Anthony Wilson dies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Anthony Wilson dies Reply with quote

This is sad news for sure - I was one of the few (million) who really started to appreciate what he'd done in the mid 80s and onwards. I was a huge fan of New Order (and their many remixes) and Happy Mondays, though I only ever liked 'Love will Tear Us Apart' from Joy Division.

If you've got any handy links to tunes that he helped promote then post away...
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats a bit of a shock I didn't know he was sick , I knew him reasonably well many years ago as we also had a few friends in common I mentioned in a thread a couple of days ago that Steve Coogan had nailed his strange personality perfectly in '24 hour party people' , he was 'strange' but then a lot of very clever people are . I guess if you are not from the UK or are not old enough to remember you would wonder who is he , He was a local news reporter for Granada in Manchester who managed to get his own show called 'so it goes' this show was for 3 years the only place on tv showing punk and other new music , he pushed so many bands that otherwise would possibly never have been heard of, with out a dought he helped change music world wide in the mid/late 70s. Then he started Factory records who had bands like new order , happy mondays and more , this again was a new strain of music that influenced so many bands of today. He then opened the Hacienda a nightclub in Manchester (He asked me once to work the door but I refused because the place was so dead I would been bored out of my mind), it was a dismal failure, until he had the idea of promoting what he thought would be the next big thing , the concept that the DJ was an artist and that people would come to see the artist perform and from that another new idea that he would not sell alcohol in the club enabling it to beat the licencing laws an stay open all night, so now young people didn't have to go home they could party all night all weekend , these 2 little ideas are now how young people party around the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: