How safe are Tasers ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: How safe are Tasers ? Reply with quote

Flight passenger dies after Taser shock - 16th casualty in Canada
Oct 15, 2007, 13:51 GMT
www.monstersandcritics.com

New York/Vancouver - A passenger died in Vancouver airport after police tried to calm him by using a stun gun, it was reported Monday. He was stunned twice by an electric shock from a Taser before he passed out and died in the arrivals area shortly afterwards, Canadian newspaper Globe and Mail reported. The man, yet to be identified, had pounded on windows, tossed chairs about and tipped over his baggage cart.

According to the newspaper, the man, who is believed to be an Eastern European in his 40s, is already the 16th victim in Canada who has died after the use of the controversial shock device. All of the victims were comparably young, between 28 and 44 years old.

The newspaper cited Vancouver lawyer Cameron Ward as saying that more than 300 people in North America have died since 2003 after they were stunned by a Taser. Ward criticized the fact that the gun generating a 50,000-volt electrical charge had been introduced in Canada without any independent safety testing and demanded it should not be used any more.

The police have not yet released the identity of the man, who had arrived in Vancouver shortly before the incident.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about that this morning and was ashamed it happened on Canadian soil. If the police had shot him with a service revolver, I think they would've been lambasted in the press for using excessive force. But because they chose a so-called non-lethal weapon, I've seen no criticism.

I think as far as the rules governing Police' use of force, tasers should be considered deadly weapons, since all too often that's exactly what they are.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of the student tasered multiple times for asking Gore some awkward questions (and that was AFTER he was under restraint).

I thought police were trained how to restrain someone using truncheons or physically tackling them.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the police are supposed to be tasered (at least in NM) before they can even carry one. That is part of the requirements. Same thing for pepper spray.

Cops have even gotten in trouble for physically restraining people. I for one am CPI trained and certified and I was glad I never had to use it because lawsuits abound when you do. And even with restraining people sometimes get killed.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe in this age of advanced science that the police don't have some chemical or injection which can knock out someone like this (even if it takes 10 seconds to 30 seconds to have an impact). Surely this is safer than a taser.

I am thinking about tranqualiser darts. Everything is dangerous, but I wonder if these would be safer than a taser.
luke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
Reminds me of the student tasered multiple times for asking Gore some awkward questions (and that was AFTER he was under restraint).

I thought police were trained how to restrain someone using truncheons or physically tackling them.

that was john kerry - http://www.gregpalast.com/student-tasered-for-armed-madhouse-question-to-kerry/

unless theres been another incident!
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the one Luke. (I meant Kerry, not Gore)

You can see a video of the incident on :
http://www.spiderednews.com/BushAdministration.htm?vid=168020
misslisalynn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that most police forces are understaffed and overwhelmed with the rise in crime but to use a taser seems like cruel and unusual punishment, especially in the case of the college student but having a relative in the NYPD walking the beat in the Bronx at night I worry, even more so now that 2 NH officers were killed for nothing but doing their jobs. Tasers could be ok with proper training on when it's appropriate to use them.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
I can't believe in this age of advanced science that the police don't have some chemical or injection which can knock out someone like this (even if it takes 10 seconds to 30 seconds to have an impact). Surely this is safer than a taser.

I am thinking about tranqualiser darts. Everything is dangerous, but I wonder if these would be safer than a taser.

I think you would have even more problems with injections because of body weight, allergies, etc.

The problem is, like you say, there is always going to be a risk.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From http://siliconvalleydebug.com/story/100107/stories/wakeforest.html

Quote:

Wake Forest Taser Study Ignores the Elephant in the Room, 294 Dead and Counting

Taser Experts and Civil Rights Leaders Say Study is Disconnected from Reality

SAN JOSE, CA – A recent study on Tasers lead by Wake Forest University Medical School gives a false sense of safety to a proven dangerous, and at times lethal, weapon, says Bay Area activists. Community leaders and civil rights advocates are condemning the study as insufficient, misleading, and not truly independent of law enforcement bias.

The study, presented at the American College of Emergency Physicians' Scientific Assembly in Seattle on October 8th, 2007 has been touted by Taser advocates as evidence of safety, yet further examination of the study leaves more questions than answers.

Nationally recognized Taser expert Aram James of the Coalition for Justice and Accountability (CJA) says, “The study concludes -- without supporting data -- that Tasers reduce injuries to both police and the individuals Tasered. But the authors, offer no systematic data to support this conclusion.” James says that actually the study's own data belies their own conclusion of safety. The abstract reported 23% of 597 subjects received some sort of injury. “Nearly 1 in 4, hardly support for the proposition that Tasers are safe -- and when coupled with 293 taser related deaths, a statistic conveniently ignored by the authors of this study, the conclusion that Tasers are safe is not only not true but in fact a lie of deadly proportions.”

Richard Konda, Executive Director of the Asian Law Alliance and CJA co-founder, says the study ignores the reality that some populations are at higher risk when Tased. “The study fails to mention the effect of Tasers on vulnerable populations, such as pregnant women, the elderly, the mentally ill, and those under the influence of drugs, who are far more likely to suffer serious injuries and even death as a result of being Tasered.” Konda, who's organization is supporting a ban of Tasers, says the evidence of the deadly effects of Tasers is already being acknowledged by law enforcement communities. He says, “Medical remedies to prevent death are being developed because Tasers kill. In Miami emergency medical technicians are spraying a sedative in the noses of Tasers victims or inject them with iced saline solutions. These protocols lead us to only one conclusion – that Tasers are deadly weapons and must be banned.”

Indeed, Noreen Salinas, eldest daughter of Steve Salinas, who died after being repeatedly Tased by San Jose Police, is appalled by the study's disconnect from the real life impacts of Tasers on families. “How can anyone try to make a claim that Tasers are safe, when it has taken a father from his daughters, a son from his mother?” The Santa Clara County Coroner's office have sited Taser discharge as a potential contributing factor to the death of Steve Salinas.

James says the reason why the study does not appear to be independent is because it was, essentially, a law enforcement report, and points to several red flags. “First, it was conducted at six law enforcement agencies across the country, interestingly enough not disclosed. Why the secrecy? Secondly, the underlying police reports and any accompanying medical records were reviewed by ‘tactical physicians' who are closely connected to a law enforcement agenda. Finally, not mentioned any where in the press release related to this study is the companion piece put out by the Wake Forest Physicians Group. In a study dated September 4, 2007 -- the same doctors credited with the above study -- reported on a police officer who after volunteering to receive a 5 second Taser exposure, under very controlled circumstance, was Tased for 5 seconds and suffered a very serious and apparently permanently debilitating thoracic compression fracture. Why was this piece buried by the good doctors? So much for Tasers being a low risk of injury weapon. If there unsafe for the cops there unsafe for us!”

James, CJA, along with other civil rights advocates, are demanding a truly independent study, and are calling for law enforcement agencies to shelve Tasers until an authentic and comprehensive investigation of its use is conducted.

luke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Officer injured in Taser demonstration

A roll-out of Taser for non-firearms-trained Met officers has been postponed after the Metropolitan Police Authority (MPA) vetoed the plan.

A police officer in the US who volunteered to be the subject of a Taser demonstration has suffered possibly lasting damage, including spine fractures after receiving a five-second discharge, according to a respected medical journal.

The 38-year-old victim was rushed by ambulance to hospital where a scan showed he suffered compression fractures in his spine caused by muscle spasms triggered by being Tasered in a training class.

Nine weeks after his injury he has continued to report significant pain.

The officer's doctor, James Winslow, MD, of Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, North Carolina said: 'In this case, the pain continued for a long time, leading the patient to reduce his work hours significantly.'

The case has now entered medical literature after being written up in the eminent American College of Emergency Physicians journal which released the details.

Supt Charlie Hill, staff officer to the ACPO police use of firearms working group, said the case underlined the need to move with caution until more can be discovered about the potential side effects of using Tasers.

from http://www.janes.com/news/lawenforcement/pr/pr071011_1_n.shtml
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Luke
luke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tasers a form of torture, says UN

TASER electronic stun guns are a form of torture that can kill, a UN committee has declared after several recent deaths in North America.

"The use of these weapons causes acute pain, constituting a form of torture,'' the UN's Committee against Torture said.

"In certain cases, they can even cause death, as has been shown by reliable studies and recent real-life events,'' the committee of 10 experts said.

Three men, all in their early 20s, were reported to have died in the United States this week, days after a Polish man died at Vancouver airport after being Tasered by Canadian police.

The man, Robert Dziekanski, 40, fell to the ground and died after the police officers piled on top of him.

There have been three deaths in Canada after the use of Tasers over the past five weeks.

The company that makes the weapons has said that similar deaths have been shown by "medical science and forensic analysis'' to be "attributable to other factors and not the low-energy electrical discharge of the Taser".

The UN committee made its comments in recommendations to Portugal, which has bought the newest Taser X26 stun gun for use by police.

Portugal "should consider giving up the use of the Taser X26,'' as its use can have a grave physical and mental impact on those targeted, which violates the UN's Convention against Torture, the experts said.

from http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22814674-5001028,00.html?from=public_rss
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see if Portugal, with its pretty sketchy history regarding human rights, decides to follow the UN advice.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find Luke. This solidifies my opposition to the Taser .. it is torture .. which is supposed to be illegal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: