Atheist soldier sues for 'unconstitutional' discrimination

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Atheist soldier sues for 'unconstitutional' discrimination Reply with quote

I have always felt there was a large problem with the separation of Church and State here in America. This doesn't surprise me at all.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just mental! You'd think that someone who didn't fear the 'wrath of God' would make a much better soldier - then again, they couldn't be duped as easily into Holy Wars like the one that Bush and his cronies want.

There was a story here a couple of years back about some soldier who was given time each week to practice his Satanist 'mass'. He's still in the army as far as I know.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as the Christian right doesn't want to believe it, the US is not solely a Christian nation. So much of US culture revolves around the Christian calendar and it wasn't until I found a much different path that I realized it. Christmas day is a national holiday. We have references to god in our Pledge of Aliegence and on our money. Now it only says "God", so you could interprete it as any god that you want it to be, but it was originally intended as the Christian god. I agree that there is FAR too much overlap between Church and State and some of it has been going on for so long that we don't even realize it. In the military, if your sexuality is "don't ask, don't tell", why isn't your religion? It really is no one else's business.
seshme

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
We have references to god in our Pledge of Aliegence and on our money. Now it only says "God", so you could interprete it as any god that you want it to be, but it was originally intended as the Christian god. I agree that there is FAR too much overlap between Church and State and some of it has been going on for so long that we don't even realize it.

From memory the money and pledge references to superstition are relatively recent though and only added in the 1950s?
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seshme wrote:
SpursFan1902 wrote:
We have references to god in our Pledge of Aliegence and on our money. Now it only says "God", so you could interprete it as any god that you want it to be, but it was originally intended as the Christian god. I agree that there is FAR too much overlap between Church and State and some of it has been going on for so long that we don't even realize it.

From memory the money and pledge references to superstition are relatively recent though and only added in the 1950s?

The reference on the money was introduced during the 1860's, but you may be right about the Pledge of Alliegnce...time for some research!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
seshme wrote:
SpursFan1902 wrote:

The reference on the money was introduced during the 1860's, but you may be right about the Pledge of Alliegnce...time for some research!

The pledge was originally written without "Under God" and was added in the 1950s. You can even see an old "Merry Melodies" cartoon from the 40s where Porky Pig is learning the Pledge and the words "Under God" were not in it yet.

However, it wasn't really superstition that lead to it. Here's Wiki's entry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: