Sheridan & Galloway ask PM to Drop Bank Charges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Sheridan & Galloway ask PM to Drop Bank Charges Reply with quote

Quote:
Sheridan & Galloway ask PM to Drop Bank Charges

Solidarity Co-Convenor Tommy Sheridan and Respect MP George Galloway have launched an online petition, with a call to the Prime Minister to put an end to punitive bank charges.

Sheridan said:

"Gordon Brown has the shares, and therefore the clout, to demand an end to this practice in HBOS, RBS and Northern Rock"

George Galloway, MP for Bethnal Green & Bow added:

"The government is pouring hundreds of billions of pounds into the banks, at the very least we, the public, must have a say in how these part-public-owned banks operate.

The petition states:

We, the public, as owners of Northern Rock, majority shareholders in RBS and the biggest shareholder in HBOS, ask the Prime Minister to instruct these banks to end the system of excessive, punitive bank charges immediately.

and can be signed at:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stopthecharges/

Tommy Sheridan said on the launch of the petition:

"It can easily be forgotten that these 'poor' banks who got the bail-out are the same banks who in recent years have been declaring billions in profits and dividends, while charging their poorest customers excessive amounts for slips in their finances. Many people are still locked in a court battle with the banks, who want to protect their right to extort money from customers. Gordon Brown has the shares, and therefore the clout, to demand an end to this practice in HBOS, RBS and Northern Rock"

George Galloway, MP for Bethnal Green & Bow added:

"The government is pouring hundreds of billions of pounds into the banks, at the very least we, the public, must have a say in how these part-public-owned banks operate.

"Bank charges have been a con for years, hitting the lowest paid who often slip into exceeding their overdrafts by mistake.

"They should be ended now and the government should use its stake in the banks to ensure that. Mortgage repossessions by Northern Rock are up, despite the fact that it is wholly publicly owned. There should be no punitive charges and no evictions. What was a matter between consumers and banks is now a plainly political issues between the people and the government. Gordon Brown has been given fair warning."

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stopthecharges/
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 77 signatures on that so far? I saw it last week and expected a lot more by now.
seshme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like the charges a bank is giving move banks.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if they just hike the charges and you're locked into that particular bank through loans or overdrafts? If it was that easy there wouldn't be a problem.
seshme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threaten to take your overdraft elsewhere? Smile

Seriously though I think it's a bit dangerous if we start to run these banks as extensions of government. There have been some sharp practices over the years with bank charges and I've suffered more than most from it. I think my record was when I was with the Abbey and they hit me for £175 charges when I was getting paid £700 a month at the time.

They should stick an unfair banking practice bill in though stopping things like £35 for letter to say you have gone £5 overdrawn. The Abbey used to then do shit like sending you a second letter to say that the charge for the first letter had now taken you to £40 overdrawn AND charge you another £35 for that. Loan shark stuff. Don't know if they still do that I left them.

My point is do it across the board, I don't want to have to pay even more in taxes because these publicly owned banks keep losing money.
cobweb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah...you think £175 quid a month is unfair? I recently dealt with someone who had over £800 in one month getting a £1200 wage as I actually work for a high street bank (i know but I need to pay the bills as well). Let me tell you without fail 99% of people who bleat about charges on accounts are the ones who never bother reading the small print into accounts which tells you if you sign up for this then there are penalties.

If you don't like charges then the answer is simple...don't spend money you don't have. This line of slipping over the overdraft limit is just a mistake is rubbish in some cases. Does anyone feel sympathy for a driver just slipping over the drink limit? Nope? Same thing, just someone thinking that they will be okay pushing the limits a little and getting caught.

BTW the High Court action to try and get rid of charges is one of the worst things to hit banking in years...not for the banks but for the public. Already we have seen reductions in the amounts that can be refunded without questions and I can assure you that loads of services that have been taken for granted as being free for years will start to be charged for if these charges are removed with EVERYONE paying for things like standing orders and direct debits instead of just those who go overdrawn incurring charges. Maybe even get ready to pay for having your bank account....I've never had an overdrawn charge on my account and I'm not amused at the idea of paying just to have my account to subsidise people who can't count their beer tokens of a weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: