Actress says she'd have joined the IRA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Actress says she'd have joined the IRA Reply with quote

I don't think there's anything wrong with what she said at all. I'd probably have ended up joining too if my situation had been different.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is anything wrong with the statement either, as long as it is truly what she believes and she didn't just say to stir up interest in the movie.
seshme

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Actress says she'd have joined the IRA Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with what she said at all. I'd probably have ended up joining too if my situation had been different.

Ignoring all the completely innocent people that the IRA killed the whole cause was completely and utterly pointless. The absolute last thing the Irish government wanted was a united Ireland and they did everything they could to prevent it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7610750.stm

The whole thing was all just very very silly.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must live in a castle in the sky to have that simplistic attitude...
seshme

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue I'm stepping back and seeing the bigger picture which is hard for anyone brought up in the West of Scotland like us.

I just give no credance to either side in a particularly silly confilct.

The protestants demand their right to their traditions which are quite frankly odious bigotry and a particularly unpleasant culture of using power to grab the best crappy scraps of cash going. All the time detemined to be part of a 'union' which by the 1970s didn't particularly want them all things said and done but had to play along.

The catholic minority wanted a united Ireland which would have led to a civil war that they couldn't possibly have won. The Irish army numbered just 12000 in the 1970s can you possibly imagine what would have happened if the 'Brits Out' thing had ever happened. The Irish government at the time knew this and made sure it couldn't happen.

Also it's easy to forget now as we sip cocktails in Dublin that just 20 years ago Ireland was part theocracy with superstitious institutions having huge control over social aspects of life .

I've spent many months in Belfast in the last few years and even now I find it really attacks my general state of mind that most of humanity is cool.

No I think the people that sing their songs at Parkhead or Ibrox are the ones with the simplistic attitude.

Cheers!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's all very well said - but it completely lacks any kind of personal involvement. Intellectualising a situation in that way completely disregards personal issues, which are the entire reason behind it all. You're not a Partick Thistle supporter are you?
seshme

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha only since 1978!

Are you psychic or something? Smile

You should check out that documentary though, the Irish government's attitude in 1974/5 was surprising even to a cynic like me.

I think that history will show that peace in Nothern Ireland was Al Queda's greatest achievement.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not psychic, it's just that you Partick Thistle supporters are all the same with your crazy thinking! You know we have a Spurs fan here too? That combination could rock the foundations of reality... haha

Quote:
I think that history will show that peace in Nothern Ireland was Al Queda's greatest achievement.

Couldn't agree more...
seshme

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days the most depressing thing about Nothern Ireland is it is just about the worst place in the UK for racism by colour.

You would think they would have enough to keep them going,

Kind of like the Israeli's setting up concentration camps in Palestine after WWII you just have to shake your head and think fuck'em life is too short the majority of these people are just crap and I have better things to do.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience racism is inherent in NI protestants, whereas Catholics tend to be much more tolerant. Maybe that's because they understand what suffering from bigotry is all about.

For a more local example, you'll almost never hear of racism at Celtic Park, but you will find BNP and other right-wing extremists standing outside Ibrox and getting lots of support.
seshme

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that you're biased or anything... Smile

I seem to remember Celtic fans threw bananas at Mark Walters???

At the last election the only BNP banners I saw anywhere in Glasgow during the whole time was when I drove past Ibrox.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very much biased against racist bigots, yes.

It was the Rangers fans who threw the bananas - at their own player!!!
seshme

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah I knew you were going to say that.

I just checked and it seems that the Celtic fans did it and dressed in monkey suits although Rangers did ban one of their season ticket holders for life for abusing his own player.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport/A-black-day-for-Scots.3628273.jp
seshme

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2:30 unless the jungle that day was full of undercover Rangers fans or they managed to throw them the length of the pitch I'm afraid it was Celtic fans...

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, on reading that I wasn't aware that the situation had occurred before the well publicised event that brought the issue into the media. Celtic's immediate demand through their newspaper was worth noting of course. But to say 'the celtic fans did it' is just a sweeping generalisation.

Anyway, that was 20 years ago and while abuse still continues at Ibrox it is not something that happens at Celtic, even though there was only a tiny minority there in comparison.

Celtic fans are great in general. Ask any European city official where the fans have gone and compare that to Rangers fans in general. To put them in the same bracket is bollocks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: