The Bill - star attempts suicide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: The Bill - star attempts suicide Reply with quote

Star of The Bill 'slashes wrists' on set after being sacked from show
9th January 2008

The actor who plays The Bill's PC Reg Hollis is recovering today after slashing his wrists. Jeff Stewart, 54, phoned for help from his dressing room on the set last night and security men burst in. The apparent suicide attempt came minutes after Stewart, who has been in the cop show for 23 years, was told he was being sacked. He was taken to hospital from the studios in Merton, south London. An ITV insider said: "Jeff is in a very fragile state."

The decision not to renew his contract was made after he was suspended for a week before Christmas over a furious outburst at the directors. A spokeswoman for The Bill said: "We can confirm an incident occurred yesterday following a meeting with Jeff Stewart, when it was discussed that Jeff's contract would not be renewed. Our primary concern is for Jeff Stewart's welfare. We are doing everything we can to ensure Jeff is getting the help he needs."

Stewart, who had a breakdown in 2006, was taken by ambulance to St George's Hospital in Tooting and was placed under observation before being released. A Met Police spokesman confirmed that their officers had also attended the incident. A source at the studios of Talkback Thames said Stewart cut his wrists at 6.30pm. The source continued : "This was a desperate cry for help. It's extremely sad. Thankfully his injuries aren't life-threatening, but everyone is just devastated for him." The source said of Stewart's earlier suspension: "He was totally out of line. Directors are used to getting grief from actors but this went way too far."

Stewart has played oddball PC Hollis since the show started in 1984 and is the longest serving member of the cast. He has struggled since his earlier breakdown, for which he was treated at the Priory. Afterwards, he said: "It's true I was in a bit of a state. In fact I'd hit rock bottom and was on medication. But there is no way I would ever take my own life and I can't explain what happened that evening." He added: "The Bill has given me a great focus and this recent illness has renewed my relish for acting and for life in general."

Stewart also became embroiled in controversy in 1996, when he was accused of smoking cannabis and indulging in sadomasochistic sex. It is not the first time The Bill has experienced such drama off-set after one of its stalwart cast members was sacked. Almost 10 years ago, Kevin Lloyd - who played Detective Tosh Lines - died days after he was fired from the show for his drinking habit. Lloyd, 49, who had been receiving treatment for alcoholism, collapsed after drinking in a pub in May 1998 and died later in hospital.

-----------------------------

That's one mad sketch for sure...
Griffo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Bill and he plays a good character in my opinion Smile

But...slitting your wrists in a suicide attempt and then calling for help? Isn't that contradicting his original task? Laughing

He needs to stop reading about those damn emo kids ;)

But yeah...cry for help. Obviously needs to get himself treated and i hope he comes out on top.
luke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poor guy ... yeah, a cry for help, i think if you really wanted to kill yourself, you could do it. i remember cutting my wrist once on a broken mug, luckily it was about a cm away from the big veins, but wow did it bleed!

he's in the same hospital as my nan is at the moment, i'll have to look out for him when i visit! funny thing, they used to film parts of the bill around where my nan lives, she got caught up in some chase scene once on her way shopping Laughing
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffo wrote:
I love the Bill and he plays a good character in my opinion Smile

But...slitting your wrists in a suicide attempt and then calling for help? Isn't that contradicting his original task? Laughing

He needs to stop reading about those damn emo kids ;)

But yeah...cry for help. Obviously needs to get himself treated and i hope he comes out on top.

Yes I agree with U Griffo on all counts ..... Poor Man ......

Ive been to that hospital many a time back in the day when Anissa was little ......I was surprised I was never arrested Smile the amount of childhood accidents she had .....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> General TV All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: