Bob Geldof does life-threatening u-turn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Bob Geldof does life-threatening u-turn Reply with quote

Geldof involved in motorcyclist crash
Thursday, July 26 2007
By Alex Fletcher

Sir Bob Geldof was involved in a road accident last night, crashing into a motorcyclist on his way back from a preview screening of The Simpsons Movie. The Live Aid creator hit a 39-year-old biker while doing a U-turn in his silver Lexus, say reports in the Daily Mirror.

Geldof stayed with the rider until the paramedics arrived to treat him for knee and groin injuries. The Boomtown Rats singer said: "Thank God he's fine. Thank God again. The main thing is he's OK. He had all his bike gear on which probably stopped a lot of damage. I was speaking to him and told him to lie still. The paramedics came and checked him. There's nothing broken which surprised me. I'm so glad."

-----------------

what an idiot - maybe next time he'll use his bloody eyes! The other day I was cycling behind a bloke in his 60s and saw how a driver nearly drove him off the road, then wound down his window and shouted abuse at him. Strangely, he wound his window back up and went very silent after I cycled up, kicked his door and threw a fair lungful of abuse at him.

nyer
Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a number of recent incidents where motorists have been sent to jail for accidents.

I am not excusing them [since they would have been convicted of dangerous driving], but they might have had a lapse of concentration. Since jails are full, other serious criminals are being let out early in order to house motorists.

Is it also "fair" that someone who might have had a clean record to have his life ruined over a small lapse of concentration ?

I am of-course v. sad for anyone injured or even dying, but take two incidents : Both identical, with a bus driver being distracted (e.g. by turning round and swearing at someone who just cut him up). One incident he ploughs into a bus stop killing a few people, and in another he just hits the bus stop but no-one was injured. Should the sentence be lighter because out of sheer luck he didn't injure someone ?

This might be a philosophical argument as to what prison / punishment is for : Punishment for an act of a person (in which case the sentence should be the same), or Revenge (in which case the sentence for killing would be more). This is not the same issue as civil damages, where the amount the insurance company pays is dependent on the damage / injuries / death caused.
nekokate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As he was driving back from a preview of The Simpsons Movie? The self-satisfied tosser was probably distracting himself by singing "Geldof, Bobby Geldof, he's the greatest guy in his-to-ryyy..."
Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
As he was driving back from a preview of The Simpsons Movie? The self-satisfied tosser was probably distracting himself by singing "Geldof, Bobby Geldof, he's the greatest guy in his-to-ryyy..."

Wasn't that in the flintstone moviee ?
nekokate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
nekokate wrote:

Wasn't that in the flintstone moviee ?

I'm referencing a reference. Call me post-postmodern Smile

Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE !!!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Bob accused on crash
By Allison Martin 27/07/2007

A MOTORCYCLIST seriously injured when he hit Sir Bob Geldof's car last night said: "He wasn't paying enough attention." Andrew Quinn, 39, broke his right leg in two places, splintered a knee joint and faces further surgery. He blames Sir Bob who he said did a U-turn in his Lexus to leave a queue without looking properly. The dad-of-one said: "I'm now facing surgery and injuries that may be with me the rest of my life. And it's all because he didn't pay enough attention when he pulled out."

Sir Bob, 55, who got stuck in traffic in Chelsea after seeing a preview of The Simpsons with daughters Pixie, 16, and Tiger Lilly, 11 insisted he was not to blame. Sir Bob said he tried to call Andrew, of Midhurst, West Sussex, yesterday. He said: "I'm shocked that his injuries are a lot worse than I was first told. It was just an accident - I'm loathe to blame anybody. I regret it happened and I feel very sorry for him. I am happy I did nothing wrong."

-----------------

He did nothing wrong? Well how come a bike crashed into him then! Does charity really begin at home Bob, you lying bastard?

I can picture the scene now, the biker was probably passing the line of traffic when suddenly a twat in a lexus pulled out because he was so impatient. The fact that he didn't want to wait in the queue suggests that he had lost patience with the situation and also that he was more than likely uncaring about the effect of his actions. The scruffy negligent bastard!

Here's hoping the biker isn't permanently injured.
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Geldoff was a boxer from a minority community, then he would probably be in jail by now.

The police don't throw the book at "prestigious" members of the establishment.
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how Geldorf reiterates that he is innocent in every sentence pretty much! Sounds like a guilty man to me!!
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Geldorf has been using his mobile phone ?

I recently read that the Police now routinely check mobile phone calls after serious accidents. Would love to know if the did do a check, or presumably took Sir Geldorf's word for it that he hadn't used the phone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: