John Pinette

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: John Pinette Reply with quote

Laughing
nekokate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha!! That guy is great!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was really good. I will have to look for more of his stuff.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was on Comedy Central last night. It was this entire show. I laughed so hard at some of it that I didn't think I would ever breathe again! Very funny....
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Pinette brings comedy to South Shore Music Circus
R.Scott Reedy,
GateHouse News Service
Jul 02, 2012

John Pinette might just have been one of that rare breed, the funny accountant, had he stayed on his original career path. “After I graduated from Malden Catholic High School, I went to Lowell State, before it became all fancy as the University of Massachusetts at Lowell, and got my accounting degree in 1986. I was an accountant for a few months, but I knew it wasn’t what I really wanted to do,” said Pinette by telephone from his home in suburban Philadelphia last week. “Luckily for me, Boston had a huge comedy scene in those days. I worked everywhere I could, with people like Denis Leary, from comedy clubs to some pretty scary bars in New Hampshire. One of us would always be sure to start the car in the parking lot so we could take off as soon as the last one finished his set. Even the nightmare spots weren’t that bad, though, because the people were just happy you came by.”

Pinette, 48, has been making people happy – and doing his own taxes – for 25 years. He brings his family-friendly comedy, including riffs on everyday frustrations like the lines at fast food restaurants, to the South Shore Music Circus in Cohasset on Friday and the Cape Cod Melody Tent in Hyannis on Saturday, but his big break as a stand-up comic came when he was asked to open for Frank Sinatra. Pinette found touring with the legendary singer to be very different from some of his other early experiences.

“When you were on the road with Sinatra, everything was better. I did maybe three shows with him, on stage for maybe 12 minutes, and I thought that would be it. He liked to have drinks and a nice meal after the show, and one night I was invited to go to dinner with him, which was very rare for an opening act. He treated me very well, like family, and before he walked to his limousine he said ‘I’ll see you again.’ And just like that, I was booked for more shows including opening for him in Las Vegas. Sinatra had a very large team around him, including an executive house keeper – I always thought that was just wild.” Sinatra’s personal staffing levels, however, were never as interesting as the man himself. “You never had to ask Frank Sinatra questions, either, you just had to listen. He told the most amazing stories.”

In addition to his stand-up gigs, Comedy Central television specials, a pivotal part in the penultimate “Seinfeld,” and roles in films like “Duets” with Gwyneth Paltrow, “Dear God” with Greg Kinnear,” and “Junior” with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Pinette developed a few show business stories of his own while playing the role of Edna Turnblad in the musical “Hairspray,” on national tour and then on Broadway. Played by Divine in the 1988 John Waters film of the same name and originated on stage by Harvey Fierstein, the drag role calls for a plus-sized performer who can give a plus-sized performance.

“Before I did Broadway, I would have said that I was the happiest when I was doing stand-up, but being in a musical eight shows a week is just a whole different experience. Fortunately, that gig fed off my stand-up work and also my acting experience. I had done all the hell gigs by the time I made it to Broadway, too, so I knew how lucky I was to be there.”

Even if it meant wearing heels, not to mention some form-fitting gowns. “It helped a lot that my dresser on Broadway was a drag queen. After about the third week, I was like Liza Minnelli up on that stage every night.”
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Pinette found dead
themoderatevoice.com
4th April 2014

The comedian, known for his stand-up career and an appearance in the “Seinfeld” series finale, was found dead in a Pittsburgh hotel room on Saturday, according to reports. He was 50. No cause of death has been released yet, though he was suffering from liver and heart disease, according to several outlets. Authorities have no suspicion of foul play at this time.

Along with his appearance as a carjacking victim in “Seinfeld,” his other credits include “Junior” (1994), “The Punisher” (2004) and “The Last Godfather.” (2010) His last hourlong stand-up special was 2011?s “Still Hungry.” The comedian was known for often poking fun at himself, and he was noted in the comedy world for his self-deprecating style.

-----------------------

that's a shame, he really did bring the laughs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Comedy News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: