America's Fattest People

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: America's Fattest People Reply with quote

pasta
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The states with the most deep fried foods...hmmmmm Laughing It is a growing problem really and while we were in the UK we noticed that there are more heavy people there then just two years ago. We also found out that a lot of the obesity problems started in the states with the introduction of high fructose corn syrup into most of our foods (even breads). We did look at ingredients and it was interesting to see that Coke over there doesn't even contain high fructose corn syrup but instead just regular sugar. Which would explain the different taste.
I'm a pretty big label reader so I'm going to pay attention even more now.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should say that Skylace. I went to Norway and some friends were serving Coke. I truly never drink coke because it's like drinking liquid crack to me. It's got so much sugar in makes me ill. Well, I figured I don't want to be a picky guest so I had a glass of their coke. What a difference in taste! Not over sugary at all! This is why I drink Pepsi here in the U.S. True about down south. They have a lot of fried dishes. My friend from North Carolina says the locals put some sort of salt pork in everything they boil. I see BBQ joints everywhere down in Florida. Also, fast food is so readily available here, it's overkill. Also, the diners and restaurants gikve way too large portions. Can't fit the main meal in once one gets done with the bread, appetizer, salad, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it strange that there's a fairly clear pattern to the growth. Like a virus infects a petri dish almost - well done to the plucky Coloradians for holding out so long. It really is quite shocking that so many states have at least 25% of the population obese though. I might start buying into companies that sell diabetes treatments... once I can afford the bus-fare into town to visit my stockbroker! haha
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I once heard, that made me really think, was the notion that people in places like America, where so many people are fat, the type of woman they idolise is a thin woman. Wheras in places like Africa, where poverty has been a big thing, they tend to fancy plump women...

Do you think there's a connection?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In those cases I think the controlling factor would be control and power (over the body).

Scotland has a higher percentage of obese teenagers than America (as a whole) now - it's good to be champions at something!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
Something I once heard, that made me really think, was the notion that people in places like America, where so many people are fat, the type of woman they idolise is a thin woman. Wheras in places like Africa, where poverty has been a big thing, they tend to fancy plump women...

Do you think there's a connection?

I don't know, but I might move....
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's disgusting how US foods have been inundated with high fructose corn syrup in just about everything! When I lived in Australia, I used to snack on Pizza and BBQ-flavoured Arnott's Shapes (crackers or biscuits, whatever!) and never gained any weight. It was until I moved back stateside & I purchased a supply over the Internet & read the ingredients that I realised the difference was ---- no high fructose corn syrup!!

You DO have to read the labels and fork out more money on groceries by shopping at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Wild Oats, etc.

Now, when it comes to fried foods, OY! there's another weakness.....................
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like anything else you have to be aware of what crap you put into yourself. It doesn't help that gaming systems are the norm ... I am the MEANEST mom because I REFUSE to get x-box or any such nonsense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: