Galloway confirms Poplar candidacy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Galloway confirms Poplar candidacy Reply with quote

George Galloway seeks Poplar nomination
Posted on October 2, 2007 by Liam

Dear Comrades,

I have been reflecting on the unanimous vote, moved by Jeannie Robinson, at last Saturday’s National Council meeting asking me to reconsider my decision of seven days previously to withdraw from the selection process for the Poplar and Limehouse seat. I found that vote very encouraging, particularly coming as it did after many members and supporters from Tower Hamlets and nationally had prevailed upon me also to reconsider. Since Saturday more members have got in touch with the same message.

I have been swayed especially by the argument that my standing will increase the chances of not only taking the Poplar seat, but of us holding on to the Bethnal Green seat – the two together presenting a major challenge but an historic prize. Comrades in Birmingham and elsewhere in the country also say that my candidature would help them.

It is on that basis – and following the expression of the National Council’s unanimous opinion – that I have decided to let my name go forward to seek the nomination for Poplar and Limehouse.

There is now a likelihood that we will be in a full-blown general election campaign by the middle of next week. If so, all my energies will be devoted to securing a further historic breakthrough for Respect. I’m sure that will also be the case for every single member and supporter.

In solidarity and looking forward to the battle,

GG

SOURCE
DJJA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did he decide to withdraw?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess it was all down to those internal problems that were leaked a few weeks back.
popinjay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jimmy Fitz has any sense, he'll ignore Galloway as much as possible. I don't think he'd go down the Oona King road of debating him. Plus, there seems to be a media conspiracy to ignore Galloway. I think GG is going into this as the underdog. I hope he doesn't lose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: