Outlook Express

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilycup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Outlook Express Reply with quote

I use Outlook Express and I was checking my e-mails and when I went to close it, it asked to compact the messages. I didn't hesitate and clicked ok because it's not been a problem in the past.

I've just come back to check my e-mail and have found that around 400 e-mails have gone. I would really like to get them back if possible, and I wondered if anyone knew how.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of this happening lily..... wish I could help. But I'll certainly think twice about clicking yes the next time I get that message.
lilycup

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, eefanincan. It is said to happen if you click cancel while it's in the process of happening, or if you do something else on your computer while it's doing it.

I didn't click cancel, and I actually went away and did something else while it was going on, so who knows why it happened.
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had this happen to me but then I've not had 400 emails either. Whew! Smile

Would a system restore help?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a process to save space and time with all your emails - if you press F1 while in outlook you should be able to find some info on how to get the files back... failing that, a system restore as Ally said should do the trick (press F1 on the desktop and type system restore into the search thing that comes up to start this, remembering of course to set the date to before the time this happened!)
lilycup

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help faceless and Ally, unfortunately the system restore didn't work but I didn't know about system restore before hand, so it will be a good tool now.
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't sure if a system restore would work for emails anyway.

Maybe something like this would help.

http://www.nsware.com/Repair-Tool-for-Outlook-Express.htm

The trial version of the program can be downloaded from http://www.nsware.com/download/oerepair.zip. The evaluation time is 30 days.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

http://www.tutorialsall.com/IE6/Outlook-Express-381135/

I don't know if these sites will help! But it's worth a look.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Outlook, try going to "file/import/messages" and look for your compressed file in your documents folder.. that might work
lilycup

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help, guys. I really appreciate it Smile I'll look through those things and see if I can get the messages back, if not then it's ok. The e-mails aren't super important, but I do like to have them for reference, and thankfully it wasn't all of the e-mails.

I saw something that is "supposed" to work, but it's $25, and as the e-mails aren't that important I'll just do without them if I can't get them back. One of my friends had this happen and downloaded a crack version of the program, but it didn't work - but that could just have been because it was a crack version.

Thank you again!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: