See No Evil, The Moors Murders

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: See No Evil, The Moors Murders Reply with quote

I just watched the first part of this dramatisation of the "Moors Murders" and it was really interesting. It's one of those cases that everyone knows about to some extent, but to see the background to the story is quite an eye opener...

It's in the drama section now.
AHend09
Sweet Scot

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes agree with you Face , just finished watching this myself, I was always under the impression that she was coerced into
helping him, but now think differently, It will be good viewing
but very sad for the Victims relatives to relive
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bit about it.

-----------------------------------

The black and white TV set flickers. Elsie Tanner and Len Fairclough are arguing in Coronation Street.

It was a scene played out in millions of homes across the country, no different to this one. Except this house belongs to the parents of a young woman called Myra Hindley, and the year is 1964.

It?s the knowing that makes See No Evil: The Moors Murders so harrowing. At least five young people died at the hands of Hindley and her lover Ian Brady. The victims came from the same terraced streets as the evil couple who were to end their brief lives.

For good reason, this stunning drama cannot show the abductions and murders of children. But there can be no escape from the truth.

The signs are there to be found: Brady standing over freshly dug soil on Saddleworth Moor; Hindley talking about shopping at Ashton Market, or remarking about her new car: ?It converts to a two-seater. You never know when you might need the extra baggage capacity.?

Finally, Brady can keep his secret no longer and tells Myra?s brother-in-law David Smith that he has killed. ?Three or four. I haven?t finished yet. Teenagers mainly. Any younger, it?s too much fuss. What? You don?t believe me? You stood on the graves.?

Scenes which show the bloody axe murder of Edward Evans, 17, the couple?s final victim, are hard to watch. But how else could the drama illustrate the nature of these crimes, or the events that led to their arrest?

Maxine Peake is bleached blonde evil as Hindley, alongside Sean Harris as the brooding Brady. But this is also the story of her sister Maureen, played by Joanne Froggatt, related by blood to one of the most hated women of the last century, and of the determination of Lancashire detective Joe Mounsey.

The revulsion on the faces of the police team as they examine the photos in Brady?s suitcase is the moment the true horror of the moors murders hits home. Nearby is the unheard tape of Lesley Ann Downey, 10, crying for her mam and begging for mercy as she is tortured and killed, followed by the chilling sound of The Little Drummer Boy.

Lesley?s grave was the first to be discovered. As the search continues, Mounsey pulls a child?s shoe from the earth. ?Second Body Found On The Moors,? reports the front page of the Manchester Evening News. John Kilbride, aged 12. Abducted from Ashton Market.

Myra stands in the dock, denying everything. She stands in Holloway prison, claiming to have found God, while Maureen?s life unravels towards its own tragic conclusion.

Writer Neil McKay transports us beyond those all too familiar mugshots of Hindley and Brady ? taken from that black and white age long ago ? and ensures this terrible story will never be forgotten.

It?s a drama as bleak as the howling wind on the moors, which returns again and again to remind us of the victims at the heart of this notorious passage in history.

It?s still blowing at the end as the faces of the lost children stare silently out from the screen. Watch this remarkable film, and weep for them.

-------------------------------

I thought this was a well made drama that was very well acted. It was difficult to watch in parts but didn't sensationalise and sensitively handled details of the crimes.

The final murder (that was the only one shown) was horrific, but it put the viewer in the place of the terrified Dave Smith, who had the courage to do the right thing and go to the Police.

Did anyone else here watch this? What did you think of it?
pink ranger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i watched the first episode but was working for the second. I found it to be sympathically done.

it shows the effects of what happened not only from the parent's point of view, but also david smith and his wife, which in so many perspective seem to forget.

I wish i had seen the monday night showing. I doubt it would have let me down
tasst

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your views on this show I will watch it tomorrow night. Mad
tasst

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now watched it and enjoyed it very much. clap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> General TV All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: