The end of the mouse?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: The end of the mouse? Reply with quote

I can't see this happening any time soon. Some people will go for it at first but because the tactile feel of the mouse is part of the interaction I think it will remain for a lot longer than 3-5 years.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree face --- I think it would likely be closer to 10 years before we see it gone.

I'm reminded of one of the Star Trek movies where they are beamed back in time to earth and Scotty is "talking" to the computer and someone has to show him how to use the mouse. Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the mouse will be here for quite a while longer. I know it will phase out eventually but I don't think it will be as soon as he predicts.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Taking over will be so called gestural computer mechanisms like touch screens and facial recognition devices.

I nearly blow a gasket when people get their fingerprints on my screen, so I can't see that catching on (at least not in my house).

Quote:
The mouse was invented by Dr Douglas Engelbart while working for the Stanford Research Institute. He never received any royalties for the invention partly because his patent ran out in 1987 before the PC revolution made the mouse indispensible.

"Bummer" doesn't begin to express the sentiment that comes to mind. Probably the least-rewarded inventor in modern history (when compared to the impact of his invention).
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah but hold on, in 1986 I was using a mouse with my Atari ST and they were part of other systems too - Mac, amiga etc. He must have made a large packet by then, but I wonder why he didn't renew the patent at least with new developments.

I'm the same with my monitor btw - fingerprints are the devil's spawn!
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
in 1986 I was using a mouse with my Atari ST and they were part of other systems too - Mac, amiga etc. He must have made a large packet by then, but I wonder why he didn't renew the patent at least with new developments.

True. If he had the option to renew and simply let it lapse, more the fool him. But I thought patents have a set life, whereas copyrights are renewable. eg. Beyer can patent Asperin, but after X years (25?) anyone can make it as long they don't call it "Asperin" (which is copyrighted). I dunno. Maybe drugs work differently.

I have to think the number of mice back then was tiny compared to the explosion in the 90's. The internet and web-surfing made a mouse necessary.

I wonder how long it took for someone to come up with the scroll wheel...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: