David Davis...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the clarification both, that really stinks.

Hey, maybe they'll put Tim Martin up as the Noo Labor candidate. He'd fit in nicely with the rest of the scumbags Smile
nekokate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I was just watching 'This Week' and Kelvin Mackenzie said that he has the backing of Rupert Murdoch to stand against Davis.

I think I'm gonna puke!
luke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ex-Sun man to challenge Davis

FORMER Sun editor Kelvin MacKenzie is planning to stand as a candidate in the by-election forced by David Davis' resignation.

Mr Davis announced he was stepping down as an MP and Shadow Home Secretary yesterday in a stand against the government's "attack on civil liberties" over the 42-day terror detention plan.

But he vowed to fight the resulting by-election on the issue of defending "British liberties".

The Liberal Democrats have already said they would not field a candidate in the election for the constituency of Haltemprice and Howden as they agreed with Mr Davis' opposition to the plans.

But Mr MacKenzie, a vocal supporter of the 42-day detention plan passed by a narrow margin of MPs on Wednesday, said he would challenge Mr Davis.

The Sun columnist said he was approached by the paper's proprietor Rupert Murdoch and current editor Rebekah Wade who suggested he could step up to the challenge.

And bookies Ladbrokes has given the tough talker odds of 16/1 to win the seat.

Mr MacKenzie insisted the step was "not a publicity stunt" and he would be "doing it on behalf of The Sun."

Defending claims the by-election could become a pantomime, he said: "It would be a bigger pantomime if David Davis were allowed to stand alone. That would be shocking for democracy."

He earlier said: "I don’t feel my civil liberties as being at risk but I view my life as being at risk if I am on the Tube or the train and some bad guy wants to blow me up or blow my family up.

"So I am willing to do anything to avoid that."

"The Sun is very hostile to David Davis because of his stand," he said.

Speaking about the former Shadow Home Secretary's resignation and subsequent by-election, Mr MacKenzie added: "This is a bizarre cost to the taxpayer."

from the sun
Comsatangel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A total fucking prick. Yet another idiot who believes that this law applies only to those with dark skin and of Islamic persuasion. When will these fuckwits realise that this could apply to any one of us. From frail pensioners demonstrating against the closure of their village post offices, to students checking out a load of books on islamic fundamentalism from their local library to write a politics and history paper.

It is the government of the day which will decide who or what constitutes a terrorist. Who knows who will be in charge in 20years. These are not disimilar to the powers that Hitler awarded himself on becoming chancellor of Germany.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's at times like this that the internet stops being a useful method for sharing information and becomes an albatross round our necks.

I'm surprised that Chakrabarti has bothered her arse on this as it seems such a snide and petty accusation.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is The Independent s..t stirring in this article ? I got the impression the above article is sensationalising and propagating the rumour / gossip - and dressing it up as investigative journalism.

This isn't any fault of the internet .. but the main stream media (The Independent) giving a platform for such gossip.

Indeed, there is almost no chance Shami would resort to legal action in these circumstances.

There have been a number of recent articles in the The Independent which show a marked right wing shift. I will consider above as another example.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're probably right Mandy - they seem to float with the breeze rather than having a reliable attitude. Here's a follow-up to the story.

Deputy Labour leader Harriet Harman 'ordered Minister to apologise to Shami'
By Daily Mail Reporter
21st June 2008

Labour deputy leader Harriet Harman told embattled Culture Secretary Andy Burnham to apologise for smearing a civil liberties campaigner about her relationship with Tory David Davis. Sources close to Mr Burnham told The Mail on Sunday that Miss Harman advised him that the best way to end the controversy was to say sorry to director of Liberty Shami Chakrabarti.

He wrote to Miss Chakrabarti on Friday, saying he had meant no offence - but stopped short of a full apology. Mr Burnham had been attacked by MPs from all parties for claiming Miss Chakrabarti shared 'late-night, hand-wringing, heart-melting phone calls' with Mr Davis in their joint campaign against the Government's plan to detain terror suspects for up to 42 days without trial.

Publicly, Miss Harman defended Mr Burnham's response, but The Mail on Sunday understands that, privately, she took a much tougher stance.

Former Shadow Home Secretary Mr Davis is forcing a by-election in his Haltemprice and Howden seat in East Yorkshire. He and Miss Chakrabarti, both happily married to other people, have denied any improper relationship.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david ickes standing as well!

nekokate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how David Icke always says of his ridiculous actions "Of course people will ridicule me, but that just proves blah, blah, blah..."

You could say that about anything. It's a pseudo-intellectual version of a get out of jail free card. The BNP use exactly the same tactic. "Of course the majority hate us! Let them hate us! Blah fucking blah!"

I wonder what's worse? Lizards or niggers?
luke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you read that neko? it says 'Yes, of course, the mainstream media will ridicule me, but so what's new?' - where does he say that proves anything? where has he ever said him being ridiculed proves anything?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we had a two-party state and it was either Ickey or the BNP, I'd vote lizards every time!
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
where did you read that neko? it says 'Yes, of course, the mainstream media will ridicule me, but so what's new?' - where does he say that proves anything? where has he ever said him being ridiculed proves anything?

It's a tactic he uses. He doesn't say that ridicule proves anything, but he strongly implies it by even mentioning it. It's one of the first rules of cynical debate. If you start a controversial statement by saying "I know you're all going to hate me for saying this, but..." then you automatically and subconsciously get a lot of the audience who would otherwise totally dismiss you to listen.

David Icke uses this very often. He gets people to give his totally insane bullshit ideas 5 minutes by specifically saying "I know people think this is crazy, but..."

And, Icke, if you're reading this; It's not only the mainstream media who ridicule you, darling. It's everyone with a brain. I'm as left-wing as fuck, and I think you're a fucking idiot.
luke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess you'd have to lump me in with those without a brain then - i quite like david icke Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
It's not only the mainstream media who ridicule you, darling. It's everyone with a brain. I'm as left-wing as fuck, and I think you're a fucking idiot.

Hold up, it's not left-wing to condemn someone for your perception of their mental state when he's not aggressive or damaging. I've heard Icke say some mad stuff in the past, but recently he seems a lot more focused.

But it's always going to take a long time to make sense of the amount of information he's opened himself up to.
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you make of GGs ridiculing of Ickey then? I kind of approve of it. I think people need to be steered away from people like him because he dilutes the credibility of left-wing thought. There might be a lot of truth to some of the other things he talks about, but there are plenty of other people who talk about those things without then going "...and shape-shifting lizard overlords from outer-space are taking over the world". People like Chomsky and Gore Vidal.

Frankly, even if a guy was saying some things that made sense but he was walking around on stilts with a pair of underpants on his head, I'd be rather embarrassed to be listening to him and I'd seek out someone with similar ideas but wearing a suit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: