newsnight tonight on the respect split ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: newsnight tonight on the respect split ... Reply with quote

Quote:
RESPECT

Rather like the Monty Python take on the People's Front of Judaea who were NOT under any circumstances to be confused with the Judean People's Front, George Galloway's party "Respect" is holding its conference this weekend. And so is Respect. Confused? Well, there's a split. Or maybe there isn't. Our political editor Michael Crick will try to find out.

you just know this is going to be bad ...
nekokate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should devise a drinking game.

Take a swig everytime Muslims are mentioned.

Two swigs everytime Celeb Big Brother is mentioned.

Finish the glass if they associate George with Saddam Hussein.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pissed by 11pm again? I'm up for it!
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see the report? Is it worth adding to the archive?
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/uk_politics/7099499.stm
luke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you should have had at least three swigs neko! ( muslims & bb ) i don't think saddam was mentioned, but i was taking some pliers to a radiator at the time in a ( failed ) attempt to make it work and wasn't paying to much attention

you can watch the archive if you really wanna see george and pete burns doing their robot dance ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/question_time/default.stm

from medialens; where crick was described as 'BBC Newsnight's gimp-in-chief' Smile

Quote:
Dear Peter,

Michael Crick's Newsnight 'report' (16 November 2007) on the split within Respect was a disgraceful piece of shallow, biased 'journalism'.

We had the usual and expected cheap jibes and trivialities (Life of Brian-type factionalisms and that well-worn footage of Galloway in his Big Brother attire). But, we also had offensive, insulting commentary from Crick on those who form part of this movement.

I'd like you to consider very seriously the propriety of a so-called serious investigative reporter talking in sneering tones of the (former) Respect coalition as “Muslims, Marxists and a ragbag of others on the left.”

I actually count myself as a supportive part of that “ragbag” left tradition. Are people who have contributed as activists, academics and in other socially-progressive ways just to be dismissed in such derisory terms? And why the implied assumption of Muslims, Marxists and the “ragbag” as somehow distinct? Can't a Muslim also be a Marxist – or part of the “ragbag”?

Is it remotely possible to report earnestly, analytically and, dare I say it, intellectually, on such matters? Or does Gavin Esler's own sneering laugh at the end of the piece represent the true nature of Newsnight's approach to covering the left? I strongly suspect so.

You should really be embarrassed by Crick's puerile output. It's no more qualitative than that expected of the Sun.

Regards,
John

Quote:
It's not just that Crick's report is biased and cliché-ridden. It's the patronising assumption that the viewer can't see this, nor cares to desire anything more qualitative.

It's part of a deep and widening poverty of journalism which eschews any serious attempt to understand, inform and explain an issue in its analytic essentials. It's dumbed-down reportage posing as 'flippant', 'irreverent' 'invstigation'.

"Confused? I am", says Crick, feigning apparent bemusement at the 'double conference'. Actually, it's not very confusing at all, as Crick obviously knows. Neither is this just a reporting device. It's part of the standard medium of ridicule reserved for left political matters.

Ultimately, there's nothing of substance here, no contextual analysis, little that would leave the viewer more aware or enlightened.

It's, essentially, 'info-tainment'. Piece pending about the 'mad left?' Let's get 'Crick on the case.' Context and story-line? Oh, yes, let's do the usual jocular stroll around the main players; even get them to comment in serious tones so we can intercut it with pantomime clips and references.

If this wasn't such a gross distortion, Crick's piece could itself be laughed-off as pantomime journalism. Alas, with it's box of editorial tricks and clowning tone, that's exactly what it is. The problem is the serious propaganda it serves to convey in the process.
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Luke. Sounds like it was everything we imagined it would be.

I remember the last Newsnight report on George, and that I took it apart in a post on this site. It reallly doesn't surprise me that they're still on the same page. Fluff journalism; intellectually bankrupt.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got that link incorrect Luke - here's the right one

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/

I'm grabbing the segment just now anyway, it's always good to keep a record of the shite...

btw, to the person in the article who asks 'Can a muslim not also be a Marxist?' No, they can't.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the clip:

http://www.humyo.com/F/46070721/EMBED
Salim201

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

george is supposed to be on sky news now, at 11:40 it said in big letters, then it said richard perle is gonna be on aswell and maybe he objected to being on the show at the same time, it looks like they've axed galloway or made a serious typo error! check it out... lunchtime with adam boulton
Salim201

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conference where George isn't attending is at MY UNIVERSITY westminster!!! i'll be there
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: