Baobab fruit to go on sale in Europe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Baobab fruit to go on sale in Europe Reply with quote

New exotic fruit to hit UK shops

An unusual fruit from a native African tree, the baobab, is to be available in the UK after being approved by the EU. The fruit, contained in a hard nut, has six times more vitamin C than oranges and twice as much calcium as milk. African people have eaten the fruit for thousands of years, but Europeans will consume its pulp as an ingredient in smoothies and cereal bars. Since 1997, foods not commonly consumed in the EU have had to be formally approved before going on sale.

The baobab tree grows throughout certain parts of Africa and has many different uses. The leaves can be eaten as relish and the fruit dissolved in milk or water and used as a drink. The seeds also yield an edible oil and can be eaten raw or roasted. The fruit, bark and leaves of the tree are used to treat medical problems including fevers and kidney disease.

However, EU customers will not be able to try out the many traditional uses of the tree and its fruit, which is six to eight inches (15cm to 20cm) long. The fruit will be removed from its nut and the pulp, which is white, powdery and has a cheese-like texture, will be used as an ingredient in products such as cereal bars.

The non-profit trade association which has been lobbying for the EU approval, PhytoTrade Africa, hopes the demand for the fruit will mean employment for millions of African people. Gus Le Breton, the association's chief executive, said: "The EU decision is a crucial step to developing the global market which could be worth up to £500m a year. Dozens of companies have shown interest in baobab since we submitted the application and many have already conducted initial research. Now that approval has been given, they can progress to full-scale product development."

The baobab tree can live for hundreds of years. Its trunk can grow up to 50ft (15m) in circumference and reach a height of 98ft (30m). Some baobab trees, which are 80% water, are hollow and have been used as bars, shops and even prisons.

-------------------

I'm not sure what to think of this - I'll need to find out how many of these trees there are... damn my brain!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I wonder if we will ever see them in the US...probably not. I will just have to try them while I am in Germany in October. Hope they are available...my curiosity is peaked!
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was just looking here .....

http://www.phytotradeafrica.com/products/baobab.htm
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one Aja, that's all the info in an ovoid nutshell! It sounds like the locals could do well from it.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, far too healthy...we won't see it here anytime soon!
luke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:

Laughing

don't worry i'm sure they will make an american version with glucose fructose syrup with added aspartame and monosodium glutamate wink
Ash

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol spurs & luke
Twirley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
SpursFan1902 wrote:

Laughing

don't worry i'm sure they will make an american version with glucose fructose syrup with added aspartame and monosodium glutamate wink

Of course they will - that's what the American food industry is good at. I make my own bread cos it's so hard to find a brand that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup, sugar or honey in it. I also buy very few processed foods just cos they've usually got some crap in them.

Anyway , back to topic. I'm surprised the baobab fuit is only just making it to Europe. It looks like it could be a fantastic opportunity for the African countries involved. I hope the industry doesn't get run by the European corporates though!!
luke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twirley wrote:
Of course they will - that's what the American food industry is good at. I make my own bread cos it's so hard to find a brand that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup, sugar or honey in it.

bread in america has sweeteners in?! Confused

Twirley wrote:
I also buy very few processed foods just cos they've usually got some crap in them.

yeah same as. my rule is if the ingredients sounds like you'd need a chemistry set to make it, its not worth buying ... plus i like cooking anyway Smile

Twirley wrote:
Anyway , back to topic. I'm surprised the baobab fuit is only just making it to Europe. It looks like it could be a fantastic opportunity for the African countries involved. I hope the industry doesn't get run by the European corporates though!!

i bet thats exactly what will happen. they'll buy the fruit super cheap, make it in to some packaged thing with added this and that and make loads of money on top.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: