Fecking Twitter
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Fecking Twitter Reply with quote

What is the big deal with this annoying website? I don't care about the pointless details and inane trivia that is posted - but clearly lots of people do.

It seems that quite a few celebrities are using it to keep their fans informed about what they're doing, but that's what websites have been doing for years. If they haven't got the ability to post a message on a blog then I don't think they can possibly have anything to say that I want to hear.

It's for idiots. Simple as that!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idiots I say, idiots!
reject

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, depends what you use it for..
Im involved in a lot of 'homeless' projects and it comes in handy to get info relayed about quickly. The trick is to be selective as to who you follow, or you allow follow you...
It is true that theres load of internet marketers peddling crap about and a load of dickheads who have to tell you everything they get up to.. especially those who use there mobiles "im having a coffee" shite. just block them... job done..
Ive found it handy and made some good contacts via it's use..
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you reject. It is also handy because I can have updates for things I need sent to my phone or I can update from my phone. With work and organizational things going on it's a simple way for me to keep my finger on the pulse of the things I need or keep track of.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it any more use than a simple blog with rss though?

It just seems to be popular because it's new, which is the real reason for my pointless rage!
reject

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philistine!!!
lol

Its the direct communication aspect that appeals to me.. i can get to someone asap..
I dont bother with RSS as its communication overload for me.. i wud just check altop..

http://www.vancouversun.com/Technology/TweetupHeatup+Twitter+flash+helps+homeless/1103020/story.html
is a good example of when it can work well..

prob is these days theres so many variants of social media that it can distract from the real job you are trying to do...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done to them - that sounds a great way to use any site

I'm still not convinced by it being any more useful than other sites though. Doesn't facebook have the same kind of thing already?
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook is actually hooked up to twitter and you can update your status through twitter and visa versa.
reject

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so faceless when ya gonna start tweeting!!!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I reckon there will be a lot of growling first... haha
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so the growling's over now - I signed up. As soon as I did I got someone spamming me... but maybe I can use it to highlight new content here. I'll give it a go anyway.

http://twitter.com/couchtripper
reject

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol....

now we has hooked up.. i sent ya a message.. hope i took your tweet tweet virginity!!
dont worry wont be stalking ya..
feckin 180 characters!

I reckon you will find it handy though, if ya are careful who ya follow etc.. theres some great info sometimes circulating to and fro..
I've found it useful
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra: Twitter is for tweets
Ariel Leve
timesonline.co.uk
29th March 2009

I knew it was coming. I’ve been asked to Twitter. My first encounter with someone on Twitter was at a birthday party. It was in a bar and the woman was responding to the one question Twitter poses: What are you doing? I’ve always hated this question. I admit, it’s because the answer is generally: nothing. Or: nothing worth reporting. So for me, Twitter would be a problem.

Especially since the status updates are limited to 140 characters or less. Including spaces. I love that. Who types without spaces? I am already stressed about the multitude of decisions it will pose: do I really need this space? Is this question mark important? I would have to discipline myself. No hyphenating. Where’s the fun in that? Another thing – what if you’re in the midst of an update and you’ve used up all your characters. Do you erase what you’ve written and start over, or edit and see if you can make it work? I’m guessing most people who are on Twitter are not stressed about the editorial content.

This woman at the bar told me she was updating her status so that the people who followed her knew what her plans were. She was drinking. Then going home. I told her if I were her stalker I’d find this news very encouraging. “I had a stalker once,” she said seriously, “It’s not funny.” Did I say it was funny?

With all this “connecting” there seems to be a lot of miscommunication going on. The postings on Twitter are called “tweets” and the idea is that it’s a way to stay connected with friends, co-workers and strangers by allowing brief status updates to be read by people who are following you.

Maybe I have such a hard time with it because the idea that someone I don’t’ know and have never met would choose to follow me is hard to fathom. It presumes they are interested in what I am doing. I’m not interested in what I am doing. Why would they be? On the other hand, this could the best social networking tool ever. It forces brevity and a concise exchange of sentences. How great would it be to Twitter with someone you’re standing directly in front of?

Recently I’ve noticed that whenever someone mentions Twitter in the UK they will invariably point out that Stephen Fry is on it. Stephen Fry is on Twitter? Well then it must be cultured. Meanwhile, I’m sure he has no idea he has legitimised the site for the legions over 30. I can understand following him because from what I’ve heard, his updates are witty and clever. But with other less erudite celebs, the immediacy of the information doesn’t hold the same appeal.

Just because there’s the opportunity to follow every banal thought out there doesn’t mean it’s necessary. The other person who has gotten a lot of press from Twittering is President Obama. But I doubt he’s doing the updates himself. But it would be worth joining just to get a ‘tweet” form the President while he’s sitting at the G20 Summit. How great would it be if he answered the question, “What are you doing?” with: “Nothing.”

------------------

agree Laughing
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fecking Twitter Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
What is the big deal with this annoying website? I don't care about the pointless details and inane trivia that is posted - but clearly lots of people do.

It seems that quite a few celebrities are using it to keep their fans informed about what they're doing, but that's what websites have been doing for years.

It's for idiots. Simple as that!
I'm in communion with Face on this one. I just can't be arsed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: