Random Lies and Libel Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Random Lies and Libel Thread Reply with quote

I keep noticing random lies and misconceptions about George in newspaper articles, so I thought I'd start a thread to keep a track of the perpetrators for the amusement or annoyance of the masses.

How's about this for a starter?

Daily Mail
13 October 2007
Excerpt from "Do you fink I'm stupid? Chantelle shows what it takes to make a million as a reality TV star"
- by Jenny Johnston

" [Chantelle] proffers a comment made by fellow housemate George Galloway - to whom she said, incidentally, on hearing he was an MP, "does that mean you work in the big room with the green seats?"

"What was it George said about me?" she tries to remember. "He said I wasn't as stupid as everybody thought. I was sharp as a something - a tack? Yes, a tack!"

Nice try, Chantelle, but it won't do. George Galloway thought Saddam Hussein was a very nice man.
"
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that myself yesterday - it is a statement that's suggesting fact, so I'm sure there would be room to do soemthing about it.
luke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should email her kate
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I saw that myself yesterday - it is a statement that's suggesting fact, so I'm sure there would be room to do soemthing about it.

Tell me about it! In my estimation, that particular misconception about George is the one that's most potentially damaging, and I suppose that's exactly why certain newspaper editors allow its ad nauseum repetition so that it drips into the public conscience and becomes widely accepted as fact.

It's astonishing, too, when you consider what loose reason it's based on. The only evidence people ever offer to corroborate it is one sentence George spoke when addressing Saddam Hussein when he was in Baghdad to try and raise awareness of the damaging sanctions ("Sir, I salute..." etc.)

Every single other time George has spoken about Saddam (and considering how regular his public speeches are this must amount to literally hundreds of hours worth of rhetoric on the topic) he has denounced the man utterly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: