The state of journalism....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colston

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: The state of journalism.... Reply with quote

Quote:
Malia, on the island's northern coast, is renowned for brawls between British tourists who also pick on locals.

I'm not sure if it makes me angry or just leaves me feeling sad about what a host of people get fed every day..

This was hidden in a report about the death of the UK girl in Malia in the Sun...

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it gets my blood going too - I bet it's just English tourists.

devil
Colston

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Yeah, it gets my blood going too - I bet it's just English tourists.

devil

Laughing
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Crete for about two years. Worked mainly on the south coast, but did work to the west of Chania, in the vineyards, olive groves and olive oil factories there.

I left in '87.

10 years later, my wife took me to Athens for my 40'th. We spent a couple of weeks or so in Crete, and I showed her the old haunts. If we go west of Chania for about 15 kms, we come to Platanias. A once fine village, picture postcard stuff. Rolling vines and groves.

No more.

They have squandered all that for 3 months of hell looking after "touristrias". Putting them up in immediately run down concrete constructions that look like old cobwebs, dirty dusty and drab, and another 9 months wishing that there were more of 'em, 'cause they have to pay for it all. Ho, hum.
I have little sympathy for the locals, or most of 'em, because I also know that there are those who hate it more than me, I found some.

But that's the way it is.

I also spent some time in Rhodes. At that time there were loads of young British couples going on 18 to 30's trips to the once fine village of Lardos.

Same shit. But that was in 87 not 97, not 2010.

There was one couple that I remember in particular. I talked to both, they were having a hard time, but were both good folk.
A waiter "got off" with herself.
I went ape. I think I really frightened him, but looking back, for what? It has always happened, and will still happen in 20 years time.
Every time that I hear of a story like this one I remember that scene.

I also remember the first time I got really drunk with retsina ...

All in all, it's a bad mix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: