At home with Israelis and Palestinians

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: At home with Israelis and Palestinians Reply with quote

---
I found this article so irritating, it prompted to register the following complaint:

I was very disappointed by this article purportedly on the so-called peace negotiations taking place in Annapolis. Almost devoid of meaningful content, it still manages to be biased toward the Israeli subjects while giving short shrift to the Palestinians.

The opening salvo ("Following the Middle East peace conference in the US city of Annapolis, most Israelis and Palestinians yearn for a resolution that will allow them to live normal, peaceful lives.") leads one to think the article will actually discuss the issues of peace, justice, or even Annapolis. But none of them are mentioned. The author admits in the final paragraph that, "We did not speak about Annapolis or the peace process at either meal but I left both thinking..." So despite the introduction, he isn't actually concerned with discussing the opinions of Israeli's or Palestinians so much as his own.

What's worse, in between, the author takes time and care emphasizing the small pleasures of living in a (presumably illegal) Jewish "settlement," while his account of Palestinian life focuses heavily on petty details such as what dishes were served and (so briefly you almost miss it) the family's size.

The Israeli "settlement" is full of life and colour. He carefully notes how the Jewish Sabbath is a period of "pause and reflection." He relishes little pleasures such as "cheerful singing," the smile of "a Moroccan Jew with his son on his lap," his [host's] three-year-old daughter playing with a Slinky, and "warm, loving family banter and prayers and [again] singing."

This contrasts heavily to the utter lack of detail he provides of Palestinian life (aside from the previously-mentioned menu and head count). The only personal comments the author makes about his hosts rest heavily on a ten-year-old boy's "delight" at the author's prowess at chess or Uno.

As a story providing depth or insight into conflicting views, this article falls terribly short. But even in the very limited context of providing a window into the lives of Israelis and Palestinians, the author's bias is clear.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Major, but will they publish it?
major.tom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so much interested in them publishing it. I just wish we would get real insight, context and balance in the press. This article is devoid of all three. Perhaps writing them will nudge them in the right direction.
luke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one major

i doubt you'll even get a reply though, i hope you do - i've complained to the bbc on articles before ( the last time on the nick giffin / 'free speech' debate ) and not once have even received acknowledgment that they've received it - let alone one trying to explain

they do deal with some though, you get to see some on the medialens board - some of their responses will boggle your mind!

i'm getting ready to start complaining again tomorrow - you know the anti chavez propaganda will be in full flow!
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

major, That's excellent. Well done on your complaint & letting us know.

Tempted to mention you should cc / tell http://www.medialens.org and/or http://www.arabmediawatch.com
major.tom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, Mandy. I'll check out those websites and see if there's a way to contribute.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: