Pecan Pie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Pecan Pie Reply with quote

This isn't always easy, but it's damn tasty. I make this every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Don't skimp or use substitutes if you can help it. It just doesn't turn out as well.

Pastry for 1-pie crust (you can get frozen but I have recipe below)
3 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup dark corn syrup
1 1/2 cups pecan halves (about)

Prepare pastry, line a 9 inch pie pan with it and bake it in a preheated 450 oven for 5 minutes. Cool. Beat eggs and salt until very light and lemon colored. Beat in sugar a little at a time. With a wire whisk, fold in melted butter and syrup. Pour into partially baked shell and arrange pecan halves on top, broken side down. Bake for 10 minutes in a preheated 425 oven, reduce heat to 325 and bake for 30 mins. Bake until crust is golden and pie filling does not jiggle easily.

CRUST:
This is something I rarely do. It takes a lot of time and effort but it is quite nice.

2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shorting
5 to 6 tablespoons of ice water

Sift flour and salt together in a bowl. Cut in shorting with pastry blender or two knives until mixture looks mealy. Sprinkle water over mixture (the less water you use, the better your pastry). Mix lightly with fork, then work the pastry with your hands until it can be formed into a ball. Chill in fridge thoroughly. Divide half and roll one portion at a time on a lightly floured board. Using light strokes, start in the center and roll toward the edge. When dough is about 1/8 inch thick, line a 9 inch pie pan, pressing pastry to bottom and sides. Refridgerate until needed.

(This recipe makes enough for two pie crusts)
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your recipe Skylace. My mum is definitely going to take this one back to Wales with her and we are going to try it for this weekend. I think I'll buy extra pecans because I love to nibble on them.

Sounds delicious!! thumbs
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might make this for Christmas Sky. My husband loves Pecan pie but rarely eats it being diabetic........ I think he'll have to use a whole vial of insulin if he has a slice of this Very Happy
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
I might make this for Christmas Sky. My husband loves Pecan pie but rarely eats it being diabetic........ I think he'll have to use a whole vial of insulin if he has a slice of this Very Happy

Now that Splenda is out I don't know if it would well with this recipe or not. A very close friend of mine is diabetic and I have baked with it for her and it turns out pretty good.
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
eefanincan wrote:

Now that Splenda is out I don't know if it would well with this recipe or not. A very close friend of mine is diabetic and I have baked with it for her and it turns out pretty good.

You'd need a substitute for the corn syrup as well wouldn't you? Maybe the light corn syrup would work well and cut down on the sugar. And like Skylace said, using Splenda.

Try it, then you don't have to wait til Christmas to have a treat he loves. Very Happy
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ally wrote:
Skylace wrote:
eefanincan wrote:

You'd need a substitute for the corn syrup as well wouldn't you? Maybe the light corn syrup would work well and cut down on the sugar. And like Skylace said, using Splenda.

Try it, then you don't have to wait til Christmas to have a treat he loves. Very Happy

LOL! That's very true Ally! Laughing My guess would be small slices or maybe there is a corn syrup substitute. I don't know! Smile
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's a substitute for the corn syrup but thanks for the tip on the Splenda. Actually, it's a myth that diabetics can't have this stuff...... they just really have to monitor it. My husband is fortunately on a kind of insulin that's titrated to what he eats rather than eating for the amount of insulin he's taken as most diabetics are.

Splenda and some of those things are good, but many of them bother my husbands stomach so..... sometimes the real thing is the best.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
I don't think there's a substitute for the corn syrup but thanks for the tip on the Splenda. Actually, it's a myth that diabetics can't have this stuff...... they just really have to monitor it. My husband is fortunately on a kind of insulin that's titrated to what he eats rather than eating for the amount of insulin he's taken as most diabetics are.

Splenda and some of those things are good, but many of them bother my husbands stomach so..... sometimes the real thing is the best.

I'm like that. I've tried a lot of sugar free drinks and I get sick everytime. It just doesn't work for me.

I am hoping he gets to enjoy this soon! :cool2:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: