Father Ted news
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Father Ted news Reply with quote

The Father of all parties
By JOEL TAYLOR on fecking Inis Mor
February 25, 2007

Drink! Arse! Girls! By Father Jack's standards, it was all a bit tame. But an event which began as 'fun for a few friends' ended with a legion of Father Ted fanatics descending on the Irish island of Inis Mor for a weekend of high jinks. Most of the 2,000 revellers dressed either as Father Ted or the foulmouthed alcoholic priest Jack. But many paid homage to the dim-witted Dougal and housekeeper Mrs Doyle.

Held nine years after the death of Irish comic Dermot Morgan, who starred as Father Ted Crilly, the event included the Toilet Duck Comedy Awards, a Father Jack Cocktail Evening, a Song For Europe and a Lovely Girls Competition – won by Agnes from Limerick, who wowed judges with her blue floral dress. Among the guests was Dermot Morgan's son Ben. The 13-year-old, who was accompanied by his mother Fiona, dressed up in a Pope's outfit his father used in his stand-up routines.

Fergal McCarthy, one of the organisers, said he was stunned by the turnout. 'We just thought it was going to be fun for a few friends but the interest has been staggering,' he added. The event was marred by a row between Inis Mor and neighbouring Inis Oirr over which was most like the mythical Craggy Island, where the series was based. But the dispute was settled in true Father Ted style – by a football match which Inis Mor won 2-0.

The only star to attend was Michael Redmond, who played the exceedingly dull Father Stone in the Channel 4 series, which ran for three years in the 1990s. He said: 'I had no idea that it would become a cult like this, but it's all suitably silly.'

--------------------

that does sound a laugh for sure
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like a right good laugh for sure. Just the idea has me laughing lol
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband had seen this online. He could hardly believe it's been so long since he passed away.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the episode mentioned in the article 'Entertaining Father Stone'

brilliant
Twirley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff! Thanks a lot - Father Ted is always a favourite.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who plays Father Stone lives in my area - I see him about fairly regularly... last time was in the bank about two weeks ago where he was asking about a cheque he was expecting to be cashed - what a scoop eh! haha

I'll be updating the TV section soon with all the episodes from series one - and loads more...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack's tumour fecks off

Father Ted star Frank Kelly has been diagnosed with bowel cancer – but says he is winning the battle. Kelly, who played ‘feck’-shouting Jack Hackett, had a tumour removed last year. He is currently undergoing a seven-month chemotherapy course to reduced the chance of it returning.

Kelly, 69, told The Mirror: ‘The tumour was the size of a bloody cabbage. I had discomforts and symptoms that I thought were just bowel problems. But when you're told it's cancer, it doesn't come as such a massive shock. ‘I've made a complete recovery. But I need chemo to reduce the chance of it returning.’

---------------------

Good luck to the old fecker!
nekokate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Jack's tumour fecks off

Father Ted star Frank Kelly has been diagnosed with bowel cancer – but says he is winning the battle. Kelly, who played ‘feck’-shouting Jack Hackett, had a tumour removed last year. He is currently undergoing a seven-month chemotherapy course to reduced the chance of it returning.

Kelly, 69, told The Mirror: ‘The tumour was the size of a bloody cabbage. I had discomforts and symptoms that I thought were just bowel problems. But when you're told it's cancer, it doesn't come as such a massive shock. ‘I've made a complete recovery. But I need chemo to reduce the chance of it returning.’

---------------------

Good luck to the old fecker!

I wonder if he went to the doctor and just shouted "ARSE!"
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Father Ted star's legacy

A foundation to help aspiring comedy writers has been set up in memory of Father Ted star Dermot Morgan. The charity, launched on the 10th anniversary of the comedian's sudden death, was announced at the annual TedFest celebrations in Galway – from the milk float used in the Speed episode. It will give a small bursary to promising writers to help them develop their talent, although details of how to apply have not yet been announced.

Fiona Clarke, Dermot's partner, said: ‘ [Dermot] knew all too well the struggle of trying to write, work and feed a family. The romantic vision of the struggling artist is all very well but the reality can be very stark and stressful. I hope that this bursary will give someone that small financial boost that can sometimes make all the difference.’

The actor’s son, Bobby added that he hoped the foundation would encourage ‘people to go the satirical route - not to let the establishment off the hook’. The charity will be funded by comedy nights and other events, starting with An Audience Without Dermot Morgan at Dublin’s Button Factory on June 9. Peter Philips, co-founder of TedFest, said: ‘As regards who will benefit from the money raised, we want to keep a brief of comedy writing, but that could be a screenplay, a sitcom pilot or a novel.’

Morgan died on February 28, 1998, in Richmond Surrey, just after filming the last episode of Father Ted and three days short of his 46th birthday.

--------------------

10 years ago on Thursday he died - I remember the day clearly.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notes from a Craggy Island: The Father Ted Festival
Ten years, and a million DVDs since his demise, Father Ted has spawned a fully-fledged cult. John Walsh slips on his dog collar and joins the faithful
Niall Carson
4 March 2008
Independent

I think it was the moment when a sardine sandwich, flung by a chap in a Pink Panther suit, went whizzing past my ear, and a furry gorilla flew through the air and cannoned into Joe the MC, that I finally grasped the long-term ramifications a television show can produce in our me-too culture.

It was hard, mind you, trying to follow a serious train of thought when, onstage before me, a whole line of Lovely Girls were doing their final, virginal twirl before an audience of yelling, whistling and over-stimulated priests, nuns, bishops, housekeepers, Elvis impersonators, milkmen, hairy babies, monks and giant rabbits. I'm not sure the island of Inishmore has seen anything like it. But, for a few hundred deranged fans, this isn't Inishmore. It's Craggy Island and, though it started life as a fictional location, it's as real to them as their bricks-and-mortar homes in Dublin, London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Ottawa and Tokyo.

Perhaps I should explain. I was in the west of Ireland, attending TedFest II, the second celebration of Father Ted, a TV sitcom that filmed its final instalment 10 years ago. The show, written by Graham Linehan and Arthur Mathews, ran on Channel 4 for three series (plus one extended Christmas Special, set in the lingerie section of a department store) between April 1995 and May 1998; it was popular at the time, but, thanks to frequent repeats, acquired a massive following after its demise; more than 1 million DVD box sets have been sold.

A year ago, Welsh film-maker Peter Phillips met Irish film editor Fergal McGrath in Sri Lanka on a children's therapy project. The former had set up the successful Elvis Festival in Porthcawl, and the two men discussed doing the same for Father Ted. "We didn't want it to be a TV-watching festival," says Phillips. "We wanted to create Craggy Island with a few like-minded people."

The Friends of Father Ted festival was born, in a storm of drink, fancy dress and sporting events. This year's marked a poignant anniversary. The star, Dermot Morgan, who played Ted, died 10 years ago last week: he suffered a fatal heart attack the day after they filmed the final episode. It was spookily well-timed. No further series had been planned, nor could any be planned now, since no one could take Morgan's place.

It's easy to see why the sitcom became so cultish: viewers feel they could, without much trouble, step inside the action, visit the "parochial house" on Craggy Island and meet the inhabitants: Father Ted Crilly, genial, 40-ish, grey-haired and ambitious who, behind his worldly demeanour, lies and schemes like Sergeant Bilko; Father Dougal McGuire (played by Ardal O'Hanlon), a wide-eyed, 20-something halfwit in a variety of knitted jumpers who fails to grasp basic facts about the world ("This cow," Ted tells him, holding up a plastic toy, "is small. Those cows [real ones, seen through a window, grazing in the distance] are far away"); and Father Jack Hackett (Frank Kelly,) red-faced, wild-haired, catatonic, drool-stained, voraciously alcoholic and foul-mouthed; "Drink!", "Arse!", "Feck!", "Girls!" constitute almost his whole conversational repertoire. Then there's their housekeeper is Mrs Doyle (Pauline McLynn,) a middle-aged, much-exploited slattern with a large mole on her lip. Psychotically hospitable, she regales priests and visitors with gallons of tea, hills of sandwiches and mountain ranges of cake, which she urges them to consume with cries of "Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on..."

We learn that they've been sent to the island, out of harm's way, after a number of scandals involving money, nuns and unspeakable damage. They're never seen performing religious duties but while away the hours plotting to win the All-Priests' Stars in Their Eyes Lookalike Competition, or fending off the irruptions of unpleasant strangers to their peaceful home, whether stroppy women rock stars (a wounding dig at Sinead O'Connor), sinister oddball clerics, or the ghastly pop star Eoin McLove.

Theirs is a world of moth-eaten innocence and surreal anarchy. The only moral action they ever take is to picket a rude foreign film at the cinema, where they carry meek placards bearing the legends "Careful, Now" and "Down With This Type of Thing," thus making it the most popular film in Craggy Island's history.

TedFest II started last week with a gathering of fans in Kilfenora, Co Clare, where much of the show's external footage was shot, and climaxed on Inishmore, the largest of the Aran Islands. None of the action was shot on the Arans, but the opening credit sequence is an air-shot of Inisheer, the smallest of the three. Clear? Last year, Inisheer objected to Inishmore's giving itself airs as "the real Craggy Island", and they held a football match to decide who had the right to the title. Inishmore won.

The island's residents may wonder if this was the happiest outcome, as they watch revellers arrive by every ferry, and cram every B&B, hotel room, lodging-house digs or tent, transforming their bleak limestone citadel into the setting for the biggest, silliest and probably booziest fancy dress party in what's left of Christendom.

My first sight on landing at Inishmore was a small scurrying figure on the quayside in a tweed jacket, woolly hat and apron, bearing a tray of teacups and cardboard egg sandwiches. It was the first of several dozen Mrs Doyles (male and female) I was to see during the day.

I fell into step beside Aisling, 23, a hazel-eyed beauty from Dublin pulling a builder's brick on a string leash. (Do keep up – Father Jack briefly adopts a brick in the episode "Speed 3" and makes it a pet.) Aisling recently graduated from Trinity in Politics and Sociology and drove across the country with two friends at 5am, fortified only by Buckfast Abbey Tonic Wine, the Dublin alkie's tipple. None had a ticket, but the security, she says, is "a pile of shite because, if you're in a costume, nobody checks". The girls had a brilliant time last year. Their ambitions are "to have a few drinks and a laugh and maybe hop up on a priest."

In Paitin (ie Poteen, or Irish moonshine) Jack's Bar at the Ostan Arann, the only hotel on Inishmore, a handsome, three-star establishment run by PJ O'Flaherty in a dog-collar, the Bishop from the ferry is on his second Guinness, talking to a small boy with a dog; the kid is weighed down a by a huge cross around his neck, as heavy as an albatross.

Aisling and her friends are at a table with a Pat Mustard, one of several incarnations of the lecherous milkman who, in the show, has sex with all the Craggy Island housewives and sends Mrs Doyle into a delirium of flirtatiousness. He is hairy, ear-ringed, has a chain round his neck; he has single-handedly populated the island with hairy babies. I worry about Aisling. Will her innate virtue be eroded by an excess of Buckfast Tonic, or an excess of Mustard?

The bar fills up with nuns. They come in all configurations, but seem startlingly young to be fans of a show that packed up a decade ago. Marie and Bernadette are twin sisters, aged 23, from Limerick; they're here with their neighbour and friend Sarah, 25. "We just love the pro-gramme," said Marie. "We know all the lines. Give us any line from the three series, we'll tell you where it's from." Not since the heyday of Monty Python have so many people memorised the lines of comic sketches. "I'm surprised people get the humour," said Bernadette. "It seems very Irish to me."

"Sometimes, for Irish people," said Marie, "it's like watching a documentary." They explained that, for girls at TedFest, the choice is to dress as Mrs Doyle, a nun or a Lovely Girl. Bernadette bought their costumes from a shop in Camden, north London. There had, she explained, been some saucy, mini-nuns' outfits, "but," she said, "I'm bein' quite blasphemous enough as it is without wearin' the tarty version."

Blasphemous? Was she serious? Probably. In an economically booming, successfully Europeanised, post-punt, post-emigrant and almost post-Catholic culture, this dressing-up as the clergy who ran the country in their parents' and grandparents' days is clearly a form of rebellion, but some vestigial guilt remains. "When she heard Dermot Morgan was dead," one girl told me, "me mam said, 'I'm not a bit surprised. That's what you get for cheekin' the priests.'"

I can't hang around the bar, though, because the five-a-side football is under way near the harbour. At the pitch – a small, indescribably muddy field whose goals must have been bought in a toyshop – I'm surprised to discover the real-life Sicilian five-a-side footie team gracefully warming up.

What are the Italians doing here? It's a piece of Irish logic. The Craggy Island World Cup, sponsored by Paddy Power, the bookies, is open to all "islands off the coast of Ireland". Teams have been fielded from two of the Arans, plus Clare Island, Tory Island, Rathlin Island, Inishbofin and a few others. Then last month, Giovanni Trapattoni, the Italian football coach, signed up to become the Irish national team's manager, starting this May, and the Craggy Island organisers asked the island of Sicily – certainly "an island off the coast of Ireland", though it's 1472 miles "off" – to send a five-a-side team.Which is why there are five well-groomed, wavy-haired (or fashionably shaven-headed) Italian Adonises on the muddy pitch alongside the hard men from Inisheer.

Scores of nuns press forward for a better view of the Sicilians' thighs. (Even the man from BBC Sport Northern Ireland is in full habit.) The first Mrs Doyle from the jetty is there, re-doing her jammy smudge of lipstick, beside a dispirited chap in a gorilla suit. Italian macaroons are handed round as a gesture of friendship. Despite being 10/11 favourites, the Sicilians lose to the islandmen, 4-2 on a penalty shootout. Four games later, the final sees the host island, Inishmore, playing Inishbofin for World Cup glory. The commentator is hilarious. "Inishbofin is playing into the – no wait, both teams are playing into the wind," he says. "The ball is cleared by No 4 there, the man with the highlights, obviously done at home by his cousin... The atmosphere is electric – like a hairdryer in the bath." When a goal is scored, a ragged cry goes up from the home supporters, outnumbered though they are by be-mitred bishops and hirsute milkmen. "I don't know how to say this," says the commentator, "but I just heard a nun behind me say 'Fookin' hell'..."

Back at the hotel, I discover that I've been invited to be one of the judges at the Lovely Girls beauty contest this evening. I am stunned by the honour (and when I ring the children in London to tell them the news, a note of genuine respect enters their voices for perhaps the first time ever).

In the bar I celebrate with a glass of Burgundy. The bar is crammed with lunching clergymen, red-faced monks and a contingent of Lovely Girls, chosen from local heats around the country. The girls drink gin and tonics, simper, flirt and take snaps of each other on their mobiles. One explains how much she likes "the humour of the fancy dress, because it's so subtle. It just creeps up on you, and you see something and say, 'Oh God, yes.' Like Eileen there, with her fake arms." I'm mystified. What arms? What is she talking about? "Eileen," she says, "show John the arms, willya?" A sweet-faced teenager, at a table of friends, displays two fleshy plastic forearms, attached to her wrists.

"I don't remember a Father Ted episode with fake arms," I say, stupidly. "When was that?"

As one woman, the six girls take a collectively aghast deep breath; one clamps a horrified hand to her mouth. I have made the most appalling gaffe. (The fake arms feature, of course, in "Escape From Victory", when Ted cheats at a football match.) A history professor announcing at high table that he'd never heard of the Franco-Prussian War would have felt less of a fool and an imposter. Will I be thrown out on my ear?

I retreat swiftly, to find the Sicilians surveying their lunch with distaste. On Saturday afternoons, many Irish people lunch on "soup and a sambo" (ie sandwich); perhaps the nomenclature confuses the stylish Italians. Their steely manager sips a pint of Guinness and grimaces.

Struggling through the mass of T-shirts saying, "Careful Now" and "I Love My Brick" and "It's A Priest Thing – You Wouldn't Understand", I discover Ken Robertson, head of communications at Paddy Power, the sponsors, who have shelled out £5,000 for the winner of the football, and a "significant" sum to get their name on the TedFest literature and T-shirts.

"It's the bizarreness of the event that attracted us," he says. "We like to get involved in unusual sports. Two years ago, we held the biggest ever strip-poker event with 400 players at the Café Royal, and this year we're supporting the Bingham Cup, the gay rugby world cup, which will be the biggest sporting event held in Ireland this year. We're really getting behind it, excuse the pun."

By the door, the glum Italians are leaving. "Can we just say goodbye to the Sicilian team?" says Peter Philips, the organiser, "who lost the tournament but brought us some lovely cakes?" The departing players beam at the wild cheers this provokes.

By teatime, the crowds have swelled even more, for an hour of Buckeroo Speed Dating, which involves silver-tongued men pressing their attentions on scornful young women, while loading a plastic donkey with buckets and ropes until it kicks them all off.

In the bar, extra Lovely Girls have been drafted in for tonight's contest, by a Wild Card system. One is Lisa Smith, a dark-haired, hyperactive management consultant from Galway, with a fondness for "touch rugby." Around us the costumes are getting sillier. One man is dressed as a six-foot bottle of beer. One is dressed as Henry Sellers, a walk-on TV personality with a fondness for sherry in an early episode. There's a score of men in silver-grey Ted wigs. People in rabbit heads wander past (Bishop Brennan suffers an infestation of rabbits at the parish house in "The Plague") and a very sensible-looking girl called Sarah, in pearls, pleated skirt and wimple says, "Sure, what else is there to do than be extremely silly sometimes?"

Huge amounts of drink have been consumed since 11am, but nobody seems actually drunk; the lecherous Pat Mustards redouble their hairy seduction attempts over more Bulmers. Urgent canoodlings in the corridors suggest there may be a high incidence of priest-hopping before the evening is over. It occurs to me that few people have dressed up as the decrepit Father Jack – but I suppose it makes it harder to pull, when your shirt-front is covered in drool, vomit and dribble. What about the Mrs Doyles, in their aprons and picture hats? They seem, surprisingly, to be much in demand among the boys. There must be some atavistic (can it be Oedipal?) impulse in young Irishmen to part these decent, God-fearing, pinafored ladies from their foundation garments. I'm almost sure I felt a twinge myself, once or twice.

The climax of the weekend is the Lovely Girls beauty contest, in which nine prime examples of Irish womanhood are put through their paces in the island's small but glamorous dance-hall. Talent, everyone explains to me, is not the point. Nor are good looks. What's important is loveliness. My fellow judges, Ken and Maria, explain that we're judging "the concept of loveliness of a bygone age".

This contest is a piss-take of the Rose of Tralee Festival, Ireland's hilariously old-fashioned beauty contest, whose entrants must display such things as moral rigour, respect for their parents and an interest in charitable works, as well as have an acceptable figure, in order to win. You can bet the Rose of Tralee girls have never faced such a howling mob of desperadoes as the Lovelies face tonight. One is dressed in a Pink Panther suit (the connection? There's a passing mention, in "Are You Right There, Father Ted?" of Kato, Peter Sellers's domestic manservant/assailant in the Pink Panther movies) and a two-man horse can be seen in the crowd. The Limerick nuns are at the front, plus a slew of disruptive hardnuts dressed as sheep (uh-oh).

We judges take our seats, to much barracking. The compère Joe Rooney (who played Dougal's disruptive young pal Father Damo in one episode) brings on the girls. One by one, they must walk, or sway, successfully around traffic cones to show off their lovely bottoms (I'm sorry, but the word "bottoms" is right there in the Rules) and talk about their dreams of domestic virtue and marital servitude.

Madeleine, in a fetching green beret, explains that the women in the audience shouldn't be out tonight, but "at home, cooking supper for our husbands". If they had need of a job, it should be "doing the little drawings in a parish newsletter". Katie from Kilfenora, a brazen minx with dyed black hair, carries on a pottery hen, extracts plastic eggs and sends them flying over the first 10 rows. Lots of girls bring domestic props – scone-making mix, copies of The Irish Catholic, scrubbers, kitchen tools, holy water bottles – and cakes. One cake is shaped like a Toilet Duck. One is a gigantic scone, from inside which Miss Belfast Lovely Girl – Bridie O'Reilly – extracts a woolly jumper.

My heart is stolen away by the favourite, Miss Cork, a care worker called Tess Marnane, 21, and far too beautiful to be merely Lovely, who performed a charming feather-duster dance; but Miss Galway was also strongly favoured, because of her hand-knitted bloomers. You know Aran sweaters and their thick, white-ribbed material? She recommended Aran knickers as a corrective to the skimpy thong abominations in modern shops, and had brought along a pair, which she pulled on beneath her skirt, to roars from the crowd. "What's this little pocket at the front for?" asked the compere. "It's where I keep my rosary beads," said the girl. "Are they the kind that vibrate?" countered the wicked Mr Rooney.

As a final test, the Lovely Girls were required to make sandwiches in a sudden-death play-off. Each was given a tray of white sliced bread, Kerrygold butter and a tin of sardines and the resulting sandwiches were minutely examined with magnifying glasses, tape measures, calibrated forceps. One girl, disgusted by her efforts, hurled a slice of bread over her shoulder into the crowd. So did another. Soon they came hurtling back on to the stage, along with other, unrelated items of food, and soft toys...

But this is where we came in. I'm not sure what the TedFest says about Irish culture, the preoccupations of the young, the role of the priesthood, or the desire of young men to dress up as rabbits. To some extent, it's the spectacle of modern Ireland unburdening itself of its excessively religious past and embracing a world of anarchy in which identities don't matter. Then again, it's a colossal fancy dress party, where total strangers can admire each other's efforts, and there's no host except a fictional priest impersonated by a charismatic, grey-haired actor who died 10 years ago. A deliciously bogus celebration of churchy virtue and old-fashioned decency, it's the closest thing I know to a pagan saturnalia. As Ted himself might have written on his placard: Up With This Type Of Thing.

-------------------

ah now, that looks like a good daft day out!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Graham Linehan (Fr Ted writer) Reply with quote

www.denofgeek.com/television/22098/the_den_of_geek_interview_graham_linehan.html
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ardal O'Hanlon: I always feel at home in Liverpool
May 30 2008
by Fiona Ennys
Liverpool Echo

ARDAL O’Hanlon often jokes that he’d love to do an interview with Neil Armstrong and never mention the moon. Similarly, it’d be tempting to interview the Irish comic without asking about Father Ted – the now legendary sitcom in which he made his name as loveable, none-too-bright priest Father Dougal Maguire. But as a massive fan of the Irish ecclesiastical sit-com, there’s no way I could miss the opportunity. And he doesn’t seem to mind one bit.

"Dougal was so good for me," says Ardal, 42. "He opened doors which never would have opened. He sold out my stand-up tours and brought me a wide audience." And then he adds: "I’ll never tire of talking about him to anyone who wants to listen."

But despite his successes on television, he still gets nervous when he has to do live shows. "It is still really daunting and very scary standing on stage in front of a bunch of people," he says. "I’m not as bad as I used to be. It used to be that I couldn’t eat, I couldn’t communicate with other people, I couldn’t do anything. But I think as you get older you learn to enjoy it a bit more. It’s like bungee jumping – it makes you feel totally alive. I love it more than anything and can’t wait to get back into it."

Even off-stage, Ardal has the same wide-eyed innocence of Father Dougal. He seems like an uncomplicated soul, enthused by the opportunities of the grown-up world. He becomes even more animated as he talks about starring in The Three Fellas at the ECHO Arena, alongside Dylan Moran and Tommy Tiernan next month.

"I can’t tell you how excited we all are about that," he grins. "Comedy can be quite a lonely occupation – you tour on your own – and even though you’re out on stage every night, it can feel like solitary confinement. This time, I’m doing a gig with my mates, I can’t wait. Plus it’s in Liverpool, which to me always feels like home. Irish comedians always say playing Liverpool feels like playing Dublin, and it really does. The sense of humour is just about the same. Sometimes I’ll be walking through Liverpool and I’ll think I’m in Dublin. The air just kind of feels the same."

How do you think your act will transfer to a space as big as the ECHO Arena? "It’s going to be the biggest gig I’ve ever done," he says. "But I think what we do will work in the space, and I can’t think of a better city to do it in, particularly in this Capital of Culture year. I’m working on some new material, and I’ll try to get a few Liverpool jokes in there, too. You’ll have to wait and see what though."

But for now Ardal has decided to put his feet up and take things easy at home with his wife – childhood sweetheart Melanie – and their two daughters and a young son. You can’t blame him. In recent months he has been hard at work on a new project, but he’s keeping the details under wraps.

"I’m writing my own sit-com," says Ardal. "I can’t say too much about it – it’s still very much a work in progress – don’t ask me too much or I’ll give it all away. I’m enjoying writing it. I’ve been in so many sit-coms, that it’s really interesting to write my own.

Can you give us any clues about it?

“I don’t know a lot about it myself yet,” he says. “There are still more questions than answers. I don’t even know where to set it yet. In fact, you might have given me an idea there, I might set it in Liverpool. That’d be great.”

Ardal is a born storyteller. Beyond the world of television, he is an accomplished writer, and his novel, The Talk Of The Town, won rave reviews when it was published in 1998. But, he says there are no plans for more. “I’ve done a bit of writing, but I couldn’t call myself a writer,” he says, bashfully. “I’ve got a failed novel kicking around on my desk. I’ve been tinkering with it for two years, and it’s still not right. I think that’s someone’s way of telling me to give up.”

With his self-depreciating wit, it would be easy to underestimate Ardal. But beneath the bluff and bluster lies a sharp mind. One of six children, he was born in the Irish border town of Carrickmacross, the son of Fianna Fail minister Rory O’Hanlon. “My father was Ireland’s Minister For Health at one time – his star shone and then it faded,” says Ardal

He was schooled at the fee-paying Blackrock College in Dublin (whose alumni include novelist Liam O'Flaherty and Sir Bob Geldof) and graduated, in 1987, from Dublin City University. Despite the serious beginnings, Ardal realised that comedy was his vocation:

“Comedy is a bohemian life, and that’s what I love,” he says. “At the moment I can take time out with Melanie and the kids, which is just heaven for me. In my teens I decided it was impossible to take anything seriously and I have never met anyone yet who has found the secret of being happy all the time. Plus, my expectations are low so anything that happens is a bonus.”

Ardal O’ Hanlon stars with Dylan Moran and Tommy Tiernan in The Three Fellas at the ECHO Arena, Liverpool on Saturday June 14. Tickets £30. Book on 0844 8000 400.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fr Stone speaks
Michael Redmond became famous as Fr Stone in ‘Father Ted’, and the dog collar has been a recurring motif throughout his career so far, writes JAY RICHARDSON
irishtimes.com

‘I ONLY HAD it once where a woman came up to me after a show, disappointed, and said ‘I thought you were going to be like Fr Stone’. She thought I was going to stand there, unmoving for 20 minutes, just saying ‘I’m fine’.”

Michael Redmond smiles a broad, toothy grin at the memory. Such a challenging, minimalist display wouldn’t seem out of place amid the more pretentious shows at the Edinburgh Fringe. Back at the world’s largest arts festival for the first time in more than a decade, and championed by the likes of Stewart Lee and Ed Byrne, the hangdog, droopy-moustached comedian forever associated with his Father Ted appearance as the most boring priest on the planet, is, nevertheless, a familiar sight to Scottish audiences. He comperes monthly Best of Irish showcases and hosts his Sunday Service every week at the Stand in Glasgow, where he lives.

The 59-year-old from Blackrock has long sported a shock of Einsteinian grey hair atop Stone’s distinctive deadpan, and people insist on reminding Redmond of that single Father Ted episode, 15 years after it was first broadcast. “It’s great – it heightens the profile,” he enthuses. “It’s not like it was for Ardal [O’Hanlon] initially, when everyone was always expecting him to be Dougal.”

Invited to perform at the inaugural Tedfest on Inishmore in 2007, he recalls “hundreds and hundreds of priests, but significantly more Mrs Doyles – of both sexes, bizarrely”.

When his former girlfriend opened an upmarket delicatessen in Glasgow’s West End, in which he occasionally worked, a local newspaper ran with the headline: “Father Ted Star Opens Fruit And Veg Shop.” “I think a lot of people assumed Dermot [Morgan] was down on his luck,” chuckles Redmond of his late friend, who died 12 years ago, a day after filming the final Father Ted episode.

It had been a last-minute cancellation of a never-broadcast Morgan series for RTÉ, in which he featured, that prompted Redmond to quit Dublin in 1987. He left to try London’s burgeoning alternative comedy scene, joining Kevin McAleer, Ian Macpherson and Owen O’Neill as the first wave of Irish stand-ups since Dave Allen to make an impact on UK comedy.

After that first, bitter taste of censorship, he experienced it once more when his one-man Edinburgh show, Eamon, Older Brother of Jesus was developed for BBC Radio 4, then pulled four days before broadcast when the station’s new controller, a Scottish Catholic, heard the tape. “I never set out to be offensive. It wasn’t about lampooning religion, particularly. I was more interested in this character that didn’t get a look-in because his brother was the Messiah. I might have realised Jesus having an older brother inferred Mary wasn’t a virgin though!”

Eamon was subsequently snuck out on Alan Davies’s mid-1990s Radio 1 show in brief instalments. Still, for a lapsed Catholic, Redmond can’t seem to shake the priesthood habit. Twice since Fr Stone he’s been cast in a dog collar, once on Chris Morris’s controversial Channel 4 satire Brass Eye and more recently in the low-budget film Voodoophone .

Now he’s penned his first novel, a darkly comic tale about an Irish paedophile priest, “who begins blackmailing kids because he’s heard their confessions. So they decide to kidnap him. But he dies. Several publishers have told me they really like it but they’ll never be able to sell it, even though most Irish writing is pretty dark in my experience.”

It’s Not Father Stone – It’s . . . Michael Redmond! is at the Gilded Balloon Teviot, Edinburgh. until August 30
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Craggy Island to the Yorkshire Dales - former Father Ted star Frank Kelly moves into Emmerdale
30th September 2010

Father Ted star Frank Kelly is swapping Craggy Island for the Yorkshire Dales after landing a role in Emmerdale. The Irish actor, who played foul-mouthed alcoholic priest Father Jack Hackett in the sitcom, has been cast as Dermot Macey, the eccentric father of businessman Declan Macey (Jason Merrells).

He joins the show along with Declan's ex-wife Ella, played by Corinne Wicks, and the former couple's daughter Mia (Sapphire Elia), who all move into Home Farm in the wake of the Wylde empire's demise.

Frank, who was known for spouting 'Drink!', 'A**e!' and 'Girls!' as layabout Father Jack, insists his new character is very different. He said: 'He's not that kind of guy. He wouldn't swear. He's a pretty cool dude with a bit of a twinkle in his eye and he likes pretty ladies.'

The family's arrival in the village is staggered. First, sexy nail-bar boss Ella jets in from Singapore and sets about trying to win back her ex. She is closely followed by her carefree daughter Mia, who is soon turning heads. Dermot lands on their doorstep when he finds himself homeless after his houseboat sinks, and soon starts rubbing his son up the wrong way.

Corinne, best known for her role in Doctors, said: 'I'm extremely chuffed. When I got married five years ago I walked down the aisle to the theme tune of Father Ted, so I'm very excited.' Sapphire, who starred in Britannia High, added: 'Emmerdale is such an established and well-loved show and it's a brilliant opportunity for me. Mia is full of fun and I can't wait to see what she's going to get up to.'

Corinne and Sapphire make their debut in the soap in November, while Kelly hits screens the following month.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dermot Morgan - Jackpot!
An RTE quiz show which Dermot fronted... I keep expecting him to break into Ted mode, but it's real!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Comedy News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: