The Dentist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: The Dentist Reply with quote

I'm just back in from the worst visit to the dentist I've ever had. I needed a root canal done on one and an extraction of one that had had a crown for the past few years. I've never had a problem with injections unless it's in the lower jaw, and that's just where this was. I almost in bloody tears at one point!

The dentist is on the other side of the city too, so I've had to get two trains back, with blood still oozing from the side of my mouth... I got more than a few funny looks.. haha

but this is no fun at all - the sound of him cracking the tooth that needed extracting, and then the smell of the decayed part of it was truly sickening! Blech... and he said I shouldn't smoke for 24 hours as it would be sore. Yeah right, 'doc'... that's what cocodamol's for!
luke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unlucky face, that sounds nasty Shocked

coincidentally, a friend of mine had to have a tooth out yesterday, she fainted after they'd done the work!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to sit for a bit to get my bearings back as it was really quite intense, so I can see why she might have fainted. It took 3 injections to numb it, and I've only just got the feeling back... at least it's not sore though
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a month ago today that I had my tooth out (lower jaw as well)--- so I well know what you're going through.

Can't understand why they only gave you three injections for freezing --- they must have done at least half a dozen for mine. Regardless of how it's done, it's no different than any other surgery, so I can see how you felt woozy afterwards. Best to rest for a couple of days if you can.

The not smoking for 24hrs --- hate to say it, but if you can avoid it, you will heal much better and have a better chance of avoiding "dry socket".

Hang in there and get some sleep, use some ice packs for the rest of today, 20 min on, 20 min off -- should help a fair bit.
SquareEyes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 2 teeth out over the last couple of years. Its nasty. Wait until you've had one break off and they have to dig-in with a thing that looks like a weapon in Alien vs Predator to get the rest of the molar out...

It feels like someone has violated your whole mouth.

I've got some kind of immunity to normal doses of anesthetics too. They really have to pump it in me. I hate the needle.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's pretty much what he had to do - because it had a crown fitted a few years back it was already pretty much just a stump, so the digging and drilling to get a purchase on it was pretty rough.

I told him after that I felt like I'd been in a fight - and I wasn't kidding!
SquareEyes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - at least your avatar is probably accurate at the moment ;)

Sorry you had a rough time.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing We are all alike here on the couch..... they had to dig my roots out, same as the two of you. Thank goodness for strong post-op medication!
Twirley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG - I shouldn't have read this post. I go to the dental surgeon on Fri 5th Mar to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth out! Been putting this off for over 10 years and now they've finally convinced me to have them out by saying I'll be partially asleep. I HATE the dentist!!!

And my lovely nails that have taken me weeks to grow and are currently looking lovely (although I say so myself) will be bitten to the quick. Yikes! nervous
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twirley wrote:

And my lovely nails that have taken me weeks to grow and are currently looking lovely (although I say so myself) will be bitten to the quick. Yikes! nervous

Nah..... drugs are good twirls, drugs are good Smile You'll feel so much better when all is said and done. A couple of people I worked with each had their 4 wisdom teeth removed just before Christmas and they never even got swollen or bruised. We'll keep our fingers crossed all goes well for you Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that face. It sounds horrible for sure. My poor mom has had to go to the dentist a lot lately. Years of never having issues and now shes having them! At least she has all of her own teeth (save one that started the problems) so I am hoping I am pretty much the same way.

Twirls, I am sure you will be fine. I'm with eefan, drugs are good Smile
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering how your tooth/mouth is doing face --- hopefully it's healing well Smile

@Twirls..... good luck with things today --- I'm sure you'll do very well.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not infected any more - it just took a few days to clear up. Now I've had to learn how to eat differently as it was a molar so now I'm eating mainly on the other side of my mouth... bah!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did too and then developed a bone spur in the "empty" spot where the molar was.... but fortunately that seemed to resolve itself (I wasn't looking forward to another surgery!).

Gosh.... I'm beginning to think we need our own personal dentist here on the couch Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: