Chavistas assassinated by right wing hit squad in Venezuala

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Chavistas assassinated by right wing hit squad in Venezuala Reply with quote

Sad

Quote:
4th June 2007

The hit-man style executions of Dayana Caroina Azuaje and Gabriel Tovar on May 31st in San Martín (west of Caracas) after their participation in the “graffitti attack” on private TV channel Globovision are the latest in a growing list of selective executions being carried out against revolutionaries from the barrios.

This trend was described by Lina Ron, a chavista leader from the barrios, in an interview with VTV during the gigantic government march on Saturday June 2nd.

Ron read out the names of six chavistas who have been executed in the street in recent months and there is growing evidence that a campaign of selective assassinations of Bolivarians and chavistas is being carried out.

The effect of this campaign of terror is aimed to demoralize community movements and slow down the progress of revolutionary actions and conscience in the barrios. This urban execution campaign follows on the heels of the selective executions in the countryside of peasant leaders involved in the land reform program. So far since the Land Law was introduced in November 2001 more than 170 peasant leaders and agricultural unionists have been liquidated on the land.

The peasant executions are thought to be organized by big landowners using either local thugs or paid Colombian paramilitaries in the border states of Apure, Táchira and Zulia. In the case of the string of urban killings suspicions fall on paramilitary cells living amongst the general population in the Caracas barrios, since many young Colombians are said to have arrived in the last 18 months allegedly fleeing from the violence in their own country.

"Caracas, 31st May.
Last night after participating in a base ball game at the sports complex “Parque Naciones Unidas and while on their way back home, Dayana Carolina Azuaje, a teacher at the Armed Forces University (UNEFA), and her companion Gabriel Tovar, both leaders of the Simon Bolivar Coordinator (CSB) were machined gunned to death. Both were social revolutionaries belonging to the Simon Bolivar Coordinator, located in the 23rd January neighborhood in western Caracas.

The events happened in the Avenue San Martin near Plaza Capuchinos (western Caracas) at 10.30pm. The vehicle they were driving was intercepted and the occupants were machined gunned to death. Dayana was accompanied by her daughter and her nephew who were unharmed.

Tribuna Popular spoke to Juan Contreras, president of the CSB, who informed us that both Dayana and Gabriel had taken part in the protests held last week in FEDCAMARAS (bosses organization) and at the private TV channel Globovision. Both of these organizations are accused of being involved in the destabilization plan which is being directed against the Venezuelan people."

http://venezuelasolidarity.org.uk/ven/web/index.html
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that these murders won't stop anyone doing what's required. Maybe they'll have to take up arms themselves for protection. I just hope it doesn't get to a tit-for-tat situation
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it was the use of the term "assassinated" or my tendency to skim over words, but I horrifically misread this subject "Chavez assassinated by right-wing hit squad..."

In light of the article, I can't say I'm "glad," but certainly a bit relieved.

Hopefully the police/military can bring these events to an end and bring the perpetrators before the courts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: