Edited or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you prefer shows with the ads included?
yes
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
no
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 10

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Edited or not? Reply with quote

I heard a call on a show last week where someone complained that the adverts from the Galloway shows on Spidered News were missing the adverts... Now, as most of you know, I spend a fair bit of time editing the files to get rid of the extra crap that means nothing (unless you really do want a talkSPORT prepaid debit card, of course) and as a listener I personally much prefer not having to hear such stuff.

Anyway, the point of this thread is as the poll suggests - would you rather hear the ads or not?
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I prefer the show to be 2 hours (no adverts) rather than 3 hours (with adverts).

One issue is that I sometimes record the chat GG has with the prior presenter (usually around 9:45), though this means the start time isn't fixed, and I then pause the recording after this chat till GG is on properly.

The issue is whether it is worthwhile for faceless to do this editing (i.e. to save the listener time).

Actually, from an advertiser's viewpoint, I think the adverts would be a plus .. as such, since ultimately the adverts pay for GG to do the show, I am now veering that the public version should have ads, and the private CT version should be ad-free.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is about whether people who listen would prefer to hear adverts or not... that's all.
popinjay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like ads.
luke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i much prefer listening to the show without ads, i sometimes listen to the archive instead of the live show just so i don't have to listen to them - talksport has way to many ad breaks

seems weird that someone would complain that the adverts were missing?!
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably guess from my small contributions that I'm not a fan of ads, traffic & weather, sports updates or even the "chat" he has near the end of most episodes with the host(s) of the up-coming show. I feel they detract from the show, and certainly from my own listening enjoyment. I edit this stuff out before listening and if I later notice any ads I'd missed, go back and chop those out too. Picky, huh?

The ads for the pre-paid debit card and "how would you like to win a big-screen high-definition television" reverse auctions are especially tricky buggers to find, since they often fall in between calls and don't show up in Audacity with the tell-tale blaring-loud sonograph (if that's the correct term).
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see your 'hi-def tv' sonograph and raise you a latest cricket score...

Laughing
major.tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:

It could be a case of hidden agendas. If I was paying for adverts on talkSPORT, I'd probably want to maximize my listenership and would complain about versions of the show that excluded my ads. Since I'm not an advertiser, I listen to the show for GG and lively debate -- not as a mindless consumer.

I think it was Chomsky who said that the media aren't in the business of delivering programming/news to their audience; they're in the business of delivering an audience to their advertisers. But I'm going off on a tangent. (Sorry Faceless.)
major.tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I'll see your 'hi-def tv' sonograph and raise you a latest cricket score...

Laughing

Thank goodness for the sonograph. It makes spotting most commercials a cynch.
harry perkins

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ads, but please keep the music, its part of the experience. I was away on crooners weekend and would have liked to hear the crooners.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

major.tom wrote:
luke wrote:

It could be a case of hidden agendas. If I was paying for adverts on talkSPORT, I'd probably want to maximize my listenership and would complain about versions of the show that excluded my ads.

That's what I was thinking .... he was an advertiser himself.

p.s. I voted no .. so I wonder who was the person who voted yes, they want ads. Would be interesting to see why.
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind either way. If you uploaded them with the adverts and news included they would be online faster and it would save you a bunch of editing work. Plus, who can't just skip forward 2 minutes with a single click of the mouse anyway?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they wouldn't be online quicker because the files are at least 1/3 larger with the ads - meaning it would also take that much longer to downlaod. I do the editing as the show is playing live, so that's not an issue.

Personally I don't want to be clicking FF every few minutes, which is the reason why I've always got rid of the ads.
Ash

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ads please... sometimes, i listen to them on my way to university or while trying to sleep...those ads really wind me up...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: