Saudi Rape Victim Gets 200 Lashes and Jail
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Saudi Rape Victim Gets 200 Lashes and Jail Reply with quote

I Really do not like this story at all......
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had seen this on the news a while ago. It made me sick to my stomach. I understand she broke the segregation laws but SHE WAS RAPED!
luke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saudi arabia's nasty - the saudi royal family that rules are evil

listen to blair and paxman, when paxman says about saudi arabia chopping peoples arms off and torturing people ...

11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly can not imagine receiving 200 lashes. Much less just for being in a car with a male non-relative.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cousin just moved to Jeddah and has found it odd she is not even allowed to smile at men in public!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This BBC story puts a particularly odious exclamation point to this matter. The headline reads: "Saudi rape victim 'having affair'"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7112999.stm

I guess the public outrage at this injustice prompted the Saudi "Justice" department to ratchet up the propaganda. Shameful.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lashes are not given out in one single burst - they give you X amount one day then wait until your scars heal a bit then do more... lovely.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
saudi arabia's nasty - the saudi royal family that rules are evil

listen to blair and paxman, when paxman says about saudi arabia chopping peoples arms off and torturing people ...

Hmm .... so as long as we get what we need from U .......do as U will .....FFS
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A women is a women is a women Regardless..... and should be treated as one .....
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story was and is terrible. Saudia Arabia are not very kind to it's womenfolk. I don't like extremism in any religion. Not if it doesn't treat every individual as a human being and an equal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are regimes which claim religious following, but have huge bills for activities which would be illegal at home. That's hypocrisy. Don't blame the religion, but the rulers.

For example, the 200 lashes for a rape victim would never happen in Iran - but Iran gets all the threats because it isn't following the dictates of the West, whilst trading more with China & Russia.
luke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
Hmm .... so as long as we get what we need from U .......do as U will .....FFS

yeah, as long as they have 25% of the worlds oil and continue to buy billions of pounds worth of arms, we'll keep them sweet. they even got the red carpet treatment here a few weeks back, golden carriage to buckingham palace with the queen etc - sick

pirtybirdy wrote:
Saudia Arabia are not very kind to it's womenfolk.

'not very kind' is one way of putting it i guess ...

Quote:
But life in Saudi Arabia is worst of all for women. While King Abdullah offers praise for Britain's female head of state, in his country all women are kept in effect under house arrest. They are banned from driving, from leaving the house without a male guardian, even in a medical emergency, or from holding a passport. Whenever women try to struggle free from these rules, the "Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice" – a posse of uniformed thugs who stalk the streets – beat them with batons.

There was a rare glimpse into how this system of gender apartheid works last year when a female Saudi writer called Badria al-Bisher authored a plea for change. She wrote: "Imagine being a woman, and being subject to harassment, beating, or murder, then when your picture is published in local newspapers, along with the criminals' in all their murderousness, there will still be those who ask if you, the victim, were veiled ... Imagine being a woman whose nose, arms, and legs are now broken by your husband, and when you submit a complaint to a judge saying: He beats me! He'd casually reply by saying: Yes? What else? ... Imagine being a woman, and this "guardian" of yours is your 15-year-old son."

read the rest at http://couchtripper.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=5899

brutal, oppressive and evil is another

tell me pirty, following on from your logic in another thread on cuba, why are the american government not treating saudia arabia like they do cuba? in cuba, nothing like this happens, and yet cuba feels the full force of american power, yet saudi arabia are close allies and business partners of america? the bush and saudi royal family have a long and extremely close relationship.

you should have a read of this book;

Quote:
House of Bush, House of Saud

House of Bush, House of Saud: The Secret Relationship Between the World's Two Most Powerful Dynasties is a 2004 book by Craig Unger that explores the relationship between the Saudi Royal Family and the Bush extended political family. Unger asserts that the groundwork for today's terrorist movements and the modern wars that have sprung up about them was unintentionally laid more than 30 years ago with a series of business deals between the ruling Saudis and the powerful Bush family. The Saudis received investments and military protection in exchange for cooperation on lucrative oil deals. The author claims that the result has been a shady alliance between "the world's two most powerful dynasties." Unger writes, "Never before has an American president been so closely tied to a foreign power that harbors and supports our country's mortal enemies."

http://www.amazon.com/House-Bush-Saud-Relationship-Dynasties/dp/074325337X

thats quite a selection of business partners the bush family have amassed over the years, prescott bush and the nazis, george bush and the saudis ...

people might be interested in these two democracy now shows on the bush / saudi links;

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/03/18/157206
http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/05/11/1341216

pirtybirdy wrote:
I don't like extremism in any religion.

this hasn't got anything to do with religion - i don't think you'll find any religion that condones treating anyone like they do in saudi arabia
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:

pirtybirdy wrote:
I don't like extremism in any religion.

this hasn't got anything to do with religion - i don't think you'll find any religion that condones treating anyone like they do in saudi arabia

I agree. Indeed, in Islam women have as much, if not more, protection / rights than men -- and a lot more protection / rights than most women in the West.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking politics with any of you folks. You have your own agenda, and you will blank out any other viewpoint. Let's just say I will never follow your idea of how things should be run in your country and you will never follow mine. I have to say, I've seen so many blatant lies and where some of you get your information is beyond me. Lots are out and out false. Again though, this topic isn't about politics so much as it is about a religion in which these particular people take the words in the book and use it to hurt other people, namely women. Women don't have rights in Saudia Arabia, and to say they do, shows that you have blinders on. If that's how you want to live through life, so be it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: