Obama's Race Speech ......
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Obama's Race Speech ...... Reply with quote

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/18/obama-race-speech-read-t_n_92077.html
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it stopped working for me at about 10 minutes, but I was getting bored of the patriotic bollocks by then anyway... still, he is going for the job of #1 Patriot I suppose!
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiles I read the speech ..... I think he had a lot of good things to say ......Things that made sense to me after living here for 15/16 years ..... Smile
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe we should move this to Galloway ??
nekokate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished listening to his audiobook "The Audacity of Hope" a few days ago. I also think he has a lot of good things to say, Aja. I'm 100% behind him Smile

You can get that audiobook in the downloads section if you want it.
Salim201

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd rather listen to ulysses read by francis maude
til661

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been particularly enamoured with some things related to Barack's campaign but that was truly superb. A Liberal with courage is a desperately needed thing right now.
nekokate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a tiny part of this speech I didn't care for much, but only a tiny part. When he talked about people blaming the trouble on "our stalwart allies such as Israel rather than radical Islamist extremism"

But without saying shit like that, he would have no chance of becoming the president, so it's all good. He's the best candidate, even if he's not perfect.
til661

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you said...You can't have everything Smile

I think this is an issue with the Liberal left in a more general sense, in that we lack the same cohesive spirit of those on the right, who will put aside small qualms to at least after elections. We tend to sacrifice 8 out of 10 things that will be better to protest against the two things that aren't. Of course, this can be a good thing in an idealist world, but in real-politik it is somewhat of a hindrance.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a Citizen of the USA .....but I have lived here forever ......And I think OBAMA is Their best bet ......
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
I finished listening to his audiobook "The Audacity of Hope" a few days ago. I also think he has a lot of good things to say, Aja. I'm 100% behind him Smile

You can get that audiobook in the downloads section if you want it.

Thanks Kate
nekokate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

til661 wrote:
As you said...You can't have everything Smile

I think this is an issue with the Liberal left in a more general sense, in that we lack the same cohesive spirit of those on the right, who will put aside small qualms to at least after elections. We tend to sacrifice 8 out of 10 things that will be better to protest against the two things that aren't. Of course, this can be a good thing in an idealist world, but in real-politik it is somewhat of a hindrance.

That's exactly how I view the world. The Left's main obstacle is its honesty. Right-wingers prosper because they don't care about lying and bending truths to suit them. The Left, or at least MY Left, is obsessed with the truth no matter how harmful to our own cause. That's why I never try and "spin" things Galloway says if I disagree, or indeed why I never try and spin world events when they don't suit my politics.

I call a spade a spade (at the same time as flicking it out of my deck of cards and into the eye of the nearest neo-con) :p
til661

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
That's exactly how I view the world. The Left's main obstacle is its honesty. Right-wingers prosper because they don't care about lying and bending truths to suit them. The Left, or at least MY Left, is obsessed with the truth no matter how harmful to our own cause. That's why I never try and "spin" things Galloway says if I disagree, or indeed why I never try and spin world events when they don't suit my politics.

I call a spade a spade (at the same time as flicking it out of my deck of cards and into the eye of the nearest neo-con) :p

*Puts on Devil's Advocate hat*

I'm not sure I'd go that far. There are plenty of people on the right who are sincere in their beliefs and plenty on the left who aren't. It's more about individuals and about the broader ideas of ideology. We just don't have as unified an ideology - one that the 'left' subscribes to.

Take the American Movement Conservatives - While being a variety of disparate and competing groups they allied with each other to achieve power and thus enact their own particular agenda. I don't see the same level of co-operation on the left.

Hopefully Mr. Obama can be that man in the US, now we just need one over here, without the messianic craziness of our previous version Mr. Blair Laughing
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the left is a far wider spectrum - because it's, in essence, the rich against the poor. There's a lot more of the 'poor', so therefore more of a divide, whereas the 'rich' have at their heart the protection of their money and will close ranks to protect it.

Some of the left would happily become the right if they had the money, and I'm sure a lot of the right would be happy with a more social situation if they accepted that the understanding they've received is not correct.

Meanwhile in utopia...
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the right side of the spectrum is not the exclusive domain of the rich. I know many working-class folks who are right-wing, anti-union, or care more about sports than what's happening in the ~75% of the world that is populated by people who aren't European descendants.

I blame the media and our schools. We don't really learn history except in neatly packaged sound-bites. But sometimes these opinions are just handed down from parents to children. So it's a difficult cycle to break out of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: