2010 Winter Olympics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kez - right back atcha! It would be awesome to be there with all of the Couch Hockey Freaks! I am with you on the coverage thing...my dvr is working overtime!

@ eefan - No parade? No ticker tape? Maybe she will win lots more and then she can have a parade. Laughing
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
@Kez - right back atcha! It would be awesome to be there with all of the Couch Hockey Freaks! I am with you on the coverage thing...my dvr is working overtime!

@ eefan - No parade? No ticker tape? Maybe she will win lots more and then she can have a parade. Laughing

Maybe she'll get a free frickin' Egg McMuffin or something at McDonalds, but that's about as much as we're likely to do. That being said, I think she goes to uni in Calgary, so not sure how much/soon she'll be back here.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been watching the ski-cross and thought it was great - exciting stuff...

the commentators mentioned that Canada are playing the USA at Ice Hockey tonight and that the police are concerned that there might be crowd trouble! That would be funny and mad at the same time.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been watching a bit of the ski-cross as well..... not sure if I like it or the snowboarding cross better.

A Canada - USA match is almost always guaranteed to be a good match, and yet, it's really just like an NHL game with all the players out of place. We'll have to see about the crowd trouble though......
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW --- apparently there isn't any trouble with the crowds in Vancouver because the US Men's Hockey team beat Canada 5-3! Talk about an upset victory -- and the game was soooo intense and fast-paced; I'm just now catching my breath. nervous

I've spent the day watching ice hockey (1) Russia v Czech Republic, (2) USA v Canada and looking forward to (3) Sweden v Finland in @ 1 hour.

Would love to be talking trash with my fellow "Hockey 'Trippers" -- maybe in 2014? LOL shake hands

But it's not over yet for hockey - Canada's still in contention along with the Russians, Swedes, Finns ... it's been an exciting competition thus far and I'm loving it! clap

EDITED TO ADD:

NHL Commissioner Bettman now being interviewed on MSNBC and said that the NHL is not committed to sending its players to the 2014 Olympics as of yet and did not state when a decision would be made. One of his arguments is that the 2014 Olympics will be +8 hours from the US Eastern Time Zone so no games will be played in North American prime-time and thus, hockey won't get as much prime-time television exposure as it is when it's played in North America.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What a crock of sh*t. If I didn't have cable TV, I wouldn't see hardly ANY Olympic hockey. I think maybe ONE game has been shown on national TV? The rest have been on the USA network and CNBC (at least where I live). nevermind
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I do have issues with pro athletes being in the Olympics at all.......... Gary Bettman is a downright prick who should just shut up about, well, everything. Don't know anyone who likes him.

What a bullshit reason not to send players.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do too, eefan, but now that it is the norm for some of the Olympic sports, then they should be able to go play for their country. In European football (soccer), I could be wrong but, I think that even though teams have to release players, if they make their country's team for World Cup or Africa's Cup of Nations or World Cup qualifying, it is pretty much a fore gone conclusion that they will play for their country. The club team just does without them until they get back.

Bettman is just a plank. I don't think I have ever seen an appearance by him when he wasn't booed by the fans. Jerk....

I will be wearing my US jersey to class tonight!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the football in the Olympics the teams are supposed to be under-23 I think, though they might have changed that.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure on that one face.......interesting point though. Would keep out a lot of pro athletes if that's the case.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Men's Olympic Hockey: Did Russia and Finland get the memo that this is THE OLYMPICS? crazed Laughing

The Russia v Canada game was a real disappointment - not just for the game itself but also for the "Crosby v Ovechkin" media circus.

Now USA is going for the gold on Sunday -- will find out later if they'll face Canada! dancer
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There sure were an awful lot of lopsided games, that is for sure. I have really only watched the hockey and curling...some of the snowboarding...I can't bring myself to watch any of the skating events. An unholy use of skates! Laughing
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like it is going to be the US v Canada for the Gold. It should be a good game. My USA 1980 throwback jersey is all washed and ready to go!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be a good game --- I'll be watching for sure Smile

Please don't take this as an anti-US rant (I would say the same thing if Canada were in this situation), but I was really disappointed with the women's US hockey team when they won the silver medal. They looked like total sucks that they lost the gold. I mean, you knew going into the game that very worst you could do would be silver--- not a bad spot to be in at all. I understand sadness at losing the gold, but c'mon, people, you won silver!!! The bronze medalists from Finland were SO happy.

That being said, I'm getting a little sick of some Canadian's attitude being that we "own" hockey and are assuming we'll just win the gold. What a load of crap. I seriously wonder if they have a love of the sport or are just supremely arrogant. (we're not all that way Smile )
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's only one way to find out who's best....

FIGHT!!!!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
there's only one way to find out who's best....

FIGHT!!!!

Laughing Very true --- may the best team win!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: