Diane from Finchley
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Diane from Finchley Reply with quote

Well my previous support of Diane collapsed tonight when she said all that stuff about having tape-recorded voices played into her head... the poor woman clearly is paranoid schizophrenic. Shame. I reckon Galloway should have recognised that earlier and ended the call.
nekokate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said she was mad from her very first call...

If only you'd listened to me, 655,000 people would still be... oh, wait, that's something else...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well yeah, but there's good mad and bad mad. That was the first time I've heard her go into such negativity.
Colston

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with (for - care work) a guy who experiences similar attacks... he calls them shock noises and feels he is constantly under surveillance from people who have ill will towards him.

George didn't see this at all did he?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the producer is more to blame in this case - but I was surprised that Galloway didn't recognise it quicker. Also, when he later read out a joke text from someone taking the piss out of her I wasn't impressed in the slightest.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think at the end of Friday's show, George did say something like he feared Diana might be in a mental category (it was in reply to a caller).

That could be the texter which faceless mentioned
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP PRESS .. DIANE on the air now !!!!!

She admits she sees a Psychiatrist.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she's on now again...
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's back on the air right now as I type. I think it would be a good idea if George doesn't take her calls anymore - I don't like the idea that people are undoubtedly laughing their arses off at someone who is clearly metally ill.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
She's back on the air right now as I type. I think it would be a good idea if George doesn't take her calls anymore - I don't like the idea that people are undoubtedly laughing their arses off at someone who is clearly mentally ill.

I don't agree with excluding her. I don't laugh at what she says, and I think a national platform (and some fans who do like Diane) might be good for Diane.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason she should have been blocked last night is for her own sake. When she returns to her form of clarity she will likely be very embarassed by allowing herself to say such things in public and that's why the producers should have headed her off. When I worked as a bouncer it was the same job - and even though I looked in people's eyes to judge their condition a few quick questions would do the same thing.

'How are you today Diane?'
'Well I'm phoning to talk about the tape-recorded voices being played directly into my brain'
'Ok, but that's not really part of the show tonight, do you fancy calling back tomorrow?'

sorted.
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
The reason she should have been blocked last night is for her own sake. When she returns to her form of clarity she will likely be very embarassed by allowing herself to say such things in public and that's why the producers should have headed her off. When I worked as a bouncer it was the same job - and even though I looked in people's eyes to judge their condition a few quick questions would do the same thing.

'How are you today Diane?'
'Well I'm phoning to talk about the tape-recorded voices being played directly into my brain'
'Ok, but that's not really part of the show tonight, do you fancy calling back tomorrow?'

sorted.

The problem is that she said all this on air, after George pressed her about it. She probably didn't tell his call-vetting staff that she was going to say it, so how could they have known?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, they should have asked, people are held on the line for a good while after all.

I'm wondering if they didn't ask simply because they know that in general her stuff is perhaps off-the-wall rather than being disturbed. But that's no excuse.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just listened to today's show, and I think Diane referred to her psychiatrist partner.

I agree she should be excluded, if only because when people have delusions, it doesn't do them any service to lend them credence, which I believe (repeatedly!) giving her airtime does.

She had the gumption (or "bottle," as GG often says) to re-state a position that caused GG to put down the phone on her in a rather spectacular manner the last time: that there are no longer any wars. GG handled it a bit better this time, though you could sense the frustration in his voice.
popinjay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard the show yet, so forgive my ignorance, but how was what she said (and I'm choosing my words carefully here) anymore unlikely than what a lot of people believe when it comes to spirituality? She doesn't seem like the type to cause any harm to herself or others, and if she's happy I say we leave her to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: