help needed with my oven - fill in the blanks ...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: help needed with my oven - fill in the blanks ... Reply with quote

i was wondering if anyone has any idea what the markings on my oven/grill (?!) might be ...

settings 1, 3 and 4 get the fan inside running, 2 doesn't ...

what temperatures do ovens usually start at and go up to? i think it says 100 to start with .. what are the max they go up to? then i can kinda roughly judge ...

any help would be much appreciated, i've emailed the manufacturer but haven't heard back yet and my mums coming tomorrow and i wanted to cook a roast! so far i've been managing with just the gas hobs above ...

Confused
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on ours the dial goes from 100 to about 280 (c).

the dial on the left might be a timer?
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband has some of those symbols on his oven knob, but even he doesn't know what each does. I certainly don't either, as I've never seen an oven like that in my life that blows a fan..lol! Must be a European thing. Hopefully Aja will know. Good Luck! I hope you can at least get it working to make yourself something to eat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into this issue when I was baking last summer while visiting the in-laws. The way it was explained to me is that the fan helps things cook more evenly.

As for how high kitchen ovens go, I haven't come across one in a home that goes above 500 F (260C). Seeing as how you usually don't have to cook above 350-400F
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the dial from the oven here - all the way to 280c! It's just a normal cooker.
luke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i suppose the temp is from 100 to 500 - it looks like there was 5 markings for that Smile

i'll have to do a bit of experimentation with the other dial - its not a timer though faceless, thats on the other side out of the picture

i've been using the setting without the fan to do toast - once its heated up its pretty quick!

i did a google search on the model and it looks like this is quite a common problem with the markings wearing off

i found this ... unfortunately its too small to see!

Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question is this a gas stove with electric oven.......
luke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah - it has gas hobs on top, then the ovens electric - and i think the oven might have a grill setting as well, but its all like built in one ( i'm sure she said it had a grill when i was originally shown around the house )
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the dial on the left could be a setting feature for various types of food? The graphic seems to have different symbols.

The dial on the right only has 4 points, which I'd guess are 100-150-200-250 C, with 250c being at about 7 if it was a clock.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: help needed with my oven - fill in the blanks ... Reply with quote

luke wrote:
i was wondering if anyone has any idea what the markings on my oven/grill (?!) might be ...

settings 1, 3 and 4 get the fan inside running, 2 doesn't ...

what temperatures do ovens usually start at and go up to? i think it says 100 to start with .. what are the max they go up to? then i can kinda roughly judge ...

any help would be much appreciated, i've emailed the manufacturer but haven't heard back yet and my mums coming tomorrow and i wanted to cook a roast! so far i've been managing with just the gas hobs above ...

Confused

must admit I have never seen an oven like this .....But this is my guess ...The controls are prolly from 100 to 475 F that would mean that 350 F would be just past half way nearer to 3 ..... and maybe the control on the other side is for the grill..Thats what I am thinking .....sorry cant help more .........Just dont bake a cake yet Very Happy ......and if u are making roast beef add a little colemans dry mustard onto the beef Smile can I come for dinner please......
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British/European ovens don't use Fahrenheit any more ...
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

Maybe its an old one Smile
luke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: help needed with my oven - fill in the blanks ... Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
must admit I have never seen an oven like this .....But this is my guess ...The controls are prolly from 100 to 475 F that would mean that 350 F would be just past half way nearer to 3 ..... and maybe the control on the other side is for the grill..Thats what I am thinking .....sorry cant help more .........

yeah its a bit weird, i prefer the old style with a proper grill on top

Aja wrote:
Just dont bake a cake yet Very Happy ......

i have two great cake recipes as well ... i'll share them one day when i cook them next, a proper carrot and ginger cake with raisins, almonds, walnuts and mascarpone topping with a hint of orange and ginger Smile and a banana cake with sultanas and full fat cheese topping ( and a lot of icing sugar! ) Smile probably not the best cakes for your waistline but mmmm they taste good!

Aja wrote:
and if u are making roast beef add a little colemans dry mustard onto the beef Smile can I come for dinner please......

lets see how things go with my mum first ... if she survives, it'll be safe! but really, if you're coming here - you should be cooking! wink
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
faceless wrote:

Maybe its an old one Smile

It's fan-assisted so it's probably not more than about 15 years sherlock Smile
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If You are half as good looking as my LIL FAT LUKE ......I will cook for you anyday Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: