U.S. pilot who dropped Hiroshima bomb dies
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Historically Yours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: U.S. pilot who dropped Hiroshima bomb dies Reply with quote

Quote:
U.S. pilot who dropped Hiroshima bomb dies

Paul Tibbets, the pilot of the U.S. bomber that dropped the first atomic bomb on Japan on Aug. 6, 1945, died on Thursday at age 92, a newspaper reported.

Tibbets, who died at his home in Columbus, Ohio, had suffered strokes and was ill from heart failure, the Columbus Dispatch said in its online edition.

An experienced pilot who had flown some of the first bombing missions over Germany during World War Two, Tibbets was a 30-year-old colonel commanding the Enola Gay, a B-29 Superfortress bomber named for his mother.

After a six-hour flight to Japan, Tibbets' crew dropped the bomb, code-named "Little Boy," over Hiroshima at 8:15 a.m.

"If Dante had been with us on the plane, he would have been terrified," Tibbets said later. "The city we had seen so clearly in the sunlight a few minutes before was now an ugly smudge. It had completely disappeared under this awful blanket of smoke and fire."

The bomb instantly killed about 78,000 people. By the end of 1945, the number of dead had reached about 140,000 out of an estimated population of 350,000.

Three days later the United States dropped an atomic bomb nicknamed "Fat Man" on Nagasaki.

Tibbets said in interviews he did not regret the decision to drop the bomb.

He became a brigadier general before leaving the military in 1966. Later he was president of Executive Jet Aviation, a Columbus-based international air-taxi service, the newspaper said.

he was one evil twisted bastard this guy, when asked if he would use nuclear weapons to kill terrorists responsible for the 9/11 attacks, he said;

"Oh, I wouldn't hesitate if I had the choice. I'd wipe 'em out. You're gonna kill innocent people at the same time, but we've never fought a damn war anywhere in the world where they didn't kill innocent people. If the newspapers would just cut out the shit: 'You've killed so many civilians.' That's their tough luck for being there."

i was shocked to learn that one of those planes used to kill so many people is proudly on display in america crazed Mad angry wow
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd happily piss on that fucker's grave
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would I, but would you protest at the funeral if you knew supports of his would be there?

(There is another thread about harassment by a bigoted church at a funeral, and them being fined $10million for damages)
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right yeah, a grunt soldier is the same as this fucker. End of discussion.
nekokate

I'm considerate, so I'd piss on his grave and not tell his family.
luke

he knew there would be plenty of people who'd want to do that - so he's been buried without a tombstone
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even piss on his grave. Why would I want to give him any sort of attention or anything from him? He's not worth it.
nekokate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
he knew there would be plenty of people who'd want to do that - so he's been buried without a tombstone

They just engraved a toilet seat instead
Laughing
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no tombstone? spoilsports. Ah well, the next time I'm going past an american airbase I'll take a moment to stop and piss on it instead. A quiet and nutrient-full protest.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

i thought some might be interested in this article about hiroshima and the media cover up of the horror

Quote:
The Hiroshima Cover-Up
by Amy Goodman and David Goodman

A story that the U.S. government hoped would never see the light of day finally has been published, 60 years after it was spiked by military censors. The discovery of reporter George Weller's firsthand account of conditions in post-nuclear Nagasaki sheds light on one of the great journalistic betrayals of the last century: the cover-up of the effects of the atomic bombing on Japan.

On Aug. 6, 1945, the U.S. dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima; three days later, Nagasaki was hit. Gen. Douglas MacArthur promptly declared southern Japan off-limits, barring the news media. More than 200,000 people died in the atomic bombings of the cities, but no Western journalist witnessed the aftermath and told the story. Instead, the world's media obediently crowded onto the battleship USS Missouri off the coast of Japan to cover the Japanese surrender.

A month after the bombings, two reporters defied General MacArthur and struck out on their own. Mr. Weller, of the Chicago Daily News, took row boats and trains to reach devastated Nagasaki. Independent journalist Wilfred Burchett rode a train for 30 hours and walked into the charred remains of Hiroshima.

Both men encountered nightmare worlds. Mr. Burchett sat down on a chunk of rubble with his Baby Hermes typewriter. His dispatch began: "In Hiroshima, 30 days after the first atomic bomb destroyed the city and shook the world, people are still dying, mysteriously and horribly - people who were uninjured in the cataclysm from an unknown something which I can only describe as the atomic plague."

He continued, tapping out the words that still haunt to this day: "Hiroshima does not look like a bombed city. It looks as if a monster steamroller has passed over it and squashed it out of existence. I write these facts as dispassionately as I can in the hope that they will act as a warning to the world."

Mr. Burchett's article, headlined "The Atomic Plague," was published Sept. 5, 1945, in the London Daily Express. The story caused a worldwide sensation and was a public relations fiasco for the U.S. military. The official U.S. narrative of the atomic bombings downplayed civilian casualties and categorically dismissed as "Japanese propaganda" reports of the deadly lingering effects of radiation.

So when Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter George Weller's 25,000-word story on the horror that he encountered in Nagasaki was submitted to military censors, General MacArthur ordered the story killed, and the manuscript was never returned. As Mr. Weller later summarized his experience with General MacArthur's censors, "They won."

Recently, Mr. Weller's son, Anthony, discovered a carbon copy of the suppressed dispatches among his father's papers (George Weller died in 2002). Unable to find an interested American publisher, Anthony Weller sold the account to Mainichi Shimbun, a big Japanese newspaper. Now, on the 60th anniversary of the atomic bombings, Mr. Weller's account can finally be read.

"In swaybacked or flattened skeletons of the Mitsubishi arms plants is revealed what the atomic bomb can do to steel and stone, but what the riven atom can do against human flesh and bone lies hidden in two hospitals of downtown Nagasaki," wrote Mr. Weller. A month after the bombs fell, he observed, "The atomic bomb's peculiar 'disease,' uncured because it is untreated and untreated because it is not diagnosed, is still snatching away lives here."

After killing Mr. Weller's reports, U.S. authorities tried to counter Mr. Burchett's articles by attacking the messenger. General MacArthur ordered Mr. Burchett expelled from Japan (the order was later rescinded), his camera mysteriously vanished while he was in a Tokyo hospital and U.S. officials accused him of being influenced by Japanese propaganda.

Then the U.S. military unleashed a secret propaganda weapon: It deployed its own Times man. It turns out that William L. Laurence, the science reporter for The New York Times, was also on the payroll of the War Department.

For four months, while still reporting for the Times, Mr. Laurence had been writing press releases for the military explaining the atomic weapons program; he also wrote statements for President Harry Truman and Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson. He was rewarded by being given a seat on the plane that dropped the bomb on Nagasaki, an experience that he described in the Times with religious awe.

Three days after publication of Mr. Burchett's shocking dispatch, Mr. Laurence had a front-page story in the Times disputing the notion that radiation sickness was killing people. His news story included this remarkable commentary: "The Japanese are still continuing their propaganda aimed at creating the impression that we won the war unfairly, and thus attempting to create sympathy for themselves and milder terms. ... Thus, at the beginning, the Japanese described 'symptoms' that did not ring true."

Mr. Laurence won a Pulitzer Prize for his reporting on the atomic bomb, and his faithful parroting of the government line was crucial in launching a half-century of silence about the deadly lingering effects of the bomb. It is time for the Pulitzer board to strip Hiroshima's apologist and his newspaper of this undeserved prize.

Sixty years late, Mr. Weller's censored account stands as a searing indictment not only of the inhumanity of the atomic bomb but also of the danger of journalists embedding with the government to deceive the world.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great and disgusting example of a conspiracy if ever there was one. Have you got links to the full report at all Luke?
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
That's a great and disgusting example of a conspiracy if ever there was one. Have you got links to the full report at all Luke?

There is a few links on this Google Search .. though these are to the article, and not the report itself.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't got it bookmarked, but i know around the anniversary a lot of it was available online - i read a lot of it, just pure evil - theres no other words for it
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
ust pure evil - theres no other words for it

The worrying thing is that this isn't ancient history. Japan is still suffering the after-effects.

Also, people of the same mentality are in charge of the White House and using the same excuses of "necessity" to justify use of Nuclear Weapons against a state which doesn't have them.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're also using the same methods of hiding the truth about the reality of the wars - thats the one thing they learnt after vietnam - you have to keep the reality from the public. i've got an interesting talk from chomsky somewhere where he goes through it all

there was a survey a while back about what the average american thought of the war, how many had died etc - it was quite sad reading, the government and media has done an incredible job of keeping the truth from them, they didn't have a clue Sad

my screen keeps going all weird! either aliens are trying to contact me, or my monitors on its way out - banging it seems to be working at the moment, but that can't last for long ... Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Historically Yours All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: