early day motion for engagement with hamas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: early day motion for engagement with hamas Reply with quote

Quote:
'... a group of UK MPs called for international engagement with Hamas.

Twenty MPs from all parties signed a motion in the House of Commons calling for a new relationship with the group following its role in securing the journalist's release.

The motion said international support for Mr Abbas should not preclude contact with Hamas'.

Quote:
1841 RELEASE OF ALAN JOHNSTON 4:7:07

Richard Burden
John Austin
Mr Crispin Blunt
John Barrett
Dr Phyllis Starkey
Mr Mohammad Sarwar
David Lepper
Bob Russell
Dr Ian Gibson
Ms Diane Abbott
Keith Vaz
Mr Clive Betts
Dr Brian Iddon
Mr Greg Pope
Mr Gordon Prentice
Janet Anderson
Mr Alex Salmond
Mark Lazarowicz
Emily Thornberry
Mr Jim Devine

That this House welcomes the release unharmed of Alan Johnston from captivity in Gaza; pays tribute to his integrity and courage, to the dignity shown by his parents throughout their ordeal, to Alan's friends and colleagues at the BBC for pursuing every avenue they could to secure Alan's release, to Foreign Office staff for their efforts, to the hundreds of thousands of people worldwide who have expressed their support for Alan and to the Palestinians themselves; notes particularly that Alan Johnston himself has acknowledged the pivotal role played by Hamas in condemning the kidnapping and securing his release; believes that this shows why the international community's support for Mahmoud Abbas as the legitimate President of Palestine should not preclude contact with Hamas, why the Quartet should support the reconciliation between different Palestinian parties that will be crucial to a successful peace process between Israel and Palestine and why this is further evidence that peace can result from discussions between enemies as well and friends.

surprised galloway hasn't signed this ... Confused

they should have been talking to hamas since last year! Mad
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: early day motion for engagement with hamas Reply with quote

luke wrote:
surprised galloway hasn't signed this ... Confused

I believe George did sign it.

Luke : What's your source URL, and I will then check the Parliamentary records (can be done online & for free)
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=33685&SESSION=885
lists the 39 names below (i.e. more than the 20 from original list .. maybe that was initial signatories) :

Abbott, Diane
Anderson, Janet
Atkins, Charlotte
Austin, John
Barrett, John
Betts, Clive
Blunt, Crispin
Bottomley, Peter
Brooke, Annette
Burden, Richard
Cable, Vincent
Clelland, David
Clwyd, Ann
Conway, Derek
Devine, Jim
Dobbin, Jim
Drew, David
George, Andrew
Gibson, Ian
Hopkins, Kelvin
Iddon, Brian
Jenkins, Brian
Jones, Lynne
Lazarowicz, Mark
Lepper, David
McCafferty, Chris
Meale, Alan
Morgan, Julie
Murphy, Paul
Pope, Greg
Prentice, Gordon
Russell, Bob
Salmond, Alex
Sarwar, Mohammad
Soames, Nicholas
Starkey, Phyllis
Thornberry, Emily
Turner, Desmond
Vaz, Keith

I wonder if there is a distinction between "signing it in advance" (e.g. initial 20), and signing it later and/or voting for it on the day .. i.e. I think issue is to get a list of who voted for it.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandy wrote:
What's your source URL, and I will then check the Parliamentary records (can be done online & for free)

i got it from here

Mandy wrote:
lists the 39 names below (i.e. more than the 20 from original list .. maybe that was initial signatories) :

i'm confused now Laughing

he's still not on that bigger list though ... i bet it won't make a difference to the governments stance towards hamas anyway ... i don't really know how these early day motions work
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
he's still not on that bigger list though ... i bet it won't make a difference to the governments stance towards hamas anyway ... i don't really know how these early day motions work

I don't, but the link you provided was v. useful since the header had some interesting info :
------------------------------------------------------------
Notices of Motions for which no days have been fixed
(‘Early Day Motions')
* The figure following this symbol is the total number of Members' names submitted in support of the Motion, including names printed for the first time in this paper.

After the initial printing, Motions are reprinted only when names are added or amendments are submitted; only the first six names and any names added since the last printing are listed. After the week in which a Motion is submitted and the following week, added names and amendments appear only in the paper distributed on the next Thursday. In the meantime they are available for inspection by Members in the Table Office and the Library.
------------------------------------------------------------

So no wonder I couldn't find it in the records of 4th July . and the listings aren't complete (i.e. only "only the first six names and any names added since the last printing are listed. ") .. so if, as I suspect, George signed it, it might take a while to appear ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: