Delia Smith's in the crap!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Delia Smith's in the crap! Reply with quote

I bought pre-cooked mash once, but it was just out of laziness and I've not done it since. The one thing that really surprised me in the shop was microwaveable scrambled egg - it needed 2 minutes heating, the same time that it takes to make fresh!
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..I'll wager that fresh egg came with less packaging too.

I don't reallyunderstand why anyone would want to base their recipes on tinned mince and frozen mash.

Nigella has gone partly the same way, suggesting powdered mash in at least one of her recipes, but most of her 'express' suggestions at least base themselves on a selection of fresh meats and veggies, though a few frozen ones are thrown in.

I reckon if you are going to go this far with pre-packaged thinigs though, why bother to cook at all? Just buy a complete frozen dish and be done with it.

If Delia fails to see sense I reckon we should collectively have a whip round and fly Aja over there to sort her out.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fella said the worst meal I ever made him ,was when I made him a frozen turkey dinner .....lol when i bought it ...I was like ok let me try this .....that was the first and last time .....Very Happy

as for tinned Mince BLAH .... what surprised me when i saw it at the supermarket was packs of ready boiled peeled eggs blah again .....the most things i buy frozen are peas and corn and a couple of other veggies from trader joes .....and i dont buy ready made foods ..I find them disgusting and also full of sodium and sugers and fats ..... I do buy tinned chicken chunks and turkey from trader joes though for salads and they are quite good ......But i prefer to just boil my own chicken ..it costs the same .....

I used to love delia and have used quite a lot of her recipes ....so I am surprised she has done this .....when other chefs are pushing that fresh is best ......every week I am on Anissas case
about the ready made food she serves the kids ...chicken nuggets ..hot dogs and so on and so forth .....when really with a bit of thought and an extra 30 mins a day she could make a great fresh meal ......I know shes not the only one ......

as a matter of fact I just ordered a kids cook book for Abbi and kira ...with recipes they will like and be able to make with the minimum amount of supervision.....That also has some good ideas for Anissa .....

Quote:
If Delia fails to see sense I reckon we should collectively have a whip round and fly Aja over there to sort her out.

Anytime ......Very Happy
luke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think shes just expanding her market - reaching new people, this isn't really aimed at old skool delia fans ( proper cooks! )

an old housemate used to buy microwave omelette's ... you've never seen anything so nasty!
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
i think shes just expanding her market - reaching new people, this isn't really aimed at old skool delia fans ( proper cooks! )

an old housemate used to buy microwave omelette's ... you've never seen anything so nasty!

OMG They actually sell them Sad
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I will use instant stuff sometimes if I am in a real hurry or I am doing a huge amount for luncheons etc. But that is so rare. There are other ways you can make short cuts to get meals out faster at home.
Fresh food is just better for you and tastes better. Period.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Sky, I resort to frozen/prepared when I'm in a real hurry, but I really enjoy the weekends when I have time to try new recipes.

I've never tried any of this lady's recipes, but I'm guessing she's not got anything on our Aja!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: