2012 Olympic Martyrs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: 2012 Olympic Martyrs Reply with quote

-----------------------------------------------

Good for them!
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there a vote taken on this? I'd probably feel a bit miffed too in their situation, especially if all of Britain didn't have to contribute, as it is really a country hosting the games. On the other hand, here in the U.S., some seniors get miffed when they have to pay high school taxes when they don't have any kids or grandkids in the school system. It's more of a societal tax than anything. I would have thought there would have been a vote about it at one point though. Anyone have any details on this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know the coucnil are banking on everyone in London benefitting from the games... so in their eyes it's only fair to tax them extra.

As a by-note, Glasgow will be hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2014, but that's being funded by the Scottish Parliament mainly, though I'm sure the vast majority of Glaswegians won't mind if for £30 we get a couple of free tickets...
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how the average Londoner will benefit. They will be stunted with tourists, and traffic jams, the restaurants will be jammed. The big winners will be the business owners. If they could guarantee they'll get that money back somehow in taxes, that'd make sense. Am I just sleepy now and not getting the idea of a benefit? Maybe the profits from the arenas will lessen tax burdens or social program burdens which benefit society as a whole. Believe me, in NY they thought up a whole host of bullshit ideas to make excuses to make new arenas for the basketball and baseball teams. I don't know what was wrong with Shea Stadium that they have to build a new stadium for the Mets. Looked fine to me. Then again, it's 33 pounds once a year ya cheap fuckers! Ya live in London for God Sakes! LOL!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
Then again, it's 33 pounds once a year ya cheap fuckers! Ya live in London for God Sakes! LOL!

and we have a winner!! haha
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the arguments of this couple - that they may not be alive in 2012 - struck me as funny...and true!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: