauce as well, and when i was cooking it i didn't think it was going to work, it tasted quite weird, but when eaten with the duck it really worked well Smile

belated thanks faceless!

i'll definitely be doing the duck and cranberry sauce again
luke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn it, i wanted the recipe from that video for the cranberry sauce for the duck - and the videos gone! Sad
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry just saw this post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: