RFID chips and Mythbusters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: RFID chips and Mythbusters Reply with quote

In this clip we're told how Mythbusters was forced to cancel an item about how hackable RFID chips are...
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's an RFID chip?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's those chips that they put in dogs to track their id. The credit companies are planning to use the technology in cards along with the government implanting them in your passport and other important areas.
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
the government implanting them in your passport and other important areas.

like the back of yer neck ..
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. I'm guessing they think they can keep it a secret from the public that it's hackable? I don't think they could be that stupid. Where ever there is an idea for something, there is usually someone who is anti said idea, and all the info is laid out on both sides to plead their cases. I'm thinking if it's really that hackable, this technology won't move forward, at least for credit cards and passports. I'm not sure if that many people are arsed about the dogs, except maybe my parents and their little pooches...lol! There is a chip supposedly in my new passport right now. Is it the same said chip?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the chip yep - the problem is that the information must be changeable, and if anything can change it, then it can be hacked. The problem is more likely to be in people creating identities than in stealing others though.

It is a good idea to use them in certain situations, like stuck to a parcel going overseas so that you can track it, but when you consider that some people have volunteered themselves and their families to be chipped (under the skin) also you can start to see where the real problem could come.
Ash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If something is on binary numbers it can always be broken...look at the BlueRay industry. They spent millions investing copy-protection techology, to stop consumers copying- yet it failed miserably. The problem is, for e.g., if govt forces you to put in your biological data on a chp, like in a passport, ID card, etc, and once it's stolen/hacked then you're screwed! I bet you'll see stories like that pretty soon.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
some people have volunteered themselves and their families to be chipped (under the skin)

I've heard that this is being done with some people who suffer from Alzheimer's or dementia -- people who they fear will wander off and get lost. But it really makes you think how much of our lives they really can track if they want to.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they want to track everything!

there was a speech by one of the guys from the rfid company where he said we've just got to find reasons to get people willing to accept these chips being implanted, you know, so start with kids and the possibility of them getting kidnapped - get your kid chipped and you can trace them, like what you're saying with people with certain illnesses eefan. people are already getting implanted with them for various reasons ... i find it all a bit scary, kinda like tripods and people being capped Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: