ZALOUK - MOROCCAN SALAD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: ZALOUK - MOROCCAN SALAD Reply with quote

The stuff.....

2-3 green peppers (this salad can be made with eggplant instead of green peppers) i used a mix of both ...
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 small tomatoes, chopped
2 medium onions, minced
2 tsp. red pepper
2-3 Tbs. tomato paste
1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 tsp. tumeric
1/2 tsp. cumin
olive oil
drop of water if needed........

Put the green peppers on an open flame or under the broiler until the skin is burned black; put the peppers in a plastic bag rubbing briskly between the hands to remove the burned skin (if you are using eggplant instead of peppers, char them in the same manner, but simply scrape off the burned skin with a fork)

Saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium to high heat; when the onions have become soft add the peppers, and chopped eggplant ,tomatoes, red pepper and other spices; when the tomatoes are soft add the tomato paste; lower heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes

Allow to cool before serving, sprinkle with minced parsley

My cheat today was a sun dried tomato and basil hummus bought from store .....serve with warm pita bread or a crusty french loaf ....... thats the stuff in small bowls Smile

Delish....................
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another yummy recipe, Aja! I am getting hungry...well, off to the kitchen!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You come up with the most amazing recipes! I get so hungry reading your posts Smile
luke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one aja, this sounds nice Smile

what word have you missed out here though

Quote:
add the peppers, chopped ? and chopped eggplant tomatoes, red pepper and other spices
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
nice one aja, this sounds nice Smile

what word have you missed out here though

Quote:
add the peppers, chopped ? and chopped eggplant tomatoes, red pepper and other spices

cheers Luke I think I just had one to many *chopped* Very Happy

ps this is my starter for dinner tonite Smile
Ash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recipe, aja. Smile

Oh, I recommend Nan Bread (Indian subcontient style) instead of pita bread. It's softer and tastier.

Today I had proper indian chicken curry (, well I have it everyday!!) with Nan bread with lemonade. Yummy Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm...now that looks wonderful Aja. I could eat it up right now.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash wrote:

Oh, I recommend Nan Bread (Indian subcontient style) instead of pita bread. It's softer and tastier.

Today I had proper indian chicken curry (, well I have it everyday!!) with Nan bread with lemonade. Yummy Smile

yum!!! good idea never thought of that ..... and just happen to have some here as well ...YAY Smile

I must make my chicken korma soon and then i will post the recipe ..its taken mre years to get it how i want it Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
Ash wrote:

yum!!! good idea never thought of that ..... and just happen to have some here as well ...YAY Smile

I must make my chicken korma soon and then i will post the recipe ..its taken mre years to get it how i want it Smile

Chicken korma is one of my favorites! Please post that! I'm drooling already.
Ash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever come to Midland, let me know- you're always welcome to my pigeon hole. I'll cook Indian food for you. I'm not a good cook though. Laughing

I'm planning to invite some people during Eid (after the end of Ramadan, which is due to start in less than 3 months). Even better if you make during that time Smile

Idon't like Korma that much...it's too blend for me. I know a Scottish doctor who LOVES Inidian curry and his wife can't stand it. Laughing
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash wrote:
If you ever come to Midland, let me know- you're always welcome to my pigeon hole. I'll cook Indian food for you. I'm not a good cook though. Laughing

I'm planning to invite some people during Eid (after the end of Ramadan, which is due to start in less than 3 months). Even better if you make during that time Smile

Idon't like Korma that much...it's too blend for me. I know a Scottish doctor who LOVES Inidian curry and his wife can't stand it. Laughing

when i first moved to the States 15 years ago...I Starved.... let me tell U i missed my fave foods soooo much.....I hated the food here everything was so bland and yuk .....(as far as I was concerned)

I have always loved to cook west indian food ....I had no probs making that .....But PROPER indian food i had always gone to the local indian ......and i was at a loss..... so i bought some indian cook books .....and started learning ......its taken me a few years to get the tastes i wanted.....But i have them now Smile and btw Ash My Korma is to die for and not bland Smile

I have travelled a lot in my life so a lot of my cooking comes from the countrys i have been in .....and I add an Aja twist...... Very Happy

I lived in Morrocco in the 70s ash ......and i even tried to do ramadan one August.....ffs it nearly killed me .... Smile.but i lasted 2 weeks and I adore *harira* spelling ? as a matter of fact i love morrocain food full stop Smile oh and i love that fried bread in egg they do before dawn in ramadan ....I guess its like french toast Maroc Style ......

i am thinking what foods do i now like in the USA ???

Gotta be down south BBQs and collard greens etc etc

anyways are U a born brit ??? I am half maltese half english born in malta ......

lol i forgot i was in the recipe section Very Happy
Ash

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never tried Moroccan food... I'll have to try your recipe... Most of the dish that I tried from the Arab are just too blend, not spicy enough. I tried some African (nigerian) dish but it was too hot for me. In general, I'm too lazy to cook for myself.. Cooking only for me just doesn't make any sense to me. Why? Well, it takes me over on hour to finish cooking a simple chicken dsh but it takes fewminutes to finish it off. It's simply NOT worth cooking every day. That's why I cook once a every week and chuck them into the freezer. Student life, miserable but beautiful Laughing

/ No, Aja..I'm from Indian Subcontient ... Just doing my doing my degree in UK ... I haven't travel to various part of the world yet. I'd like to travel (like you) after I finish my study.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: