Organic Food Still Leaves Environmental Footprint

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Organic Food Still Leaves Environmental Footprint Reply with quote

Interesting.... I know a lot of people who honestly thought that organic meant not only pesticide free but environmentally friendly shipping as well. I don't really see how you can ship them any differently than regular vegetables, though. But there certainly are some healthy benefits.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about in Canada, but here at least you can find most organic produce available at the local farmer's markets, where all the small traders come in from the country bringing their produce. I'm not sure exactly how much difference in fuel costs there are in that, but it's got to make a difference when supermarkets are importing fresh green beans from as far away as Kenya etc.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, it's amusing, but environmentally, organic farming isn't that great, more land use for it and also organic pesticides can be, and are, just as bad as man made stuff...but saying that, it does taste better...just have to make sure it's from local farmers...

There's a tomato place that grows fab tomatos in a rather poncy greenhouse thing not far from the in-laws, and they only transport to the new england area, so it's not to bad.
luke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know a lot of people who honestly thought that organic meant not only pesticide free but environmentally friendly shipping as well. I don't really see how you can ship them any differently than regular vegetables, though. But there certainly are some healthy benefits.

what would environmentally friendly shipping be?! Laughing rowing boat? the rest of it by bike? wink

it is more environmentally friendly, you cut out the manufacture and use of the chemical based plant feed and pesticides, you prevent the same stuff getting into the soil and water supply, its better for wildlife, its kinder on the land - but as soon as you start moving stuff around the world/country of course thats going to have an environmental impact.

the key is to only buy locally grown produce, and get back to eating seasonal produce, but people want the same stuff all year round now, and with the dominance of supermarket chains and there way of moving production around the planet in search of cheaper and cheaper produce and labour, and the decline in smaller shops and the farming industry that supported them, its getting more difficult Sad

i've noticed recently though tesco are starting to sell milk thats been produced locally - things will only change when consumers get clued up. its like factory farming, animals kept in cages in warehouses, eggs from caged hens - we could kill that industry tomorrow if people knew the reality and refused to support it.

i try to eat organic stuff, and meat from animals that lived outdoors and weren't pumped up on chemcials, but it is more expensive so i don't always ... its like organic mozzarella is twice the price of the normal stuff Sad

i'm thinking of getting an allotment though, i have to walk past it anyway to get to the shops, so i might as well grow my own Smile
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I'm not sure about in Canada, but here at least you can find most organic produce available at the local farmer's markets, where all the small traders come in from the country bringing their produce. I'm not sure exactly how much difference in fuel costs there are in that, but it's got to make a difference when supermarkets are importing fresh green beans from as far away as Kenya etc.

We've got plenty of farmer's markets, roadside stands, etc. so, yes that does save on transportation and fuel costs. However, I think that the majority of the major grocerystores and supermarkets don't always buy locally....... there is one major chain of grocery stores that has an entire organics line, but again, I'm sure there's so much money spent on shipping and so forth, that I'm not sure if there's any environmental benefit.

They do have a good selection of products though:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: