2009 - 2010 National Hockey League: Give blood, play hockey!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: 2009 - 2010 National Hockey League: Give blood, play hockey! Reply with quote

And so it begins:

From previous posts:

eefanincan wrote:
Kezza wrote:
We'll have to start a 2009-2010 hockey thread soon as well......opening day is 1 October 2009! However, the Caps won't see the Lightning until Monday 7 December...probably a good thing, since it will give you guys more time to prepare for the "Red Menace"!!! nyer Laughing Laughing

Good idea Kezza! Why don't you start the thread ??? Smile

(I would like to insert some sort of smart remark about the Toronto Maple Leafs here, but, alas, their only strong season is golfing season Laughing)

SpursFan1902 wrote:
Very funny, eefan! I have to say the same is true for the Lightning. Yep, I say we start a 2009-2010 Hockey Thread. I cna't wait for the season to start.

Do either of you have season tix to your respective teams? The Lightning practically gave them to me so I had to take them. It was an awesome price...

@Kezza - We are going to need that time, for sure! I went to our prospect scrimmage and skills comp and I must say, the young guys look pretty good....and they can play hockey too! ;)

As always at this time during the year, there is hope!

Well, the pre-season began this evening and my Washington Capitals beat the Buffaloony Sabres 4-3. Yeah, I know it's only pre-season, but a win is a win! (Of course if the Caps had lost, I would've ended that sentence with "it's only pre-season" Razz )

I am a partial-season ticket holder: for the first time in the club's history, all season ticket packages are sold out and there is a waiting list. Just a couple of years ago you could walk up to the box office & buy $10.00 seats on game day, but no more. It has a lot to do with Alexander Ovechkin and his mad skills that have brought a lot of new spectators (and ticket touts) to the sport. Oh well.

So, I'm going to a pre-season game on Sunday 27 Sep vs. the NY Rangers (it so sucks that Donald Brashear is now that prick Sean Avery's teammate: I always wanted to see Brash open a can of whoop-ass on pesky little Sean, but no more).

Then, the opener is Thursday 1 October.

I'm also attending the Capitals' home opener on Saturday 3 October v. the Maple Leafs & I can't wait. The place will be rocking!

Let the trash-talking begin!!! Laughing Cool
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you enjoy the game Kez! I would like the say that my Leafs will give the Caps a challenge, but I'm thinking not! Still, I'll be watching from home (I have been sadly missing my Hockey Night in Canada!!!!) and looking for you in the stands Smile (can you hold up a sign that says Hi eefan! so I know who you are ??? Laughing)

Edit: Ok, I have just found out that they are not broadcasting the game on Sat. night, so save the sign for another game Laughing (but you can yell at the ref on my behalf!)
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As posted, I am going tonight to our only home preseason game with my nephew (he loves the escalator and asking at the end of the game "Did we win?"). Our season is looking up. We lost to Dallas in overtime on Wednesday without our 3 top stars (no pun intended), and by all accounts the new guys looked good. I will see for myself tonight.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised to find out that the Leafs have already won a game, so maybe there's some hope for this season..............
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep the Lightning too...we thrashed the Thrashers 2-1 in OT. We lost in OT at Dallas on Tues or Weds...We looked good and my nephew and I had a good time...even though we got soaked getting to the car. It was pouring...
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
Yep the Lightning too...we thrashed the Thrashers 2-1 in OT. We lost in OT at Dallas on Tues or Weds...We looked good and my nephew and I had a good time...even though we got soaked getting to the car. It was pouring...

That's called taking one for the team Laughing (only in Canada it's snow and ice instead of rain!)
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a story that most of Ontario has been following this summer. Jim Balsillie has been attempting to bid on and purchase the Coyotes to bring them to Hamilton, Ont. so that we'd have two NHL teams instead of just the Maple Leafs. It's been a pretty hot topic and for the most part, people where I live are very much in favour of it. The NHL and the Maple Leafs are horribly against it, because right now the Leafs have the monopoly on pro hockey. I live about an hour or so from Hamilton and a good 90 min -2 hr from Toronto so would love to see another team here. Plus, you can't get a ticket to the Leafs to save your life. I tried back in the spring/early summer to get two tickets for October (when my husband & I will be in Toronto for a few days) and they were all sold out. Sure, I can take a chance and drive up there to see if I can get some standby ones, but it's expensive to get there from the hotel, park, etc. without the guarantee of tickets. So, what I'm saying is there's room for competition. I think Gary Bettman has a stick up his ass and needs to let this go through.

Here's the link: Coyotes / Basille Timeline
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny you would say that eefan, 'cause that is exactly I told my nephew! I said be glad we are not in Canada, 'cuz this would be snow! His eyes got really big and said "really?"...gotta love little guys!

As for the Coyotes going to Toronto...I say go for it. They are struggling where they are and if they can make a profit, buy better players and improve in Toronto all the while giving the Leafs some competition...it doesn't get any better than that! As for Gary Bettman...well don't get me started!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightning won again last night against the above mentioned Coyotes. With the exception of the home game, we are doing this without our stars (Lecavillier, St. Louis, Stamkos, et al..) so that Coach Rick can get a look at the rest of the field. It is getting to the point where I am just ready for the season to start already!! Our home opener is on 10/8 against the NJ Devils.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a good time Smile I'm with you, can't wait for the season to start.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
So, what I'm saying is there's room for competition. I think Gary Bettman has a stick up his ass and needs to let this go through.

Here's the link: Coyotes / Basille Timeline

Wow, this situation is a carbon-copy of what happened recently in Major League Baseball. Washington was fighting for a team, but the Baltimore ownership was against it because they believed that a team in Washington would diminish their attendance. Well, DUH, of course it would because if you live in Virginia and went up to Baltimore, Maryland on a weekend, you would see a parking lot full of cars with Virginia licence plates.

So concessions were made to the Baltimore, Maryland ownership and DC finally got their team: formerly the Montreal Expos, now the Washington Nationals. And, no, the Nats aren't doing well, but I recently attended a game where the crowd numbered 17,000+. Not bad for a team with a losing record BUT it shows that the fan base is here.

The stadiums are only 40 miles apart, but with traffic, it can take anywhere from 50 minutes to 1-1/2 hours to get up to Baltimore from DC.

And in Canada, where hockey RULES, I totally agree that there is room as well as a fan base for a new team in Ontario.

The Washington Capitals home opener is this Saturday vs. the Maple Leafs, btw! I always enjoy hearing the Canadian national anthem sung by a group wearing Caps jerseys! Razz I'm definitely looking forward to it!!!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love singing Oh Canada! It used to be the ringtone on my old phone... Our season opener is this Saturday at Atlanta (I think), but I will be at the Metallica show, so I will just have to look at the box score in the AM (or PM depending on when I get up!! ) I will defo be in attendance at the home opener against the Devils. Gol Bolts!!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally missed the game as we were out on Saturday night Laughing

Oh Canada can be a horrible anthem if it's not sung by the right person/group. But I think the US anthem is a much harder song to sing--- but I love it when it's sung well Smile (I learned the US anthem from watching hockey!)
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well I learned Oh Canada from hockey. I just think it shows a bit of respect...plus it is fun to sing. Our anthem is very hard to sind and can sound like a funeral durge if sung wrong. We have a duo that does alot of the anthems at the St Pete Times Forum, where the Lightning play. It is a singer and a guy with a guitar and they are awesome. They make both anthems sound really good and the man has a lower voice so it is easier to sing along. We love them...
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What drives me nuts about the singing of the U.S. National Anthem in DC is this: Everyone screams "OH" at the following part of the song: "Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave"

BUT

The crowd yelling "OH" is a BALTIMORE thing, you MORONS!!!! As in the Baltimore Orioles, a.k.a. the "O's"! aaaaarrrrgggghhh Mad

/rant

I've never heard the "OH" screamed during the "Star Spangled Banner" in other U.S. arenas outside of Baltimore/DC.....anyone else?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: