Facebook rave staged in Ikea

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Facebook rave staged in Ikea Reply with quote

Facebook rave staged in Ikea
'Flash' rave party was arranged on Facebook to commemorate popular nightclub The Sanctuary

ASTONISHED shoppers in an Ikea homestore were left open-mouthed when 300 apparent customers performed a five-minute spontaneous 'flash' rave arranged on Facebook.

Families browsing the textiles section of the store in Milton Keynes stood amazed as the ravers started dancing in a show of 'remembrance' for popular nightspot 'The Sanctuary' - which made way for the Ikea store, an Asda and the Milton Keynes Dons FC stadium in 2004.

The social networking site hosts a group called 'Sanctuary Reunion 2008', with almost 2,400 members dedicated to a 'showing love for a place, the way they always did. Five minutes of raving in Ikea, in remembrance.'

The ageing ravers, including a pregnant woman and families with their children, turned up at the store on Saturday at 3.30pm.

They were politely told on Facebook: "We’re asking for everyone to make a purchase, and to treat the staff and customers with total respect.

"We really need to not overcrowd any exits or passage ways, scare children...or do anything negative!"

Legendary

Stephanie Clifton was one rave fan who turned up.

She said: "The store was surrounded by police and the store had hired security - there was obviously extra staff as they may have expected some trouble.

Family favourite ... Ikea

"I walked in, in my full raver gear twenty minutes early and the police lady just smiled.

"I noticed that there were many shifty people just casually looking at wardrobes and plates, though as time drew closer the textiles department began to fill and the police gathered around."

She added: "People were still trying to act normal by saying 'hmm that's a nice rug.'

"Then as it hit 3.30pm, the ravers pulled out their high visibility jackets and whistles to the sound of one loud horn. Everyone went crazy, whistling and screaming.

"Ikea stopped its regular customers going through and everyone was laughing...it was legendary."

A spokesman for Ikea said: “We can confirm it happened and about 50 people turned up but we don’t want to comment any further."

Buckinghamshire Police confirmed they were aware of the event. A spokesman said: “They wanted to go back to Ikea in Milton Keynes because where it is based used to be the Sanctuary nightclub.”

Web group 'The Sanctuary Music Arena Memorial Group' states: 'Even though it's been demolished the memories will always stay with the people that raved there.'

more pics and video at http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1637468.ece

Laughing

i had many a mashed night at the sanctuary in the 90's pissedup dancer Very Happy i can't believe they turned it into an ikea! Shocked

this was it back in the day ...
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... they didn't "turn it into an Ikea" really, did they? It just folded and the building went up for sale and was bought by Ikea.
luke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bollocks, haven't you seen transformers? the next stage is ikea will turn into a robot, then you'll be sorry

if major is mr illogic or whatever you called him, you're little miss pedantic wink
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
if major is mr illogic or whatever you called him, you're little miss pedantic wink

I think you should make me a Little Miss Pedantic picture Smile
luke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always knew that 'Look it up for yourself' line would come into play again!

haha, nice one Luke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: