2010 Winter Olympics
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: 2010 Winter Olympics Reply with quote

Just curious if any Trippers were going to the Winter Olympics this February? I would LOVE to go for the hockey (surprise, surprise), but also enjoy the snowboarding and downhill skiing.
blizzard

Wish I could attend, but I'll have to settle for watching it on TV.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always enjoy the Winter Olympics more than the Summer ones, but they should get rid of all ice-dancing, or include ballet in the Summer games and be done with it!

I'd love to have a go at the luge, though I'd want a more comfortable tea-tray to sit on.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still paying for the World Cup in 2006!! Laughing I would love to be sitting right next to ya Kez, waiting for them to drop the puck, but alas, no live Olympics for me.

I have to agree with you, Face on the Ice Dancing although I would rather they get rid of it than add ballet!! Down with Torville and Dean!!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
I am still paying for the World Cup in 2006!! Laughing I would love to be sitting right next to ya Kez, waiting for them to drop the puck, but alas, no live Olympics for me.

I have to agree with you, Face on the Ice Dancing although I would rather they get rid of it than add ballet!! Down with Torville and Dean!!

Laughing Add my vote to yours.... although I will admit, I did enjoy Torville & Dean.

I always enjoy the Winter Olympics much more than the summer ones, especially the hockey (Spurs, Kez -- we'd make a great trio out there to drop the puck!).... sadly the closest I will get to the Olympics is when the flame came a mile from our house last week. I did get a pair of the red mittens (a hot item in Canada!) for Christmas though Smile

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luge competitor Nodar Kumaritashvili killed in training accident
The Vancouver Winter Olympics was plunged into the blackest of shadows following the death of a Georgian luge competitor just hours before the razzamattaz of the opening ceremony.
By Jacquelin Magnay
12 Feb 2010

Olympic officials worked frantically to save the life of 21 year-old Nodar Kumaritashvili, who crashed at a speed of more than 90mph on one of the most dangerous sections of the luge run that has previously been criticised for its extreme design.

Countries have also complained about the lack of training on the course, as Canada limited access to it so that their competitors would have a home town advantage.

In an official statement, the International Olympic Committee said doctors were unable to revive him who died in hospital. “Our first thoughts are with the family, friends and colleagues of the athlete. The whole Olympic Family is struck by this tragedy, which clearly casts a shadow over these Games”, said IOC president Jacques Rogge.

The crash happened on curve 16, known as Thunderbird, where sliders are hit by five and a half G forces – more than an F1 driver. Kumaritashvili came up too high, banged down into the inside wall and then was flicked into a metal pole,holding up a roof. He had also crashed during the first training run the day before in a similar spot.

President of the World Luge Federation Joseph Fendt said: ‘’The track is too fast. We had planned it to be a maximum of 137 km/h but it is about 20km/h faster. We think this is a planning mistake.’’

Training was immediately cancelled and the opening luge event has been suspended until officials restructure the track to make it safer. Kumaritashvili’s death came shortly after the very experienced two time Olympic gold medalist Armin Zoegller of Italy crashed. He slid for 200m and was unhurt. Australian womens luge competitor Hannah Campbell-Pegg said two days ago that the lugers were being treated as crash test dummies down a dangerous course.

US slider Tony Benshoof the physics of the curves meant there was no margin for error. "On the first run, I had some problems in the lower portion of the track. Because of the physics of the curves, and going at 95 miles per hour, there's a really small margin for error. You really need to get it right from curve nine to get as far as curve 13, because once you get to curve 11 and 12, you're going too fast to correct yourself."

The death is the fifth that has occurred at the Winter Olympic Games – all of them happening during training – and the first since 1992 in Albertville, when a skier died during a demonstration sport of speed skiing.

-----------

A pretty nasty start...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I avoid both summer and winter Olympics. Blech. But you all enjoy!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to everyone's non surprise, I, too am waiting for the hockey, as well as some of the skiing and snowboarding events. I haven't really watched the figure skating since Peggy Flemming retired and I still say DOWN WITH TORVILLE AND DEAN!! And I only single them out because they are names I can remember... Laughing
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see the opening ceremonies? Dear God, that had to be the worst rendition of O Canada I've ever heard! The girls' voice was ok, but the composition was horrible.... I almost didn't recognize my own national anthem.

Glad to see they did a moment of silence in rememberence of the Georgian athlete who was killed.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone watching the games? Tonight I'm watching the men's hockey (Canada vs Norway) and womens curling (Canada vs Switzerland).

Saw a bit of the snow cross race the other day and am quite getting into this sport.

What are all of you watching?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot it was on, so I just switched over... and it's the curling about to start. I'm not a fan, but I wouldn't mind seeing the hockey
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Canada won in both the women's curling against the Swiss and against Norway in Men's hockey. Medal games should be interesting.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Sweden and Germany tonight... Matias Ohlund scored the first one for the Swedes (he plays for the Lightning) so I was pleased. I am having a hard time keeping up with when games are on, so I am catching them as I can. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Finland won today or yesterday too. Not sure who they had in goal, but our goalie, Antero Niitymaki, got the call for Finland, so hopefully he has a win under his belt.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about that Spurs..... I'm watching mostly Canadian games since that's what's being broadcast here Smile

As much as I enjoy the mens ice hockey games, it's really just like the NHL with everyone mixed up a bit, on different teams.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The death of the Georgian luge athlete was horrific. I watched the footage just the once. The decision to acknowledge his death at the Opening Ceremony was gracious and appropriate.

2. I really enjoyed the "Fiddlers From the East" segment - brilliant stuff. Although my dad lived in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, he never mentioned "Newfoundland Screech". Inside family joke, but heck: that 'splains a lot! Cool

3. Olympic Hockey coverage in the US has been weak at best -- really have to stay on top of the TV listings and set the Tivo to record overnight.

But heck, I'd LOVE to be sitting with my fellow 'Trippers up there in Vancouver -- how cool would that be? high5

4. Just finished watching the US-Norway hockey game. Smile

5. Looking forward to the US-Canada hockey match on Sunday. Canada is heavily favoured, but you never know ..... victory
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindy Klassen from London, Ontario just won a gold in women's 1000m speed skating! I do hope we do something for her here when she gets back home, but know London, the best she'll get is her photo on the front page of the paper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: