Toddler Served Margarita in Sippy-Cup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Toddler Served Margarita in Sippy-Cup Reply with quote

ANTIOCH, Calif. (AP) - Kim Mayorga was confused when her 2-year-old started making funny faces and pushing away the apple juice he had ordered at Applebee's. The explanation came when she opened the lid of the sippy cup and was hit by the smell of tequila and Triple Sec.

The restaurant staff accidentally gave Julian Mayorga a margarita Monday. He grew drowsy and started vomiting a few hours later and was rushed to the hospital.

"I wasn't going to make a big deal about it," the mother told the Contra Costa Times on Thursday, "but then he got sick."

The apple juice and margarita mix were stored in identical plastic bottles, and the manager mistakenly grabbed the margarita container to pour the boy's drink, said Randy Tei, vice president for Apple Bay East Inc., which owns the franchise restaurant and nine other Applebee's in the San Francisco Bay area.

The Mayorgas will be reimbursed for their medical bills, and Tei said the franchise group's restaurants will no longer serve apple juice and margaritas in similar containers.

"We absolutely believe it was an honest mistake," Tei said.

The serving appeared to have been accidental, Antioch police Lt. Pat Welch said. Mayorga said her son is now doing fine.

She said the company has been very apologetic and offered free meals, but she added, "If they think I'm going back there, they're ridiculous."
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While that's a terrible thing that happened and I am glad the little boy wasn't that ill it is nice to see people not jump to sue for some huge amount. It is also nice to see the restaurant just stepping forward and not passing the buck.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
While that's a terrible thing that happened and I am glad the little boy wasn't that ill it is nice to see people not jump to sue for some huge amount. It is also nice to see the restaurant just stepping forward and not passing the buck.

That's very true on both accounts. Although........the lady still has plenty of time to change her mind and sue. I can't believe the bartender didn't smell the booze emanating from the sippy cup as he/she was pouring it. The mother sais she smelled it right away. I'm glad the baby is okay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
Skylace wrote:

That's very true on both accounts. Although........the lady still has plenty of time to change her mind and sue. I can't believe the bartender didn't smell the booze emanating from the sippy cup as he/she was pouring it. The mother sais she smelled it right away. I'm glad the baby is okay.

I wondered about smelling the booze as well, pirty. You'd think you notice it smells different than apple juice.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if people get busy, they don't notice smells, especially in a restaurant where a different smell goes by every two seconds. I have more respect for AppleBees. I have gone there fairly often recently as they have a Weight Watchers menu. I have to say that (I guess since it wasn't my kid) that it appears to be an honest mistake, the restaurant stepped up and I will probably continue to go there.
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or was it a mistake? Was the kid jumping around causing chaos? They may have slipped it to the little nipper trying to konk him out ...

i'm just sayin' ...
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella-FL wrote:
or was it a mistake? Was the kid jumping around causing chaos? They may have slipped it to the little nipper trying to konk him out ...

i'm just sayin' ...

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: