RESPECT ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Given GG's recent behaviour has your Respect / Admiration for him.....
Grown?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lessened?
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Stayed more or less the same?
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

cobweb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: RESPECT ? Reply with quote

Given the majority of the posters recent thoughts on various threads I have been prompted to ask this question...sadly I didn't have to think to long about my answer.
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's stayed more or less the same. GG ain't perfect, but he put's himself on a platform to put a point of view across that I'm mostly in agreement with.

He does also sometimes need to do a little more research, and just occasionally does need to say OK I got that one wrong.

It's also live radio.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really has lessened for me - the thought has even crossed my mind about what to replace that section with if he continues on the way he's going.
cobweb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....it's weird to think that you must be so annoyed / disappointed with GG that you would even think about removing that great resource of Galloway stuff you have on here Faceless.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if it gets to the point where he makes me look bad and I can't defend his politics then it would be pretty fake of me to keep it going.
cobweb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faceless, did you edit your last post?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - it wasn't relevant to the topic really.
ItzMeRon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my finger on the button of Lessened. But I do not want to push.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cobweb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand why your hesitant ItzMeRon. Even as I was typing the thread up and making the poll I was wondering what I was doing.....but here's the rub. As Nekokate said "I adore the man...but not blindly" (or similar, quoted from memory so apologies if I've got that wrong) and if someone you have admired in the past changes views, policies or even the causes the he supports you sometimes have to re-evaluate how much you still feel akin to them.

As I have said in other threads I think GG has had a marvelous past and can still have a great future but given his recent choice of causes to champion and way he has been treating people I wonder about his present direction. That's what prompted the question.

Anyway the upshot is vote how you feel right now.....no-one will hold it against you however you vote.
Kailash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobweb wrote:
I understand why your hesitant ItzMeRon. Even as I was typing the thread up and making the poll I was wondering what I was doing.....but here's the rub. As Nekokate said "I adore the man...but not blindly" (or similar, quoted from memory so apologies if I've got that wrong) and if someone you have admired in the past changes views, policies or even the causes the he supports you sometimes have to re-evaluate how much you still feel akin to them.

As I have said in other threads I think GG has had a marvelous past and can still have a great future but given his recent choice of causes to champion and way he has been treating people I wonder about his present direction. That's what prompted the question.

Anyway the upshot is vote how you feel right now.....no-one will hold it against you however you vote.

My vote was based on his behaviour, not his views. His views are consistent with his politics - he's an old school leftist and social conservative, not a progressive, new age liberal. He's also a guy willing to ostracise himself from the mainstream to demonstrate his convictions, I'm sure he lost a lot more respect when he shook hands with Saddam than has these past few weeks. I'm learning more about him as the weeks go by (I've only listened for a year, but I haven't missed a show in that time). What I don't understand is why we get two back to back three hour shows railing against racism in the Big Brother house, then the stupid off the cuff remarks he made last week. It doesn't add up - not for me anyway.
nekokate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kailash wrote:
What I don't understand is why we get two back to back three hour shows railing against racism in the Big Brother house, then the stupid off the cuff remarks he made last week. It doesn't add up - not for me anyway.

It's probably because George views racism on a sliding scale. A few jokes in a mock German accent are not as impostant to him as racism against Indian or Pakistani jokes, because Asians are far more the underdog in racism than the standard, white German.

Same reason it's not as offensive to make a joke about a Welshman having it away with a sheep as it is to make a joke about a Pakistani smelling of curry or something. Plenty of people talk about "the bloody Pakis" but not so many talk about "the bloody Welsh".

Historical and social perspective, I think GG would say.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:

but he didn't have a correct perspective at all - he assumed that woman (Tamara Dragadze) was Georgian simply because of her name and educational field.
nekokate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
nekokate wrote:

but he didn't have a correct perspective at all - he assumed that woman (Tamara Dragadze) was Georgian simply because of her name and educational field.

I was referring specifically to the German jokes he made. You're right about his treatment of that academic - hardly his finest hour.
cobweb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but surely this is another inconsistency, or hypocracy depending on how you view it. Is it ok to be racist against one group because they haven't suffered as badly as others in the past?...and how can GG constantly deride alcohol when he freely admits to smoking two Cubans a day (cigars that is). Isn't nicotine a drug? Yet he will have a go at other drug users.

I realise I have sounded like I am against George recently and that's really not the case...I was a very young man through the Poll tax fiasco in Glasgow and GG was shining light then....I just feel disappointed that such a talented politician should stoop to some his recent actions and behaviours and asked the question to see if others felt the same way.
mickyv

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The perfect faultless superhuman GG that exists in some people's minds will never compare to the real human GG. GG has many faults and inconsistencies, and if you think that these outweigh the positive things he stands for, then move on & keep looking for that imaginary faultless superhuman.

Re Tamara Dragadze; "Tamara Dragadze, a London-based analyst of Georgian origin"
(http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/rwb.nsf/db900SID/ACOS-64D29B?OpenDocument); she is also married to a Georgian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: