Should be wiped off the map?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nico

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Should be wiped off the map? Reply with quote

Iran's Jews spurn cash lure to emigrate to Israel
Article from Guardian 13-07-2007

Robert Tait in Tehran
Friday July 13, 2007
The Guardian

Iran's Jews have given the country a loyalty pledge in the face of cash offers aimed at encouraging them to move to Israel, the arch-enemy of its Islamic rulers.
The incentives - ranging from £5,000 a person to £30,000 for families - were offered from a special fund established by wealthy expatriate Jews in an effort to prompt a mass migration to Israel among Iran's 25,000-strong Jewish community. The offers were made with Israel's official blessing and were additional to the usual state packages it provides to Jews emigrating from the diaspora.

However, the Society of Iranian Jews dismissed them as "immature political enticements" and said their national identity was not for sale.
"The identity of Iranian Jews is not tradable for any amount of money," the society said in a statement. "Iranian Jews are among the most ancient Iranians. Iran's Jews love their Iranian identity and their culture, so threats and this immature political enticement will not achieve their aim of wiping out the identity of Iranian Jews."

The Israeli newspaper Ma'ariv reported that the incentives had been doubled after offers of £2,500 a head failed to attract any Iranian Jews to leave for Israel.

Iran's sole Jewish MP, Morris Motamed, said the offers were insulting and put the country's Jews under pressure to prove their loyalty. "It suggests the Iranian Jew can be encouraged to emigrate by money," he said. "Iran's Jews have always been free to emigrate and three-quarters of them did so after the revolution but 70% of those went to America, not Israel."

Iran's Jewish population has dwindled from about 80,000 at the time of the 1979 Islamic revolution but remains the largest of any country in the Middle East apart from Israel. Jews have lived in Iran since at least 700BC.

Hostility between Iran's government and Israel means Iranian Jews are often subject to official mistrust and scrutiny.

Now, this is a good blow to all those who think the Iranian president really said Israel should be wiped off the map.Confused
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wiped off the map? Reply with quote

nico wrote:
Now, this is a good blow to all those who think the Iranian president really said Israel should be wiped off the map.[/b]Confused

Um....He did REALLY say that..........
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, he didn't. He said the bastard zionists should be.
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the middle east is so amazingly complicated it has all these factions and comunities that seem totally out of place yet all seem to get along until some meddling bastards no dought prompted by their government try to stir up trouble , if the jewish comunity is often ' subject to official mistrust and scrutiny.' it can not be that bad or large numbers would have taken the money and ran
nico

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiped off the map? Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
nico wrote:
Now, this is a good blow to all those who think the Iranian president really said Israel should be wiped off the map.[/b]Confused

No, he didn't.

He said Zionism should be wiped off the pages of history, like appartheid and communism did, which is entirely different than Israel.
As you read in the article, there are still 25000 jews living in Iran. If Iran was such a bad country why don't they leave then? Not to mention, there were 80000 before and after the revolution they all emigrated to USA and not Israel.
nico

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan1254 wrote:
it can not be that bad or large numbers would have taken the money and ran

You call 5000$ enough incentive for emigration to Israel?
I call it pittance or in fact an insult to the jewish community in Iran, even if they cared for any money.
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nico wrote:
alan1254 wrote:

I call it pittance or in fact an insult to the jewish community in Iran, even if they cared for any money.

yes but your clear inference is that this was offered by Muslim/ Iranian benefactors when it was offered by Jewish/ Zionist benefactors, you seem to be also judging this by western standards, 5k may or may not be a lot of money to these people, many people do not appreciate that Israel is in fact to all intensent purposes a third world country and 5 k may go a long way , I do not wish this in any way to sound anti- Semitic but the state of is Israel is a country not a religion
nico

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan1254 wrote:
nico wrote:
alan1254 wrote:

yes but your clear inference is that this was offered by Muslim/ Iranian benefactors when it was offered by Jewish/ Zionist benefactors, you seem to be also judging this by western standards, 5k may or may not be a lot of money to these people, many people do not appreciate that Israel is in fact to all intensent purposes a third world country and 5 k may go a long way , I do not wish this in any way to sound anti- Semitic but the state of is Israel is a country not a religion

You seem to have misunderstood me. I have no intention of inferring this was offered by Muslim/Iranian benefactors. I perfectly understand this was offered by Zionist benefactors and I certainly did not refer to Israel as a religion but a country.
To put it politely I really can't figure out what you are talking about. Confused
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry then it was my mistake , i think it was just the way you put it , it seemed like you meant that Iran had offered an insulting sum of money
Luther Blissett
Free the weed!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll move there for 5,000 dollars. Can't be much worse than south east London.

I'm happy to convert to not believing in the god of the Jews rather than not believing in the God of my parents, if it means a free sun tan.

Smile
Ash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll move over there for free

Mohammad

Laughing
luke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiped off the map? Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
nico wrote:

do you think now he didn't say that pirty, or do you think he still did?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: