Irleand 'the most anti-Israeli of all European countries'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Irleand 'the most anti-Israeli of all European countries' Reply with quote

Quote:
Gaza blockade - Aggression will not end this insanity

EVEN at the very darkest moments of the recent troubles in this country, even at the darkest moments in South Africa’s long struggle to end apartheid, there were voices urging moderation and compromise.

They might have been small voices at first, struggling to be heard over the carnage that inevitably follows social injustice imposed at the point of a gun. But, thankfully, in the end those brave voices prevailed and we now live in a peaceful, secure country.

Imagine if, after an especially awful IRA atrocity carried out in our name, but without our mandate, the British government decided to impose sanctions of the mildest kind on the Irish.

Say, they demanded that all Irish citizens working in Britain needed a work permit. Even this feeble measure would have had serious consequences for the work-starved Irish of the ’80s and ’90s, when the IRA was at its most murderous. That imaginary sanction pales into insignificance when compared with the measures deployed by Israel in Gaza.

In an effort to end Palestinian missile attacks they blocked crucial fuel supplies into Gaza, despite warnings from the UN that vital food aid could be suspended within days. All of the people of the region were punished for the actions of a few.

Israel has frequently expressed its bewilderment and disappointment at Ireland’s opposition to its aggressive tactics, suggesting that we are the most anti-Israeli of all European countries. Maybe we have adopted this position because, despite all out faults, we can still recognise injustice when we see it.

from HERE

interesting article, i don't think i've ever seen a british news paper kinda reverse whats going on - i was using this same sort of argument after 9-11 and the invasion of afghanistan, you know - would the british after one of the ira's many terrorist attacks have launched a country wide 'shock and awe' attack like we did with afghanistan?! people see then how crazy it is ... maybe ireland can relate more to the plight of the palestinians having lived under british military occupation for so long, which will have affected the journalists and others throughout the media companies out there, which is turn shapes public opinion?

be interesting to compare some irish public opinion polls with british ones, see how differently they do view things ... i mean the irish don't have any troops in iraq or afghanistan do they?

maybe its something in the guinness wink
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article, cheers - the Irish perspective is very relevant. I'd say the reason that the Britain didn't bomb Ireland (as such) was because they just couldn't have got away with it. There are a lot of people in Britain of Irish descent (myself included) and I'm sure there would have been much more in the way of reprisals if they had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: