Did Peres really boast Israelis are 'Buying Out Manhattan'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Did Peres really boast Israelis are 'Buying Out Manhattan' Reply with quote

Did Peres really boast Israelis are 'Buying Out Manhattan' ?

Anyone fluent in Hungarian and/or Hebrew out there who can assist in this ?

I know we have seen some ex-Russian oligarchs who are now Israeli citizens.

This is a twist on the anti-semitic variant, so surprised if Peres would say this.

However, irrespective of what Peres said, free market capitalism is becoming the preferred weapon for enforcing the colonial empire
(wage indenture)
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last thing I'd rely on Rense.com for (even if the site worked) would be a fair and balanced view on anything to do with Israel.

Personally I couldn't care less who owns New York.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
The last thing I'd rely on Rense.com for (even if the site worked) would be a fair and balanced view on anything to do with Israel.

I TOTALLY agree, which is why I was hoping someone can translate the original sources of the reports, which were a Hungarian paper and an Israeli paper

faceless wrote:
Personally I couldn't care less who owns New York.

This is a symptom. The report wasn't just about New York, but property in multiple countries. Unfortunately the site seems down.

If US tax payers are sending billions every year to Israel, and some of this money is being channeled back to corrupt the US political system, or distort property prices round the world, then you SHOULD care.

Another reason to care is that, as George Galloway has said on air, one of the reasons property prices are so high in the UK are non-domiciled overseas buyers who pay very little UK tax. For the sake of the people who can't afford today's huge property prices, you SHOULD care who is driving the prices of property to such high levels.

Surely you must care that workers can afford the cost of housing ?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can afford my rent for the assured indefinite tenancy from a Housing Association that I have and even if someone bought them out my rent would remain in line. Also, any new owner couldn't evict me under current law if I keep up to date, plus I get the benefits of having workers who are based only 200m away who will fix anything that goes wrong without me having to shell out hundreds or thousands.

There's not a chance I'd get a mortgage anyway - I've hardly existed on the credit-rating books for 20 years or more.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, your lack of a negative credit event, may make you quite eligible for a mortgage (certainly a better bet than a lot of the people who took out sub-prime mortgages). But of-course, you wouldn't want to take out a mortgage .. you are sorted.

Unfortunately, a lot of jobs are in town centers like London where people are finding it very hard to get affordable housing within reasonable commute distance from their jobs.

Low cost housing, which is a key to staff mobility, is essential for the efficient operation of the country.

And even if one person is sorted, if they get married or have kids, then they may have big difficulties moving up to a bigger property.
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this report today as to why high house prices (which leads to high rent prices) is important to millions in the UK :

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private rents are high - if people want to aspire to more than they can afford then that's their problem. But in the long term these private rents will force companies to buy up housing if they want to attract staff, by renting them out at a reasonable rate.
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is what certain companies did in the 1800's and 1900's where whole towns were owned by corporations. Is that where we want to go to today ?

Another reason property are also sky high is due to the low interest rates set by the governments round the world. Rent prices didn't rise much, but for any given rent, it meant property prices could go MUCH HIGHER to enable a buy-to-letter to break even, which is what happened.

If a job requires you to travel to say a hospital in Central London as a nurse, then "affordable housing" means traveling HOURS every day. Is that fair or sustainable ?

I am TOTALLY for governments building affordable & social housing, but the government (since Maggie's days) has been selling off houses.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not bothered who owns the building I live in. the law protects me and my rent - so it's not an issue.

Buy-to-let people are the real issue - they want to get rich quick and will artificially inflate the prices in certain areas so they can line their own pockets. Individual wankers like you see on those daily property shows on tv who I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These buy-to-letters should get their fingers burnt (like they did in 1988 - 1992 property crash), but this "Labour" government seems to keep letting them off the hook, and keeps rewarding these people by reducing interest rates at the slightest sign of a "slowdown", by bailing out the Northern Rock which meant banks felt safer in carrying on lending money to people who can't afford it, by reducing taxation (such as the recent changes in Inheritance taxes and capital gains taxes which reduces tax to 18%), and keeping the top rate of income tax at 40% (with many allowances for buy-to-let and holiday home lets).

And when inflation takes off, they keep wages low and refuse to roll back the anti-strike laws.

By the way, it does bother me who owns the building I am in. There are some really bad landlords out there which the law can not keep up with. The law isn't much help if you get "invited" to leave (possibly with a small "treat" .. or a "trick" if you refuse)
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private landlords/buy to let owners are the main problem - they want to make money and don't care how they do it. It might take a few years (depending on your situation) to get on a housing association list, but it's well worth it.
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in social housing, so you are not disagreeing on that. But Private landlords/buy to let owners are not the main problem which causes house prices to rise. This would have happened even if most were owner occupiers. What causes house prices to rise are low interest rates, the availability of credit, demand pull from people with lots of money (such as from overseas or city multi-millionaires), and low taxation of income and capital gains.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's people wanting to get higher up the mythical social ladder that I'm talking about. Scrabbling away like rats their selfish insecurities revolving around the idea of riches being important.

I've not got any money or property, but I still feel wealthier than them.
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I've not got any money or property, but I still feel wealthier than them.

Might not just be a feeling. You probably are : There is a big rise in the number of bankruptcies, voluntary arrangements (which are effectively bankruptcy), and mortgage delinquencies. The recent rise in credit card debt (as opposed to mortgage debt) is another bad omen for the future.

Recall the expression "negative equity" .. having a mortgage which is bigger than the value of the home in which you live.
t.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:

Another reason to care is that, as George Galloway has said on air, one of the reasons property prices are so high in the UK are non-domiciled overseas buyers who pay very little UK tax. For the sake of the people who can't afford today's huge property prices, you SHOULD care who is driving the prices of property to such high levels.

Surely you must care that workers can afford the cost of housing ?

well said
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: