Geldof's medal 'faux pas'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Geldof's medal 'faux pas' Reply with quote

Geldof breaks dress etiquette with major medal-wearing faux pas
(Daily Mail)
Updated: 2007-06-05 18:11

In black tie and tails, Bob Geldof is transformed from grungy eco-warrior to elegant senior statesman. But while the Live Aid organiser certainly looked the part at a sumptuous gala dinner at Hampton Court, he had managed to commit something of a faux pas. The former punk rocker had loaded his jacket with more medals than is considered correct at the Raisa Gorbachev Foundation annual gala on Saturday night.

Experts said it would have been more appropriate to wear the neck medal and breast badge of his honorary knighthood, awarded in 1986, to impress his host, former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev. But he went too far, also pinning the miniature version of the same medal on his lapel bar. Last night experts said it is not the 'done thing' to wear both versions of the medal. Geldof compounded the error by also wearing both versions of the rather obscure Sudanese Order of the Two Niles on his jacket.

The other two medals on his bar have been identified as the Chevalier dans l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres bestowed by the French Government in January 2006, and a medal of the Legion d'Honneur, which was established by Napoleon.

Gedolf, 56, last night said he picked up the whole outfit from a costume shop, but medal historians confirmed that the regalia was all genuine. William Spencer, from the National Archive, said: "It looks like Bob Geldof has duplicated the two types of medals on his dress. You should either wear the miniature medal bar or the larger medals instead. "It is a real dress faux pas to wear them all at the same time. For Bob to be legitimately awarded these honours it would be very surprising for him to then pick some up from a costume shop."

Geldof has been awarded an assortment of international honours for his charity work and contribution to music. He insisted the medals he was wearing were not his, adding: "I got them from a costume shop. A Russian fantasy type thing."

-------------------

I thought it was funny that the focus was on his etiquette rather than the fact that anybody with a soul would think he's a cunt for wearing them at all! If he's that far in with all these people then why does he appeal to the public for donations when the people he associates with could solve the majority of the problems he campaigns for?

Maybe it would be bad etiquette?

nyer
luke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's one of them now faceless, an establishment lackey
Ash

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you become addicted to power or the notion of power it is extremely difficult to stay away-- that's what happening to him and many others. That's why I like people who prefer to keep a low profiles despite their hard wroks.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fine line to balance. Sure you don't want to be an attention whore and wear big placards saying "Look at me, look at what I have done" like Bono or Geldof, and take away from the original good work, but it is nice to be acknowledged for your good works. It's not why you do it, but an added extra bonus. I wouldn't want to be Bono or Geldof, but I can sure see how it happens. Not a bad thing when people constantly tell you that you are wonderful.
nekokate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate him as much as I hate Bono. Fucking tossers!

Reminds me of an interview I saw with Michael Caine where he actually said "I don't open any post that's not addressed to Sir Michael, because I don't care to read a letter from someone who doesn't know the first thing about me".
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
Reminds me of an interview I saw with Michael Caine where he actually said "I don't open any post that's not addressed to Sir Michael, because I don't care to read a letter from someone who doesn't know the first thing about me".

That's good information for anyone intent on sending him a letter bomb.

I actually quite like Michael Caine. But in light of this comment, he does seem rather full of himself, doesn't he?

I guess that's what you get when you start giving kniggithoods to celebrities. It merely serves to justify inflated egos.
Ash

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We human beings are really weird- here is an exmaple....
Rabindronath Tagore (, a Begali), who won the Nobel for literature in 1913, got his knighthood in 1915 But later he renounced his Knighthood to protest against the 1919 Jallianwala Bagh Massacre in Indian Subcontinent. On the other hand, when there was talk about establishing a university in Dhaka ( now the capital of Bangladesh) he was against it (regardless of the fact that Kolkata (no more Calcutta) was the most important city at that time)! Yet, he, along with Kazi Nazrul Islam, are still the most famous writters of all time of Bengali/Bangla literature. He has the unique record of being the writter and composer of the national anthem of both Bangladesh and India!!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a nugget of information I'd never heard before, cheers Ash.

But I'm a bit confused about the connection you made between Calcutta and Dhaka.
Ash

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
But I'm a bit confused about the connection you made between Calcutta and Dhaka.

At that time, Kolkata was the centre of everything in the Indian subcontinent. Dhaka, though was an extremely vibrant city during that time, it was still below par to Kolkata in terms of attracting scholars. I was pointing towards looking down at people of another city by people who are highly respected. I can bet that most Bengalis/Bangalis don't know about it.

Nothing related to this thread:
Both Tagore and Islam's works are equally respected. But I kinda prefer Islam's work. He, Kazi Nazrul Islam (, the national poet of Bangladesh,) went to jail (during British rule) for writting and publishing poems that were extremely anti-british. He was an 'agitator' (now we don't hear this word against Iraqis or Afghanis, as it would conjure up all sorts of historical parables). One of his most famous poems is Bidrohi ('The Rebel). Just read the translation and you'll get a flavour of the sharpness of his words. He also wrote a poem/song about breaking the prison. Interestingly, he also fought in the 1st World War.

He never had education beyond high school and yet his works are now taught in graduate level study in Bangla Literature, laong with Tagore's work. If possible try to listen some of their musics. boths are extremely good. I don't think anyone can surpass them- in terms Bangla music, novels, short stories, dramas they are just unique. Each of them wrote more than 2000 poems and songs and music, and hundreds of stories. They compliment each other beautifully in terms of reflecting human life.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent stuff - I'm sure I'm not alone in that being the first thing I've learned about Bengali culture.
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a great poem Ash. More of it Smile

back to the mundane wonder of unimagined kind, didn't bono say that we have to wait 'till 2009 to find out that they are all a bunch of liars? Huh?? 2009 ?? Liars and prats together, a nice party with loads o' junk shop bling.
Ash

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Sauce wrote:
that is a great poem Ash. More of it Smile

There are only a few translation of Nazrul (and Tagore). Here is a link: http://www.nazrul.org/main_page/main.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: