Tree protester commits suicide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Tree protester commits suicide Reply with quote

Croatian pensioner kills himself after tree gets chop

BELGRADE, August 20 (RIA Novosti) - A Croatian pensioner committed suicide after a tree growing in front of his house was cut down to make way for a highway, local media said on Wednesday. The 83-year-old man, from Zlatar, in northwest Croatia, shot himself in front of road workers Tuesday shortly after they had cut the tree down, media reported. The oak tree was cut down to allow widening of a nearby highway.

The pensioner, who was distraught about the tree being cleared, had earlier threatened local authorities with extreme action in an attempt to save his favorite tree.

--------------------

I've met quite a few people in the past who've spent much of their lives protesting against this kind of development, but it's never gone this far before... the poor old bugger.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is one of the weirdest things I have ever read. Sad really. He didn't save the tree and he killed himself. How terrible.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To some people you may as well set fire to a church as cut a live oak down...
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it all falls under the broad umbrella of preserving history. Folks tend to try to hold on to something sometimes because "it has always been there...as long as anyone can remember, it has been there..." kinda thing. As a Historian, even I think that this guy took it too far.
JWDread

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even being on the red side of north London , I do agree with SpursFan , (I can't believe I just wrote that)
However , these old timers have seen change happen at such a rate , and not with happy memories , in that part of the world , maybe he just thought , fuck this , I've had enough . Just say he had lived in that house all his life , and the only thing that is left from his childhood , is that tree , it may be like , when you hear music , and your right there , when that song meant something a laugh , a cry , whatever . With it being gone , it may have taken his past away , and the future is well , confusing to say the least . For me anyway , and I'm half the age that he made .
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're probably bang on the nail there jw - not bad for a gooner... haha
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWDread wrote:
Even being on the red side of north London , I do agree with SpursFan , (I can't believe I just wrote that)
However , these old timers have seen change happen at such a rate , and not with happy memories , in that part of the world , maybe he just thought , fuck this , I've had enough . Just say he had lived in that house all his life , and the only thing that is left from his childhood , is that tree , it may be like , when you hear music , and your right there , when that song meant something a laugh , a cry , whatever . With it being gone , it may have taken his past away , and the future is well , confusing to say the least . For me anyway , and I'm half the age that he made .

I can't believe you wrote it either considering your affliction...oh, I mean affliation! Laughing No matter what people say about boredom and stagnation, none of us like change. No one wants their past, their childhood or their children's childhoods destroyed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: