Very Basic help .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWDread

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Very Basic help . Reply with quote

Hello to any and all , I need a wee bit of help .
I have managed to get myself online , as you can see , I can smash out a mean two fingered tango over a keyboard , I can use bit torrent . That is where it ends really , but , wish to do such wonders as , when I find news articles and books , be able to post them , and ask for opinions .
I live usually , by a strict code , rather ask a stupid question , then do something stupid .

I wish also to have a web page , if for nothing more then pure vanity , and to write my thoughts on the world . I really do not want anything fancy , as it is for me , a way of expression , to be lost in the net work for life , and maybe even read someday , I have got to that age you see . This would also be an achievement for me to be able to do such wonders , and some day be able to help some one else , with what you taught me .
Any help would make you mighty in my eyes .
Thank You
JWDread
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best advice is to just keep at it - almost everything I've learned is self-taught and even though I did a college course last year to get Microsoft Certified it wasn't really that much help.

You might want to look into doing an ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence) course at local night-classes though - my brother's doing it just now and it has made his experience a lot better.

To post a news story is easy - in this instance I've turned the code off, but if you were to type

[web]http://bbc.co.uk[/web]

in a normal post it would show the BBC front page in your post (once you've clicked submit or preview). One important thing to remember when posting a page like that is to preview it first, because some websites force themselves out of the frame and it's pretty tricky to get back to the site, let alone edit the post. Previewing will give the chance to see if it will work and you can always click on 'back' in your browser in that instance.
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, in my opinion, there's no such thing as a stupid question. Plenty of stupid answers though Smile

If you want simply to have a page or two on the net, for free, blogging is one way. very easy to set up, the biggest problem for me is to find a nice name ... they've mostly gone. Anyhow, look here,

https://www.blogger.com/start

edit:

also, the thing you might like to find about is "embed". Put "embed html" into google.
JWDread

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Faceless , Brown Sauce .
From today onwards , I shall be a blogger , and your right Faceless , its just a fear really , and I am not afraid of machines , and that course is just up my street , its a good starting point . Cheers .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: