Countdown
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Fry has already been on the show as one of the guests - a few times.

I take it you're not a fan of games that challenge your intellect?
SquareEyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy! That was uncalled for. I'm a good olde Yorkshire lad, and hence smart Smile

QI is one of my fave shows. I love Fry - anything he does - radio or TV. Can't get enough or the curly-nosed intellectual ;)

As I've been out of the UK for nearly 10 years though, I can't claim to have seen every recent ep of Countdown :p
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it was uncalled for at all - why do you think it's lowbrow and tripe?
SquareEyes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop replying to my posts before I've had chance to see them, think "what a twat I am" and then edit them!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha ok
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Countdown anagram nobody wanted to solve: How TV contestants avoided a VERY rude answer
24th March 2010

Hosts of top TV show Countdown were left with red faces when the F-word popped up by surprise. Numbers girl Rachel Riley cringed as the letters U, D, F, C, K, E all came up in the contestant's selection - and host Jeff Stelling gave a wry smile.

Viewers sat with bated breath in case the two contestants decided to go for the obvious six-letter word - and trigger a flood of complaints. But the two quiz entrants spared the blushes of Countdown - by plumping for safe five letter words instead.

The swear word was among nine letters including A, G and O in the list on the popular afternoon quiz show marking its 5,000 edition tomorrow. But instead of putting the six letters together for the ancient Anglo Saxon expletive, the contestants went for 'caged' and 'faced'.

And the Channel 4 programme was spared from further embarrassment when Jeff Stelling went to dictionary corner with a glint in his eye and a familiar smirk. Stelling, expected the worst as he asked expert Susie Dent: 'Any advance on five?' But she dug out two seven-letter words of 'dogface' and 'dockage'. Dent was joined in Dictionary corner by MasterChef host Greg Wallace and the pair managed to stay straight-faced on Tuesday's show.

Viewer Douglas Bedford said: 'As soon as the letters were picked, the swear word just seemed to jump out at you. You could see Jeff Stelling and Rachel had spotted it so everyone thought the contestants had too. But they played safe by going for shorter words even though it meant scoring less points. It was very funny to see their embarrassment.'

--------------

thumbs
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a handful: Cheeky producers leave Countdown contestants blushing with 'large baps' clue on quiz show
15th December 2010

There have been plenty of double entendres and cheeky contestants coming up with rude answers over the years. But Countdown really raised giggles in audiences and contestants alike yesterday when producers settled on a very suggestive final word scramble.

Eyebrows were raised on the afternoon show when the clue letters spelled out 'LARGEBAPS.' Host Jeff Stelling struggled to keep a straight face as the jumble word's solution was revealed to be 'GRASPABLE.' Stelling, who also presents Sky Sports Soccer Saturday show, acknowledged the situation saying: 'That's quite brilliant, I thought that was an impossible conundrum.'

A spokesman for Channel 4 said: 'I think viewers of the show will be aware of the tongue in cheek nature of the show. It's really up to the viewer to construe whether they think the combination of clue and answer was inappropriate. All of the shows content is carefully considered to make sure it is suitable for broadcast at that time of day. The conundrum, including yesterday’s, is always decided by producers,' the spokesman added. 'I think it is fair to say the staff on Countdown have a great sense of humour.'

---------------------

It would have been funnier if it wasn't intentional, but still... large baps! Laughing
luke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread needs more rachel riley Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this as a stopgap?

Shocked Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> General TV All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: